Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 11, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #17,536 of 63,958
I'm late to the ZS3 mod but i have to say slater's mod really does make a difference in my ZS3. Previously the bass was a bit too intense, boomy and a bit of bloat. Treble extension is there but is more laidback. After the mod, it seems to be attenuating some of the bass response resulting in lesser midbass, much more controlled with less to almost no bleed into midrange. The treble response seems to be accentuated by a little making them little more forward and the overall presentation is no longer dark but kinda sacrificing its previously smooth qualities. I don't think it'll be a good mod for treble sensitive user who's already enjoying ZS3 in its own.

I've replaced the red screen with a metal screen coz while removing the screen i kinda damaged it in the process, gotta protect inner driver from earwax so having a screen definitely improves usage span.

For ZST, i don't think i'll do the mod as it wasn't that ear hurtingly bright to me and i tend to agree with Coil about using dampening filters for the BA as it would result in better consistency and of course lesser chance of damage to the driver itself as we never know when would the cotton just drop in all the way into the inner workings of the BA driver that could possibly risk damaging its inner components. But it'd be a cost effective try anyway + ZST is not that expensive so if its value doesn't bother you much it ain't gonna hurt trying.

Personally i found foam tips helps tame down the brightness of ZST so i think it'd be great to give foam tips a try 1st.

Where did you get the screen?

May 11, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #17,538 of 63,958
Where did you get the screen?

I get mine from here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dus...sh-3-8mm-4mm-4-2mm-4-7mm-5mm/32800734441.html

They're ridiculously cheap - less than $1 for 10. I always get the assortment of sizes, but if you know exactly what size you need just specify. I've used them a number of times now, both on multiple different IEMs and also as a dust screen on the inside of headphones and IEM shells when I drill new vents.

There's already adhesive applied - you simply peel & stick.

May 11, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #17,539 of 63,958
Matte version was the original. Glossy came later.

So was the matte version the defective one that came with the crushed sound tube?

crushedzs3 - Edited.jpg

May 11, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #17,540 of 63,958
You can move BA deeper into nozzle :wink:

Mine were glued in there with a generous helping of glue. I'd be afraid if I tried to move it lower I would risk damaging the driver. Not worth it IMO. It would also change the sound moving it lower. While it may change the sound in a positive way (negating the need for the foam filter), I'm perfectly happy with my foam filter mod. It's doing exactly what I hoped it would do, was free, and it was easy to get consistent pieces trimmed to size with scissors. No mismatches from side-to-side either, as verified with multiple high frequency sweeps. Even Steven!

Thanks for the idea though - it's good to know that's an option for down the road if I ever need to mod any other hybrids.

May 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #17,541 of 63,958
So was the matte version the defective one that came with the crushed sound tube?

I would expect so. I was supposed to get a set from that batch but when KZ recalled them the seller redacted my order asking if I wanted a refund or was willing to wait for them to be fixed. Obviously I waited.

IMAG1041.jpg

May 11, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #17,542 of 63,958
I would expect so. I was supposed to get a set from that batch but when KZ recalled them the seller redacted my order asking if I wanted a refund or was willing to wait for them to be fixed. Obviously I waited.

So what type were the replacements you received? Matte or Shiny?

And if matte, would you be willing to peek under the mesh screen and see if yours has the black foam stuffed inside the plastic tube?

May 11, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #17,543 of 63,958
So what type were the replacements you received? Matte or Shiny?

And if matte, would you be willing to peek under the mesh screen and see if yours has the black foam stuffed inside the plastic tube?

Matte (hence the pic above). Nope, sorry, not taking the screen off. Don't trust myself not to ruin them.

May 11, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #17,544 of 63,958
Matte (hence the pic above). Nope, sorry, not taking the screen off. Don't trust myself not to ruin them.

Sorry, I didn't notice that.

OK, no problem. Just curious, as mine are both shiny. Thanks anyways.

May 11, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #17,545 of 63,958
regarding the ZS3, i've read in my local forum someone compring the sound of the matte (the older model) to the glossy (newer model). the matte has less bass, more forward mids and treble.
if @Drakis said he couldn't find any foam in the matte version, maybe it confirms that the foam removal mod on the glossy ones will make it sound like the matte version?

May 11, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #17,547 of 63,958
regarding the ZS3, i've read in my local forum someone compring the sound of the matte (the older model) to the glossy (newer model). the matte has less bass, more forward mids and treble.
if @Drakis said he couldn't find any foam in the matte version, maybe it confirms that the foam removal mod on the glossy ones will make it sound like the matte version?

Wow, sure sounds like it! Interesting indeed. And if it turns out to be true, here's yet another case of KZ quietly tweaking a model without publicizing it.

Hopefully I can find a few more people to look inside of their matte units, so we can verify that they're all indeed missing the black foam (@actorlife is the only verified case so far).

May 11, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #17,549 of 63,958
Just received the silver cable upgrade. Is there a way to tell which connector is the right and which is the left

It's molded onto the ends of the cable. It's REALLY hard to see. There's a tiny, tiny R and L on 1 side of each of the ends.

Also, make sure that once you do identify the R & L, that you also plug them in the correct direction. There's a small curve on 1 end that's easy to miss.

Like in this photo:

ZSx 2-pin Tip - Edited.jpg

May 11, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #17,550 of 63,958

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back