Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #17,566 of 64,058
regarding the ZS3, i've read in my local forum someone compring the sound of the matte (the older model) to the glossy (newer model). the matte has less bass, more forward mids and treble.
if @Drakis said he couldn't find any foam in the matte version, maybe it confirms that the foam removal mod on the glossy ones will make it sound like the matte version?

Does anyone have both versions? If not, while the flash sale is still going I could order the glossy and give it a listen.

Also, interesting that the silver cable fits both ZST & ZS3, as my ZS3 cable doesn't fit my ZST. I think the pins might be too big.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #17,567 of 64,058
Does anyone have both versions? If not, while the flash sale is still going I could order the glossy and give it a listen.

Also, interesting that the silver cable fits both ZST & ZS3, as my ZS3 cable doesn't fit my ZST. I think the pins might be too big.

Both versions are supposed to be the same, just cosmetic differences. Same as the ZST carbon vs colorful.
Of course, there could be batch variations...

The pins are the same diameter, just the wire housing (holding the pins) that are different. ZS3 plug technically fits ZST as it's smaller, but it'll be loose as just the pins will fit. ZST plug is too big for ZS3 and won't fit at all.

May 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #17,568 of 64,058
Both versions are supposed to be the same, just cosmetic differences. Same as the ZST carbon vs colorful.
Of course, there could be batch variations...

The pins are the same diameter, just the wire housing (holding the pins) that are different. ZS3 plug technically fits ZST as it's smaller, but it'll be loose as just the pins will fit. ZST plug is too big for ZS3 and won't fit at all.

For me, the ZS3 pins don't fit the ZST whatsoever. I know I ordered the ZS3 right as it came out, so mine's probably first batch, perhaps before they fixed the issues.

May 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #17,569 of 64,058
May 12, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #17,570 of 64,058
Im very close to getting my 1st pair of kz iems thanks to Scramblers recommendation as well as his detailed and helpful review on the zs3s.

Was thinking of getting 2 pairs of zs3s theyre only 8 bucks but maybe just get 1 pair and play it safe. Are they regularly on sale for this price?! Should I get the upgraded cable as well? Im not bass sensitive and from what I read the silver cable lessens bass.

Another thought I had was should I just skip ahead to the newest model the zs5? Seems not enough reputable head fiers have this newest model in hand though to make an accurate comparison.

Also my favorite tip thus far is the sony hybrid medium size hopefully the zs3/zs5 works well with hybrid tips.

I havent really had an over the ear iem before besides the ttpod but I shouldnt have an issue adjusting to it.

Think my best bet is just to get the one pair of zs3s and by the time I recieve them and try them out, there will be plenty of reviews on the zs5 and at that point I can grab a pair of those as well if they test well with the trusted head fiers here :)

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #17,571 of 64,058
@loomisjohnson That sounds like a very final post, are you not planning to try anymore KZs in the future?
it's sorta like my john coltrane records--they're all good, but there's a lot of them and if i hover around them i miss out on the uniquitous other stuff pouring out. +, as you know as well as anyone, some of these other budget contenders like einsear and boarseman are zooming to the top the heap.

May 12, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #17,572 of 64,058
it's sorta like my john coltrane records--they're all good, but there's a lot of them and if i hover around them i miss out on the uniquitous other stuff pouring out. +, as you know as well as anyone, some of these other budget contenders like einsear and boarseman are zooming to the top the heap.
I just saw the new John Coltrane documentary in the theater a couple of weeks ago. Definitely worth seeing. But the man was so productive they could only give a sketch of his output.

May 12, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #17,573 of 64,058
Any USA residents order your kz zs3s from GearBest before? I know GB is legit but im a little concerned on the potential shipping time and cost.

I have in fact ordered from a similar chinese company called fasttech because im big into ecigarettes and vaping (which is why I know GB is legit ive heard of them from the vaping community)

I typically get my fasttech orders in 3 weeks or less. If GB takes longer than 3 weeks obviously I should go with FT im thinking. Also I dont know if GB charges for shipping and what their rates are to the USA, whereas FT has free shipping for all their items.

On FT though there is a standard version and microphone version... is there any difference other than the obvious that one has a mic?

standard:
https://m.fasttech.com/p/6066701

microphone version:
https://m.fasttech.com/p/6066700

There is a 10% off code as well so the price is relatively close to GB the code is ILOVEMOM for anyone interested which brings the price of the standard version to 8.40 usd, and the microphone version to 9.12. Now if GB charges 1-2 dollars for their cheapest shipping then FT would be the cheapest option. Again though have no idea of GBs shipping rates as I have never ordered from them, couldnt find much info hoping someone can enlighten me....

