Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 5, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #15,961 of 64,160
Can anyone compare ED7 with ED10? I am planning to buy one of them soon.

I have the colorful ZSTs, but I am now looking for an even cheaper KZ product (<$10) that has a traditional design, that I can just throw in my college bag daily without worrying too much about damaging them. I love the ZSTs, but their sound signature sometimes seems too bright and fatiguing for extended periods of listening. I know that both ED7 & ED10 don't have the same soundstage or clarity as ZST, but that is okay. I would still like them to have good bass but not as bright as the ZSTs.

I have the ED7s but not the ED10s. I have to say that the bass is alright on the ED7. It's not boomy or punchy or anything. Some will say it's not super defined. At least I don't feel like my head will explode listening to house music.

I am trying my best to say that bass is not the selling feature of the ED7s.I remember the ED9s having way more bass.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #15,962 of 64,160
I had to use the Small fit on the Comply tips I bought.

So, if I buy the ZST Colorful, is there only ONE version of those? Or is it a crapshoot? Are there multiple versions of the ZST Colorful? I would have bought them off Amazon with Prime but I waited and now the only ones left on Amazon ship from China.

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #15,963 of 64,160
  I had to use the Small fit on the Comply tips I bought.

So, if I buy the ZST Colorful, is there only ONE version of those? Or is it a crapshoot? Are there multiple versions of the ZST Colorful? I would have bought them off Amazon with Prime but I waited and now the only ones left on Amazon ship from China.

AFAIK, there is only 1 colorful version of the ZST. I got mine from Amazon for $20 as I did not want to wait for them to ship from China, but you are right, they are unavailable now. I heard that Gearbest has the official KZ store and you can get them here for $17. Aliexpress and Penon audio are other well known stores.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #15,964 of 64,160
Just talked a bit with KZ by their qq and seems no news about the ZSR yet so be patience we must for now. Apparently they just started work so probably too many things to sort out before things going smooth. Probably working needs some Burn-in as well LOL

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #15,965 of 64,160
I have the ED7s but not the ED10s. I have to say that the bass is alright on the ED7. It's not boomy or punchy or anything. Some will say it's not super defined. At least I don't feel like my head will explode listening to house music.

I am trying my best to say that bass is not the selling feature of the ED7s.I remember the ED9s having way more bass.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if there are any other KZ iems with a traditional design, that have dark/recessed treble & recessed mids, but good punchy bass? I am looking for something that is less bright. 

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #15,966 of 64,160

The appeal is that for a $100 Chi-fi I could actually be getting a $300 quality IEM (if it were branded). Personally, I'd take the $90 ZSR over any sub-$300 Shure or Marshall or Sennheiser. And warranties and buying locally is all well and good, but the benefits of it apply only if you live in an actually civilized part of the world. Unfortunately, my dear homeland of Croatia is far from it. Customer protection is pretty much a fantasy where I live.

A few years ago I bought a Philips DAP from a local distributor, warranty and all. And it wasn't cheap either, around $60-70 at the time. As it turned out, the DAP had a firmware bug - which was minor for other people apparently, but rendered the DAP useless for me.

First, it took me 15 days of haggling with Philips customer support. At first, of course, they misunderstood my problem completely. Then they presumed I was using the unit wrong. Then they demanded I send videos and proofs of the bug. Then finally, after days of silence I got a reply basically saying: "Yes, it's a bug in the firmware. Deal with it."

Oh, and the extras in the retail package? A USB charging cable. They didn't even include the complimentary earphones, as cheap as they'd probably be. Even a $17 Ruizu gave me one.

When I went to return the unit to the local store, they wouldn't accept it. I couldn't even exchange it for another DAP (I was even willing to pay the price difference). The only thing they could do, the clerk said, was send the unit to their official repair shop and have the tech guys look at it for any defects. And since there weren't actually any (software bugs didn't count), I was stuck with a brick worth $70. So the warranty was worth diddly-squat.

Even before that, when I was a teen in 8th grade, I took a substantial portion of my savings and bought myself a Sennheiser earbud. Don't remember the model, but it was around $30. The thing, with the usual brand names budget cables not being worth a penny, crapped out on me rather soon - the left earbud went dead, despite me being extra careful with them. Guess what happened when I went to the local store to complain? Yeah, you've guessed it.

Extras with that Sennheiser? Honestly, I don't even remember if I got extra foam pads, as I remember wearing them padless for a time - which begs me to presume there weren't any in the retail box.

A few months after that, I went for another Sennheiser, this time over-ear and even costlier, since I thought I didn't go high enough price-wise the first time, and had it coming with the cheap cables. As it turned out, the cables on this one were equally as bad, and again a driver failed, only the right one this time. Did I get my money back? Or a replacement unit? No, I didn't.

And extras? Perhaps a carrying pouch, something? Nope. Chuck Testa.

So, warranties from my local distributors are pretty much worthless to me. In fact, I avoid dealing with local distributors as much as I can. They're more expensive and they have a far poorer selection of everything. In fact, they can all go bankrupt if you ask me, the way they treat customers.

And, as imagined, I've acquired quite a dislike for the brand names in the process, after getting the middle finger for putting my trust in them (there were more earphone failures after that 2 Senns). What's more, the cheapest KZ I've got, the ATE-S, beat both Senns in sound quality (and I'm pretty well sure time will prove it will beat them in build quality also).

