Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #19,846 of 64,168
Aug 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #19,847 of 64,168
I was already really digging the sound of my ZS5s....but that was without using a headphone amp. Just now, i plugged in the CMOY, and WOW!!!! Incredible. Especially the bass. It is HUGE now and the overall sound is just remarkable. I can't believe IEM's can sound this good....especially for the $18 I paid.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #19,848 of 64,168
man i totally agree!!! I usually stay quite and never comment and just read but i just received these zs5's and i paired them up with my fiio q1 i'm in heaven..if burn in makes them sound better OMG!! totally worth the $20...i'm coming from a pair of shp95000 with mr. speakers alpha pads but i wanted something for on the go...buy them and like an Italian mob boss "forget about it"...btw i'm using stock tips so far and the upgraded silver cable..never bothered to even listen with the stock cable...i also purchased the bluetooth cable and will test it out in a bit when i'm brave enough to press pause and take these out my ears..lol

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:58 AM Post #19,849 of 64,168
Just got the ZS5. Feeling underwhelmed. What's the best tips for ZS5?

What don't you like about it? If it's too much bass, try the next smaller tip size (people have reported success with this fix). You can also try foam tips (Comply and Comply style copies).

If the comfort is an issue, try removing the memory wire. It's very easy to do and drastically improves the comfort.

What source are you using? The ZS5 is source dependent, so try different sources (hopefully other than a cell phone). An amp helps too, but some have reported that their amped ZS5 distorts at higher volumes. So YMMV.

Make sure your cables are plugged in properly - it's easy to switch 1 or both sides the wrong way, and then they'll be out of phase and sound like crap. There has been a least 1 QC issue where 1 or more drivers internally is wired out of phase - there's nothing you can do about that except return them. And some users have found that their cables wired incorrectly, causing an out of phase situation (despite being plugged in the proper direction). The correct way to plug them in is in my signature. And there are test audio files on youtube and audiocheck.net to verify that they are not out of phase.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #19,850 of 64,168
man i totally agree!!! I usually stay quite and never comment and just read but i just received these zs5's and i paired them up with my fiio q1 i'm in heaven..if burn in makes them sound better OMG!! totally worth the $20.
yup. I am just stunned at how great they sound with my CMOY. From metal to classical, they are just a pleasure to listen with.

right now, i'm listening to Johnny Winter's last studio album, and when he solos, it sounds like the guitar amp is in my cranium.

I'm very excited to receive my silver cable and Comply foam tips on Monday to see if these babies can go to yet another level. But if not, I'm in heaven already.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #19,851 of 64,168
An amp helps too, but some have reported that their amped ZS5 distorts at higher volumes.

Don't all speakers distort if driven too hard?

I kind of assume they do...

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #19,852 of 64,168
I was already really digging the sound of my ZS5s....but that was without using a headphone amp. Just now, i plugged in the CMOY, and WOW!!!! Incredible. Especially the bass. It is HUGE now and the overall sound is just remarkable. I can't believe IEM's can sound this good....especially for the $18 I paid.
Definitely better and bolder when amped

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #19,854 of 64,168
Definitely better and bolder when amped
I've never heard such a difference with amping before. The ZS5s are on steroids now! HUGE sound and bursting with musicality.

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #19,858 of 64,168

Users who are viewing this thread

Back