Thanks

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #17,574 of 64,058
Any USA residents order your kz zs3s from GearBest before? I know GB is legit but im a little concerned on the potential shipping time and cost.

I have in fact ordered from a similar chinese company called fasttech because im big into ecigarettes and vaping (which is why I know GB is legit ive heard of them from the vaping community)

I typically get my fasttech orders in 3 weeks or less. If GB takes longer than 3 weeks obviously I should go with FT im thinking. Also I dont know if GB charges for shipping and what their rates are to the USA, whereas FT has free shipping for all their items.

On FT though there is a standard version and microphone version... is there any difference other than the obvious that one has a mic?

standard:
https://m.fasttech.com/p/6066701

microphone version:
https://m.fasttech.com/p/6066700

There is a 10% off code as well so the price is relatively close to GB the code is ILOVEMOM for anyone interested which brings the price of the standard version to 8.40 usd, and the microphone version to 9.12. Now if GB charges 1-2 dollars for their cheapest shipping then FT would be the cheapest option. Again though have no idea of GBs shipping rates as I have never ordered from them, couldnt find much info hoping someone can enlighten me....

Thanks
GearBest has free shipping and you can pay a couple dollars more if want it quicker. I always opt for the faster shipping and usually get my stuff in 2 weeks.

They have amazing customer service and sent me a replacement pair of ZS3 for free when I told them I had a channel imbalance. Turns out the imbalance was due to shape of my ears, not the IEMs, but I wouldn't have figured that out if not for the free 2nd pair.

May 12, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #17,575 of 64,058
Cool. Yea I knew they were legit just couldnt find many experiences of shipping time etc. Will definitely take advantage of the flash sale then. Might grab a pair of the kz atrs too for 5 bucks. :)

One more thing wheres the best place to pick up the silver upgrade cable and is it worth it?

Appreciate the help

May 12, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #17,576 of 64,058
Cool. Yea I knew they were legit just couldnt find many experiences of shipping time etc. Will definitely take advantage of the flash sale then. Might grab a pair of the kz atrs too for 5 bucks. :)

One more thing wheres the best place to pick up the silver upgrade cable and is it worth it?

Appreciate the help
Well, if you want it quickly then Amazon will ship it to you in 2 days.

https://www.amazon.com/KZ-ZS3-Upgrade-Replacement-Earphones/dp/B01LWL9S2E

I got mine for ~$7 bucks each from AliExpress, but they took over a month to reach me. I didn't notice the cables changing the sound any, but I prefer the way they feel to the springy, sticky stock cables.

May 12, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #17,577 of 64,058
I found this from ebay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/142211694104?_mwBanner=1

Buy 2 get the 3rd 5% off.

About 7 bucks with shipping.

Feel like these silver cables are the same all coming from the same factory whether you get it from amazon, ebay, aliexpress or penonaudio.

Id rather save a few dollars and put it towards some new tips. Spider, have you tried soft silicone tips like sony hybrids on the zs3? Im asking because I like hybrids the best even more than comply. I could be convinced to try foams out again but might try making some homemades first with some ear plugs and a whole puncher cause the complys are pricey as are the hybrids. I need to find some good generic hybrid clones or another good single flanged soft silicone tip. I hate buying that assortment package of hybrid tips with the small, medium and large sizes when I only use the mediums.

May 12, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #17,578 of 64,058
The stocj ZS3 cable is actually quite nice. Try it before upgrading.

There's a seller who has the ZST silver cables for $4.99 and often puts it on sale for $4.69. Havent checked if he has the ZS3 ones and kinda lazy to check since I'm on mobile but it's the cheapest place I've found for the silver cable.

GearBest is legit, although package delivery ranges from 2 weeks to 2 months lol.

May 12, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #17,579 of 64,058
Bought the silver cable for the ZS3. Like many others here, can't really comment about the change in sound. As far as my ears are concerned, there isn't any. I was also pretty pissed to find out - again! - that screwing memory wire from hell. Thankfully it can be removed in a matter of minutes, and without it the silver cable is pretty, pliable, less springy and more comfortable than the stock. Plus, no mic, which I prefer.

With the silver cable + Slater's foam removal mod the ZS3 is definitely a killer IEM. I find its sound signature so much to my liking, and when I listen to some well-produced and mastered music they shine even more.

May 12, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #17,580 of 64,058
Received a pair of ZST's today from Amazon. Immediately they seemed off. The right one is clearly louder than the left. Is this a common occurrence? Lowering the right by 3-4db's completely fixes the issue. I contacted Amazon and have a replacement pair coming tomorrow. I'm just hoping this isn't a common thing and I'm going to have to go through half a dozen pairs before I find ones that aren't unbalanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back