Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 15, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #18,962 of 63,966
I screwed up.

I tried to erase the 'ZST' logo on my KZ ZST candy by soaking it in a nail polish remover for around 20 mins, just like what this dude did with his ZST candy:

But instead making the clear coat peeled off along with the logo, the nail polish just ruin the the ZST's shell, it weakened the plastic, changing it shape and made the pins (for securing to the front shell) chopped off instantly because it's too weak.

GpoH6YS.jpg

The clear coating not even lifted off completely. I don't even think a nail polish is strong enough to ruin a plastic, especially within 20 mins, so I'm not cautioned and leave it for 20 mins in the first place :^(

Lucky for me, my buddy still haven't throw away his broken ZST carbon so I asked him for a sparepart.

fff0dZO.jpg

Looks cooler TBH, especially with matching translucent tips from my Plextone X41M. It doesn't look like exclusively being sold at LGBT parade anymore :^)

That's said, lesson learned: don't soak plastics on nail polish remover and don't fully trust random poster.

Anyway, does anyone know whether the 2-pins male plug on KZ cable is removable and reusable? I'm thinking on making a blue braided copper cable with pins from my mate's ZST cable, but it looks like the pins plastic is molded on the cable itself? I hope not tho.

187637662_84a300ce-7e25-4704-ad9e-53e4efb0ba97_520_390.jpg

Here's what happened.

Nail polish remover for the most part is actually just acetone.

ABS, a common plastic used in things(such as legos) is cheap and quite durable. However, it reacts with acetone and will literally melt and turn to slush if left in acetone for too long. See "abs slurry" for 3d printers if you want to know more.

It appears the ZST Colorful shell is indeed just translucent ABS plastic so you must be very careful when applying acetone/nail polish remover when trying to remove the logo. Otherwise it'll deform.

I actually probably wouldn't even bother trying to remove the lettering. Too risky.

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #18,963 of 63,966
Where can I find a comparison between zs3 and zs5, for both details and signature. Also is the einsear similar to the zs5 having similar price?

PS: weird how one says the zs5 is strongly vshaped and another mid centric :):) could it mean there are manufacturing differences?

Jul 15, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #18,964 of 63,966
Jul 15, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #18,965 of 63,966
Can you elaborate?
Zs5 bass great subbass that is focused , centered midrange and airy clear trebled.not missing any details

Mochill sums it up perfectly.

The detail level, separation, layering and extension at both ends are superior. The sub bass in particular is fantastic. To me they sound very similar to full size headphones.

I'm not saying the ZS3s are bad, but I think the ZS5s are superior to anything I've listened to within their price range.

I've barely listened to my ZS3s since buying them months ago, but haven't been able to take the ZS5s out of my ears!

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #18,966 of 63,966
PS: weird how one says the zs5 is strongly vshaped and another mid centric :):) could it mean there are manufacturing differences?

Yes it`s weird. Usually I agree 100% with HiFi-Chris for example but not with ZS5 tho. ZS5 to me is similar to KZ ANV 2nd gen which was most neutral sounding KZ IEM to me before ZS5 but lacked slightly in subbass extension and quantity and also required proper medium sized hard-skirt silicones (blue core CX300 replacement tips) in front ear chamber to sound best.
ZS5 fixed all those issues for me and are superior in every aspect, just using stock tips and everything is great!
JVC Spiral Dot`s are also great with ZS5 btw.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #18,969 of 63,966
Here's what happened.

Nail polish remover for the most part is actually just acetone.

ABS, a common plastic used in things(such as legos) is cheap and quite durable. However, it reacts with acetone and will literally melt and turn to slush if left in acetone for too long. See "abs slurry" for 3d printers if you want to know more.

It appears the ZST Colorful shell is indeed just translucent ABS plastic so you must be very careful when applying acetone/nail polish remover when trying to remove the logo. Otherwise it'll deform.

I actually probably wouldn't even bother trying to remove the lettering. Too risky.

I see, thanks for the info. I know it's basically acetone, but I don't expect it to react as fast as dipping plastics on harsher substance like wall paint remover.

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #18,970 of 63,966
To anyone who wants to remove the logos/brandings on their KZs, use vinyl wrap instead. Just heat it up with a hair dryer to make it stick on a non flat surface.

Here's what I did to my gloss ZS3

Done that before :). It looks great on first week, but because the ZS3 is too curvy, I find that even the tightest fit of vinyl application, it will eventually get loose (I applied 'Oracal' brand vinyl on every possible surface with multiple vinyl parts and heated it).

I find that simply spray it (without disassembly it) with thin layer of black matte spray paint is easier and make better result, makes the $8 looks like $60.

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #18,971 of 63,966
Done that before :). It looks great on first week, but because the ZS3 is too curvy, I find that even the tightest fit of vinyl application, it will eventually get loose (I applied 'Oracal' brand vinyl on every possible surface with multiple vinyl parts and heated it).

I find that simply spray it (without disassembly it) with thin layer of black matte spray paint is easier and make better result, makes the $8 looks like $60.
I only applied the vinyl on the left and right logos. It wont come off easily cause it's a flat surface

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #18,972 of 63,966

I only applied the vinyl on the left and right logos. It wont come off easily cause it's a flat surface

Jul 15, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #18,973 of 63,966
What about sanding the faceplate with some fine grit sandpaper?

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #18,974 of 63,966
I screwed up.

I tried to erase the 'ZST' logo on my KZ ZST candy by soaking it in a nail polish remover for around 20 mins, just like what this dude did with his ZST candy:

But instead making the clear coat peeled off along with the logo, the nail polish just ruin the the ZST's shell, it weakened the plastic, changing it shape and made the pins (for securing to the front shell) chopped off instantly because it's too weak.

GpoH6YS.jpg

The clear coating not even lifted off completely. I don't even think a nail polish is strong enough to ruin a plastic, especially within 20 mins, so I'm not cautioned and leave it for 20 mins in the first place :^(

Lucky for me, my buddy still haven't throw away his broken ZST carbon so I asked him for a sparepart.

fff0dZO.jpg

Looks cooler TBH, especially with matching translucent tips from my Plextone X41M. It doesn't look like exclusively being sold at LGBT parade anymore :^)

That's said, lesson learned: don't soak plastics on nail polish remover and don't fully trust random poster.

Anyway, does anyone know whether the 2-pins male plug on KZ cable is removable and reusable? I'm thinking on making a blue braided copper cable with pins from my mate's ZST cable, but it looks like the pins plastic is molded on the cable itself? I hope not tho.

187637662_84a300ce-7e25-4704-ad9e-53e4efb0ba97_520_390.jpg
Man, nail polish remover is THE thing you want to get away from plastic! Acetone is very aggressive to the petrol-based polymers.
But the final result with the faux carbon fiber from the regular zst look good!

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #18,975 of 63,966
Got the ZS5 yesterday. First impressions are wow. Widest soundstage of all kz range. Good bass and treble extension. Treble not agressiva, very smooth and detailed. Slightly v shaped signature with some sources like mobile phone and computer, more balanced when amped. More microdinamics and overall detail then ZS3. I believe these have a more "audiophile" sound signature. Very enjoyable. Got the silver cable as well, and I can confirm it is unusuable with the metal earguides. Had to trim them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back