Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #17,026 of 64,007
  ATR is flat on both sides and has terrible extension. The ATE's don't have the soundstage, but the signature is definitely better and they have much more extension in lows and highs. I would never recommend the ATR's over the ATE's to anyone here.

Wow! I can't understand how the ATR's are that bad!?....They are one of my favorites when used on a DAC or professionally amped, as well as the ATE's! Too many "QC issues" purchasing the ZST or the ZS3. Bought both the ZST and the ZS3 "twice" only to encounter issues with both the make and structure and the lack in balance of the left and right drivers as well.

There is more potential than the ears can hear on the ATR and ATE....IMO! 
wink.gif

I don't have the ATE but want to chime in that ATR is okay BUT you need a decent source! I found it meh from a phone so the total cost of sound output upgrade plus ATRs may not be that cheap anymore 
wink_face.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #17,028 of 64,007

I see alot of youtubers are "praising" the ATE's but no one here recommended them, why is that so?

I've never rated the ATE but the ATR is one of the best value for money earphones available.

Totally agree. ATE 5th gen has slight difference in soundstage (depth presentation, soundstage distance in width), slightly more relaxed treble, slightly smoother/softer bass. 
Overall I would say ATE has more "laid-back" long listening session sound. 
But note that differences are not big and depend on source gear/files and amping. ATR really starts shining when amped littlebit. Also tips should be used silicone ones with deep fit (KZ starlines are recommended by me).

I see alot of youtubers are "praising" the ATE's but no one here recommended them, why is that so?

To me the ATR is a direct upgrade to the ATE. Better build quality with a VERY similar but more well-rounded signature. Can't go wrong with either.

Agree.

The ED7 sound signature is only the slightest variation of KZ's new ATR, and as I said, those differences are a result of the driver housing.

Don`t agree - ATR has different driver inside as far as I know. Btw, ATE also has different driver inside from both (confirmed by my own "surgery").
Also, I`ve done something that most of here hasn`t done - modded and tested different KZ drivers in same custom housing head-to-head.
Even if drivers look same, they may sound different due to different tuning by KZ. 
Unless it comes straight from KZ representative, I wouldn`t belive or spread such conclusions on housing size "tuning".
Though, with some IEMs housing shape, size and venting makes changes to sound. 

Would comment more but I gotta go atm.....

EDIT:

ATR is flat on both sides and has terrible extension. The ATE's don't have the soundstage, but the signature is definitely better and they have much more extension in lows and highs. I would never recommend the ATR's over the ATE's to anyone here.

I know :) And I would only recommend the ATE if you couldn't get access to an ATR.

LOL @ khigly and his/her obsessive subjective opinion on certain IEM`s.... despite many rate them highly and review them. No objectivity.

Agree with You B9, I would recomend ATE only if ATR is not available. Though, ATE is better in modded configuration (FF-mod) than even modded ATR.

It offers a more balanced listening experience if you don't want the extra bass of the ZS3 or the brightness of the ZST. It has it's place in the KZ range. There's plenty of people who find the ZST too bright and the ZS3 too bassy, this is the ATR's niche. 

Doing some A/B with the ATR and ZST right now and I can agree with this statement.  Not quite as bassy as the ZS3, but isn't as sharp as the ZST.  I still stand by my statement that you lose midrange clarity with the ATR though.

That`s where modded ATE beats ATR (modded or not) and sounds more dynamic/natural (little better lusher/richer mids).
slightly better imaging and soundstage.

Wow! I can't understand how the ATR's are that bad!?....They are one of my favorites when used on a DAC or professionally amped, as well as the ATE's! Too many "QC issues" purchasing the ZST or the ZS3. Bought both the ZST and the ZS3 "twice" only to encounter issues with both the make and structure and the lack in balance of the left and right drivers as well.

There is more potential than the ears can hear on the ATR and ATE....IMO!  
wink.gif

I don't have the ATE but want to chime in that ATR is okay BUT you need a decent source! I found it meh from a phone so the total cost of sound output upgrade plus ATRs may not be that cheap anymore 
wink_face.gif

Agree! Decent DAC source + little amping make very noticeable jump @ SQ coming from typical smartphones and cheap mp3 players.

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #17,030 of 64,007
Been taking little listening pause from music and today put on ZST(c) with Liquid tension Experiment playing... it sounds very good ...but my opinion still stays same as before - ZST doesn`t have harsh highs but there is little tip in highs that I notice immediately and with longer listening it can get too much. It is noticeable with cymbals, hangs, hi-hat and sometimes with synth.
But it is still very good IEM with very good soundstage and imaging.
It is still littlebit V-shaped signature and lacks little lushness/naturality/warmth in midrange instruments and sometimes vocals but still very good IEM... I`m just nitpicking on it 
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #17,032 of 64,007
Heh, just jumping by. Been busy with my new house restoration and very very soon going to be father - so, not much time to mess with modding and hobbys
tongue.gif

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #17,033 of 64,007
Heh, just jumping by. Been busy with my new house restoration and very very soon going to be father - so, not much time to mess with modding and hobbys:p

Congrats man,great to hear it! Don't forget to educate your successor with good music from day 1! :wink: And fortunately, there will be someone to pass your modding skills on to. :smiley:

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #17,034 of 64,007
I have been reading up on kz for a while and have had my ZST 's for a little over a week and am very impressed they sound as good and better than some over ear and inner ear 100 to 300 dollar earphones I have.
I mostly listen threw android phone threw Power Amp and viper4android mod , between a little eq tweeks and bass and clarity tweaks these KZ IM's got me sold no more spending big bucks for great sound.

The only problems I have with these:
1-The cable vibration is really loud but i can deal with positioning and a clip or something.
2- i need to find a tip that will seal longer without re positioning so much I have tried all combinations of all silicone tips i have but no luck   ( I have some foam tips on order hoping this is the answer) 

Apr 5, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #17,035 of 64,007
  I have been reading up on kz for a while and have had my ZST 's for a little over a week and am very impressed they sound as good and better than some over ear and inner ear 100 to 300 dollar earphones I have.
I mostly listen threw android phone threw Power Amp and viper4android mod , between a little eq tweeks and bass and clarity tweaks these KZ IM's got me sold no more spending big bucks for great sound.

1-The cable vibration is really loud but i can deal with positioning and a clip or something.
2- i need to find a tip that will seal longer without re positioning so much I have tried all combinations of all silicone tips i have but no luck   ( I have some foam tips on order hoping this is the answer) 

Foam tips are the only way I can use the ZST. The stock tips cause irritation after 20 mins or so and I have to adjust constantly. I'm waiting for the KZ foams, but for now I'm using the medium Znari T500 eartips and fit, comfort and seal are superb.

Apr 5, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #17,036 of 64,007
  Foam tips are the only way I can use the ZST. The stock tips cause irritation after 20 mins or so and I have to adjust constantly. I'm waiting for the KZ foams, but for now I'm using the medium Znari T500 eartips and fit, comfort and seal are superb.

I actually ended up using a larger silicone tip from a different iem and kind of turned them into a shallow insertion iem. They no longer insert deep into my ear and kind of just "cup" my ear canal. There is still a seal and it is super comfortable.

Ive had these for a bit of time and i am completely amazed at how good they sound! I think they may be better than my ttpod T1E, but im not sure since i lent them to a friend so take that with a grain of salt

Apr 6, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #17,038 of 64,007

Get the KZ silver plated upgrade cable to solve the microphonics problem. It reduces it significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back