On the other hand, the Chinese sellers on E-bay and Aliexpress treat me as an actual valued customer (albeit in broken English). That's also why, for my step up in IEMs, I didn't even try local stores, or brand names. I went straight online and - after extensive reading - got myself a PMV A-01 mk. II which I presume I'll be a very happy owner of, probably far happier if I'd had spent that money on another brand name.

EDIT: And look at the amount of "luxury" the Chi-fi IEMs had got us expecting: detachable cables at a price as low a $10-15. If a Chinese IEM costs $20+ we expect detachable cables almost as a right, not an extra. But do people expect such cables with a $30, $40, $50... even a $100 brand IEM? No, they don't. They don't even regard it a shortcoming!

I can wholeheartedly agree with your rant. I posted my own a few pages back. This is on spot.

I dont really care about brandname stuff anymore, even though i do own quite a bit of it.
My $250 Sony MDR-1RBT crapped out because of a design flaw. So Did my K550.
My KZ RX hasnt crapped out yet, it's about the same age, even though it's dented and scratched to all hell.

I've drank the brandname koolaid far too many times.
I'm just gonna buy stuff from companies that dont have the resources to design failure points to make me buy one again.

Feb 5, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #15,967 of 64,160
  Thank you for your reply.

Do you know if there are any other KZ iems with a traditional design, that have dark/recessed treble & recessed mids, but good punchy bass? I am looking for something that is less bright. 

So I listened to the ED7s some more today. I am having an absolute blast with Neil Young. 

Yeah, the bass good. It's definitely punchy. It's just not as loud as you'd expect. It's like you have to get used to them, because most other earbuds/earphones have boosted treble and bass. The ED7s are just sort of balanced. I take it back. Just buy them' They're around $7 and sound awesome, especially with folksy guitar music.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #15,968 of 64,160
  So I listened to the ED7s some more today. I am having an absolute blast with Neil Young. 

Yeah, the bass good. It's definitely punchy. It's just not as loud as you'd expect. It's like you have to get used to them, because most other earbuds/earphones have boosted treble and bass. The ED7s are just sort of balanced. I take it back. Just buy them' They're around $7 and sound awesome, especially with folksy guitar music.

Thank you. There are 2 versions of ED7 - standard and mini. Apart from the size, are there any differences, especially in the sound signature, between the two?

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #15,971 of 64,160
  Can anyone compare ED7 with ED10? I am planning to buy one of them soon.

I have the colorful ZSTs, but I am now looking for an even cheaper KZ product (<$10) that has a traditional design, that I can just throw in my college bag daily without worrying too much about damaging them. I love the ZSTs, but their sound signature sometimes seems too bright and fatiguing for extended periods of listening. I know that both ED7 & ED10 don't have the same soundstage or clarity as ZST, but that is okay. I would still like them to have good bass but not as bright as the ZSTs.

the ed10 has more tighter, bass than the ed7 and would be a good choice--it does have a smaller stage than the zst but good overall clarity. the ed3c might also fit the bill--it has a more traditional v-shape with recessed mids

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #15,972 of 64,160
what's the difference between ZS1, ZS2 and ZS3? Is the ZS3 an updgrade or latest version of the other two? What can you prefer if I wanted big soundstage with bass like you're in a movie theater that is packed with clarity, detail, separation/imaging, not too sharp treble, good for listening to drum covers? My new choices are KZ ZST, ZS1 and ED9. I read most people say the soundstage in the ZS1 is like being in a movie theater which is the widest they ever heard in this price point, and I like how you can get two different sound signatures on the ED9 which is also airy for soundstage. Looking forward to the detail, imaging/separation and clarity on the ZST. Is there a KZ product that offers the full package in what I'm looking for?

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #15,973 of 64,160
Thank you. There are 2 versions of ED7 - standard and mini. Apart from the size, are there any differences, especially in the sound signature, between the two?

I only have the big ED7s so I can't comment on the small ones.

From what I understand, the appeal is that these are cheap as crap but punch way above their weight, right?  Might pick up a pair.

Any generic Chinese earbud will absolutely destroy a similarly priced earbud from the likes of Sony, Philips, Skullcandy, Panasonic etc...

The real problem is that there are too many choices, people also hype the max out of brighter earphones. So finding the perfectly tuned earbud for you can be tricky, unless you like really sharp treble.

I only bought 3 pairs of China earphones:

- Aukey C2: dead on arrival, left piece not working. Boosted treble + bass, recessed mids. Narrow sound. $10.
- KZ ED9: super sharp treble (painful), boomy bass, super wide sound. Disappointing mids, sounds "thin". $12
- KZ ED7: Sweet spot. Warm & smooth. Just the right amount of treble & mids. Could use a little more bass, but bass is clean and punchy. Sounds wide like the ED9s. Dirt cheap $7.

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #15,974 of 64,160
Any generic Chinese earbud will absolutely destroy a similarly priced earbud from the likes of Sony, Philips, Skullcandy, Panasonic etc...

Oddly, the Sony E808+ which is dirt cheap even by KZ standards, and an earbud & not IEM, is really quite well received and for some people is preferred over a very respected and similarly inexpensive VE Monk+.

Feb 6, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #15,975 of 64,160

not necessarily. japanese made ones from Audio technica, radius or Zero audio can stand their grounds. in fact, build quality aside i think i prefer ath clr100 and radius nef11 than any of chinese iem i've tried

also cellphones manufacturer sells decent quality iem for low price nowaday, look at the quadbeat 3 for example, its only $10 nowaday and the build quality and Quality Control is definitely better than KZ.

i think people giving chinese earphones too much credits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back