Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 6, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #15,976 of 63,960

not necessarily. japanese made ones from Audio technica, radius or Zero audio can stand their grounds. in fact, build quality aside i think i prefer ath clr100 and radius nef11 than any of chinese iem i've tried

also cellphones manufacturer sells decent quality iem for low price nowaday, look at the quadbeat 3 for example, its only $10 nowaday and the build quality and Quality Control is definitely better than KZ.

i think people giving chinese earphones too much credits

Yeah, that's possible. I am basing this on cheap SONY IEMS I bought at the airport recently. That's my frame of reference. They were labeled as "crystal clear sound". They had so much treble and no soundstage. The wire was also terrible. And then you look online and see 500 4~5 star reviews on amazon. Most reviews were really basic and said nothing more than "cheap, sounds good & fits well". It's the same story with the Philips SHE3590 which even get hyped up on head-fi. They sound just like the SONYs. Go figure. People don't know what they're missing! 

I am sure that there are some obscure IEMs from more reputable brands out there. But it's hard to find them when the market is so saturated. 

Meanwhile, I am using the KZ ED7s and thinking "if these would be any cheaper, they'd be free". It's astonishing to get good sound out of $7 IEMS. That said, the ED9s share more in common with the Philips and SONYs, namely shrill artificial treble. 

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #15,982 of 63,960
Gah, Gearbest scammed me.
They claim the package got lost in the mail and they didn't even care when i said it will probably be forwarded back to them, so no ATR for me.:frowning2:

Have you checked tracking? How long has it been since it shipped out? Some of my Gearbest orders have taken 8-10 weeks to arrive but they've all gotten to me eventually.

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #15,983 of 63,960

not necessarily. japanese made ones from Audio technica, radius or Zero audio can stand their grounds. in fact, build quality aside i think i prefer ath clr100 and radius nef11 than any of chinese iem i've tried

also cellphones manufacturer sells decent quality iem for low price nowaday, look at the quadbeat 3 for example, its only $10 nowaday and the build quality and Quality Control is definitely better than KZ.

i think people giving chinese earphones too much credits

I have owned quite a few pairs of KZ myself (e.g. ATR, ZN1, ED10 ...), and while the build quality is nothing to shout home about, it is the price-to-performance ratio that the Chinese IEMs are doing well in. Back in the days when Beats are not even released, you usually have two main tiers of audio gear - audiophile grade from the major brands e.g. UE, Shure, AKG or cheaper ones from the commercial brands e.g. Phillips, Pioneer. The low-mid range of earphones is severely lacking.

With all the globalization and opening up of markets, the influx of OEM makers makes this low-mid range segment more competitive, and this leads to us consumers benefitting from it as well - from affordable KZ IEMs all the way to CIEMs.

Just my two cents

Feb 6, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #15,985 of 63,960
  Gah, Gearbest scammed me.
They claim the package got lost in the mail and they didn't even care when i said it will probably be forwarded back to them, so no ATR for me.
frown.gif

Apologize, can you PM me your order number? i can check it and make refund.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #15,989 of 63,960

the ed10 has more tighter, bass than the ed7 and would be a good choice--it does have a smaller stage than the zst but good overall clarity. the ed3c might also fit the bill--it has a more traditional v-shape with recessed mids

Hey @loomisjohnson, just wondering what your take is on the Brass Back ED11's? I found mine to be even if not just a little more pronounced in the mid region to the 10's? I keep seeing so many comparing to the ED10 and was wondering why I'm seeing nothing about the ED11, could it be they are not offered anymore?

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #15,990 of 63,960
Hey @loomisjohnson
, just wondering what your take is on the Brass Back ED11's? I found mine to be even if not just a little more pronounced in the mid region to the 10's? I keep seeing so many comparing to the ED10 and was wondering why I'm seeing nothing about the ED11, could it be they are not offered anymore?

Iread that the 11 is a refinement of the 10s signature but haven't heard it myself.i still prefer the ed9, but it's hard to find fault with the 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back