Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 10, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #17,477 of 63,930
Anyways don't think I'll be getting the ZS5 cuz the whole plastic trying to be metal thing just looks so... cheap (but I guess it is cheap). The gap in between the two halves of the housing especially is just ugly. The box however is definitely a step up in quality from what we can see but unless the sound quality is incredible, I don't think I'll pick these up for now

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #17,478 of 63,930
Well according to google translate:

"Professional acoustic tuning ZS5 sound can be in the 45KHz band still maintain a certain sensitivity response, which is almost more than 95% of the market headphones can not do the level"

OK, so they should have said "Professional acoustic tuning ZS5 sound can be in the 45KHz band still maintain a certain sensitivity response, which is almost more than 95% of the market headphones can not do the level, and 0% of human beings can hear. But pets will be able to enjoy tuning super #1."

http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/HearingRange.html

So what good is having headphones that can produce 22-45KHz unless you're going to stick them in the ears of your pet, a bat, or a dolphin? I mean, c'mon - seriously?

Here's something interesting to try - use this test (http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php) and see how high you can hear. I would be shocked if anyone other than a young child can hear over 20KHz. Mine is 17KHz, which is really good based on my age according to this chart of hearing degradation by age:

hearing loss over time - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #17,484 of 63,930
May 10, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #17,485 of 63,930
Wow, big change in opinion one post you're recommending them.

Then slating them, why the change of heart?

I take that back. I still recommend the KZ IE7 (5 left on Ali), it's just that we need to buy new tips, making the price almost double. I find the only tips that come with it that are Large, actually don't have a good seal. When I push the headphones deeper into my ear the sound gets much better. These headphones are a must have, if you can handle all the negatives (news tips, weak construction, etc) and the pricey cost.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #17,486 of 63,930

I sure hope that NiceHCK then sends me just the cables they have shown and not any of that gold stuff. Btw, I did your ZS3 mod, taking out the little bit of foam but then replacing red filter. I don't know if it's just psychological or not, but my impressions are that the ZS3 sounds even more fantastic than before. The highs are a bit more sharp for sure and the sound is more forward so some of the laid-back smoothness is gone, but I find the overall balance of the sound signature to be far better.

May 10, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #17,489 of 63,930
I sure hope that NiceHCK then sends me just the cables they have shown and not any of that gold stuff. Btw, I did your ZS3 mod, taking out the little bit of foam but then replacing red filter. I don't know if it's just psychological or not, but my impressions are that the ZS3 sounds even more fantastic than before. The highs are a bit more sharp for sure and the sound is more forward so some of the laid-back smoothness is gone, but I find the overall balance of the sound signature to be far better.

Well, if you do receive the gold ones, check them out thoroughly and contact the seller if there are any issues. I've bought from that seller before (as have many others on HF), and they seem to have good customer service.

As far as the ZS3, it's definitely not just psychological. The removal of the foam definitely cleans up some of the shortcomings of the ZS3 (mainly the bloated bass). And if you noticed bit sharper highs, it's a good thing that you kept the red screen. Because removing the red screen increases the brightness. Not to an uncomfortable level (for me anyways) - the ZST and ED9 is WAY brighter (to the point where it can get painful).

You're right though, removal of the foam does remove a bit of the smoothness (but adds detail/clarity). But smoothness is kind of inversely related to clarity - it's like using the smoothing tool vs a sharpening tool in a photo editor. Smoothing looks nice and hides flaws, but at the expense of detail.

I do prefer smoothness whenever I'm listening to lower quality audio, because it's very forgiving - the Rock Zircon and VJJB K4 are the smoothest in-ears I have. I can listen to 128kbps mp3 and they sound really good. But there's no detail or clarity.

May 10, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #17,490 of 63,930
I would be shocked if anyone other than a young child can hear over 20KHz. Mine is 17KHz, which is really good based on my age according to this chart of hearing degradation by age:

Mine is probably between 17khz and 16khz which considering I'm mid forties is fairly decent, I think. I'm tempted to jump on the ZS5 train straight away but given that the prices will drop a bit, I don't need the extra frequency and the last two KZ releases have seen QC issues I'm going to let others be guinea pigs this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back