Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 10, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #17,506 of 64,222
KZ sale is still going. Not quite as cheap as before but still great deals.

KZ.jpg

May 10, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #17,507 of 64,222
ZS5 ordered! Blue and gold (which I think looks awesome!). Also as the wire housing looks exactly like the ZS3 cable, and the silver one for that can be found easily, although that shop also sells the new gold cable separately with ZST and ZS3/ZS5 plugs. BTW the comments on taobao about the wire quality, the way I read it the guy complained about the stock cable and then said the gold cable was much better. But I'm hoping the stock cable with mic is ok, as they finally have the mic with volume up and down buttons! :D

Weird though that the ZS5 isn't on the official KZ tmall site...but that taobao shop link posted earlier (thanks!) looks legit enough.

Also not sure why ZS3 is selling at almost double the price to ZST these days on taobao...

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #17,508 of 64,222
I just spoke with Jim at NiceHCK. He's offering a $10 pre-order discount on the ZS5. So I cancelled my previous order and ordered again after the price adjustment. $29 for the blue with the mic and silver cable.

May 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #17,509 of 64,222
Guys, I just read more taobao comments on the ZS5 (translated by google translator)....

There is a lot more positive feedback than yesterday! One person calls them "the best KZ ever" another person said "these can easily cost a lot more, into the 1,000's (RMB's of course). :ksc75smile:

....can't wait to get mine!

May 10, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #17,510 of 64,222
Guys, I just read more taobao comments on the ZS5 (translated by google translator)....

There is a lot more positive feedback than yesterday! One person calls them "the best KZ ever" another person said "these can easily cost a lot more, into the 1,000's (RMB's of course). :ksc75smile:

....can't wait to get mine!

LOL just as it is on amazon, I always take positive feedback on taobao with many grains of salt. Negative reviews are actually rare as taobao sellers can pay cash to buyers who are willing to delete/edit their negative reviews.

The ZS5 was only selling since may 8, so all the feedback should be immediate out of box impressions for now. Let's see who on head-fi will be the first to get theirs!

May 11, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #17,511 of 64,222
I'm late to the ZS3 mod but i have to say slater's mod really does make a difference in my ZS3. Previously the bass was a bit too intense, boomy and a bit of bloat. Treble extension is there but is more laidback. After the mod, it seems to be attenuating some of the bass response resulting in lesser midbass, much more controlled with less to almost no bleed into midrange. The treble response seems to be accentuated by a little making them little more forward and the overall presentation is no longer dark but kinda sacrificing its previously smooth qualities. I don't think it'll be a good mod for treble sensitive user who's already enjoying ZS3 in its own.

I've replaced the red screen with a metal screen coz while removing the screen i kinda damaged it in the process, gotta protect inner driver from earwax so having a screen definitely improves usage span.

20170511_115525.jpg

For ZST, i don't think i'll do the mod as it wasn't that ear hurtingly bright to me and i tend to agree with Coil about using dampening filters for the BA as it would result in better consistency and of course lesser chance of damage to the driver itself as we never know when would the cotton just drop in all the way into the inner workings of the BA driver that could possibly risk damaging its inner components. But it'd be a cost effective try anyway + ZST is not that expensive so if its value doesn't bother you much it ain't gonna hurt trying.

Personally i found foam tips helps tame down the brightness of ZST so i think it'd be great to give foam tips a try 1st.

May 11, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #17,512 of 64,222
LOL just as it is on amazon, I always take positive feedback on taobao with many grains of salt. Negative reviews are actually rare as taobao sellers can pay cash to buyers who are willing to delete/edit their negative reviews.

The ZS5 was only selling since may 8, so all the feedback should be immediate out of box impressions for now. Let's see who on head-fi will be the first to get theirs!

Yea, true. ....I'm just trying to stay positive and eliminate some of the grains of salt and see if "KZ" got it right this time. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for this model. Hopefully, I'll get mines by Sunday....I hope. :triportsad:

May 11, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #17,516 of 64,222
So from suggestions i think kz zs3 is best bass headphone /?...and what what about rock zircon against kz zs3 ?..or any other suggestions..??

"Best" is a relative term. Best for what? It's not the 'best' out of every available IEM from any manufacturer, nor the 'best' KZ ever (although it's one of the 'best' KZs). It is definitely the 'best' between the Zircon and the ZS3 though.

I love my Zircons (white version is better than the black in terms of overall sound), and the Zircon has more 'booming' bass quantity than the ZS3. That's what the Zircon does better than any other in-ear I own - skull crushing bass.

But the ZS3 w/foam mod absolutely destroys the Zircon in ever other category - bass quality, mids, treble, build quality, cable quality (removable/replaceable/upgradeable too), microphonics, comfort, and price (ZS3 half the price of the Zircon).

Bassheads will definitely approve. With the foam mod, it has 80-85% of the bass quantity of the Zircon, but without the bass being boomy and bloated. If you want that last bit of boom & added smoothness (but with some bloated bass), just don't do the foam mod (which no foam mod bumps it to about 90% of the bass quantity of the Zircon).

You can't go wrong with the ZS3 (modded or not, it sounds good either way). At it's current sale price of $7.99, it's a no brainer. At the $5.99 it was selling for a day go, it's downright criminal.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #17,519 of 64,222
Regarding the ZS3 mod, i removed the red grills and i cannot find any foam. One thing i noticed is that the red "funnel" doesn't stick outside that much and it's not at an angle that allows me to look inside (like in the mod pics).
I stick the needle as far as i could but as i can feel, it is only touching plastic.
I have the matte version of the ZS3, not the shinny one as in the mod pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back