Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 14, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #19,876 of 63,922
Has anyone with removed wire figured out a way to make a sort of a strain relief, I imagine this could be difficult because you can't make it go past the plastic where it bends, unless you go over it.
So this isn't going to be very helpful if you've already stripped your memory wire... but I had similar concerns.
I opted to fashion a strain relief out of the memory wire by leaving about 1/4inch of it:
20170814_015916.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #19,878 of 63,922
I was already really digging the sound of my ZS5s....but that was without using a headphone amp. Just now, i plugged in the CMOY, and WOW!!!! Incredible. Especially the bass. It is HUGE now and the overall sound is just remarkable. I can't believe IEM's can sound this good....especially for the $18 I paid.

Yup, loved my ZS5 with my S7 Exynos and love them even more when plugged to SMSL Idea, huge improvement in terms of bass and soundstage, unbelievable sound quality for less than 100$ :beyersmile:

(long time lurker here, had to register just to say that indeed ZS5 benefit from amping and that SMSL Idea is a good match)

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #19,879 of 63,922
So this isn't going to be very helpful if you've already stripped your memory wire... but I had similar concerns.
I opted to fashion a strain relief out of the memory wire by leaving about 1/4inch of it:
Great idea!

I took it all off on my pair.

But seeing as how I am over the moon with the ZS5s, I'm going to order another set, and I'll do the same as you.....leave a small bit of the memory wire on.

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #19,880 of 63,922

Too late for me, but that's a great idea there buddy!

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #19,881 of 63,922
Awesome idea. As far as I can recall, outer sleeve is flexible enough to perhaps remove most of the memory wire and leave a bit of sleeve as a strain relief. I would be scared to leave memory wire all the way to the end of the sleeve as it could damage the cable, being that its sharp metal because of cutting. Maybe it's harder to do this than I think, but I could try it with silver cable, although it feels like a different material, the sleeve part. Without memory wire, cables tend to go all over the place if you move your head to the left/right (I think for most people it's like this), some weight system similar to ATE might work, but this problem is small and not in your face the way memory wire is.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #19,882 of 63,922
I just ordered a pair of ZS5's for £14. Is it ok to judge these with their stock cable? I'm not one for believing in "cable tone" though I'd be open to replacing an annoying cable if I know I already enjoy the iem. I'm sure I have some comply tips kicking about somewhere so that should be a ok.

I've not tried KZ's since the early days when I had their top iem: the KZ EDSE! They were kinda fun, but rather awkward to fit and far from detailed. I'm braced to see how far KZ have come.

Aug 14, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #19,883 of 63,922
I just ordered a pair of ZS5's for £14. Is it ok to judge these with their stock cable? I'm not one for believing in "cable tone" though I'd be open to replacing an annoying cable if I know I already enjoy the iem. I'm sure I have some comply tips kicking about somewhere so that should be a ok.

Hope you enjoy them! I love mine.

And i just received my package with Comply foam tips and silver upgrade cable for them. Have to go get the package from the mailroom when I get a chance.

I myself am not a believer that the cord will make an audible difference, but hopefully it will be less prone to tangling. The stock one is pretty bad.

Aug 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #19,884 of 63,922
It's like Christmas here!

xZGCZR0.jpg

Just received Comply tips and upgrade cable for my ZS5.

And also received the Yin JW P8s.

Should be a fun evening of music listening, chi-fi style.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #19,885 of 63,922
WOW!....I'm just stunned! So far, I've been burning-in the KZ ZSE for over 65 hours and been listening to them for several hours, as well. And I have to say that I'm in disbelief! I did some research and one dynamic works as a sub-woofer, while the other driver works as a midrange and tweeter set-up! These are truly EPIC for their price! They even slightly better the ZS5 in a more comfortable listening experience, even though they have more of a similar characteristic in sound, which is incredible for the ZSE and the price your paying for!

All in all, these are EPIC for their price and their unique sound signature!

Here are some of my PIC's.....

PIC's below...*Courtesy of KZ

....Extremely cheap for such an expensive sound signature. I personally think they are truly EPIC!

-Clear

How much did you buy it for? They're around US $6.49 right now for the mic version on eBay, but don't know if the price is still going to drop.

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #19,886 of 63,922
How much did you buy it for? They're around US $6.49 right now for the mic version on eBay, but don't know if the price is still going to drop.

Lemme check on that for you LOL

funny pics.jpeg

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #19,887 of 63,922
Aug 14, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #19,888 of 63,922
Awesome idea. As far as I can recall, outer sleeve is flexible enough to perhaps remove most of the memory wire and leave a bit of sleeve as a strain relief. I would be scared to leave memory wire all the way to the end of the sleeve as it could damage the cable, being that its sharp metal because of cutting. Maybe it's harder to do this than I think, but I could try it with silver cable, although it feels like a different material, the sleeve part. Without memory wire, cables tend to go all over the place if you move your head to the left/right (I think for most people it's like this), some weight system similar to ATE might work, but this problem is small and not in your face the way memory wire is.
On mine at least the metal wire is on the front/outside of the cable sheath and the cable bends away from it in use so I'm not too terribly worried about it damaging the cable and it ends up providing additional strain relief... I was originally going to try to yank it out entirely but mine were quite securely mounted and I didn't want to damage the cable inside or at the edge of the housing, so i just sheered it off just below the end of the sleeve and bent it slightly away from the cable. I also put a slight bend inwards in it to help direct the cable over my ear.

My camerawork needs some work but maybe you can kinda see what I'm talking about:
20170814_154234.jpg

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #19,890 of 63,922
Ahh screw the price, just bought the KZ ZSE from eBay, can't wait to try it when it arrives xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back