Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 15, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #9,616 of 64,160

@carltonh
, how would You compare ATE soundstage vs. Yinjw V2 ? Though, You seem to have S version of ATE unfortunately.

I just A/B'ed the V2 and ATE-S, and they are extremely similar soundstage and SQ. The primary sound difference is the V2 has a bit more upper treble extension, but not much more, they are both warm bass centric, but definitely not V-shaped. I think the V2 has the tiniest bet more details, but that may just be a product of the treble extension. I don't use the ATE-S much because they take time to get a good fit (I eventually can). I have J-Lab large tips on the ATE-S, which I think are about identical to Spiral Dots. These make the end of the ATE-S nozzle almost flush with the front of the tip. This unusual config seems to maximize the highs for my ears.

Thanks for info! Despite You having S version of ATE, I find your impressions similar to mine. Yinjw v2 has better microdetails in highs and soundstage is similar with ATE having slight more frontal depth but v2 slight better transparency and separation. Also instruments/sounds own soundspace/scape is more separated/distinctive and transparent on V2.

Feb 15, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #9,617 of 64,160
Hey B9,

Happy to hear you're feeling better! Your review/comparison makes me a happy bunny ! I hope the 2 pairs of EDR2 coming my way (with mic) sound as you described, because I very much like what you wrote. Balanced, with slightly boosted subbass and treble, airy, good soundstage and nice clarity and detail is ticking lots of boxes!

I'm enjoying my Monk earbuds so much atm that IEM's will just get some listening time when I need better isolation, and want to hear more subbass. I don't have the cash to blow on higher tier stuff. Having slightly boosted subbass and a good soundstage will hopefully prevent me from missing the ATE, and having a more airy sound with decent clarity and detail (does slightly boosted treble translate into decent treble extension ? ) will hopefully not make me miss the Monk's too much when going with IEMs. Fingers crossed!

Either way, I'll have to be patient, ordered with a seller that sold me 2x EDR2 with mic for 10$ but he's taking 2 weeks to process the payment. In the meantime he changed the price to 9$50 per pair.. It'll probably take 2.5 to 3 months before I get to rock these here in Brazil.. You guys are lucky :wink: ! I look forward to more KZ reviews in the meanwhile, and other people's experiences with the HDS3, Z1/S4, ZN1 Mini and EDR2.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #9,618 of 64,160

EDR2 vs HDS3
 ​

​
Since I'm finally feeling better, and have been all talk about the EDR2 since I got them with very little actual information dropped, I figured now would be a good time to compare them with the HDS3 which I have also put a lot of ear time into recently. So, here we go:

I have enjoyed my time with the HDS3, but I feel that the EDR2 is a step above in every way. The HDS3 has an airy, slightly thin presentation, especially when coming from the HDS1 which was somewhat intimate and occasionally thick sounding. The EDR2 is just as airy sounding, but it has much better separation and clarity. The HDS3 sounds a little claustrophobic when a/bing them since sounds lack their own distinct space. While the HDS3 tones down the midbass bloat the HDS1 could occasionally exhibit, it still sounds a bit midbassy compared to the EDR2. It is also the more v-shaped of the two and vocals, especially female, do not come across as clear as they do on the EDR2. The HDS3 exhibits some hollowness in it's bass slam, and doesn't dig into the same subbass regions of the EDR2. The HDS3 also isn't as natural sounding as the EDR2. For some reason the HDS3 comes across to me as being slightly incoherent, possibly due to an oddly boosted lower midrange, and as a result I still think even the HDS1 is the better iem. 

The EDR2 isn't a v-shaped bass monster. In fact, I would almost go so far as to call it the most balanced KZ to date. It does exhibit a mild boost to the subbass regions and treble, but they are minor. They lean towards being slightly warm sounding. Where the EDR2 impresses me most is in it's clarity and detail, and it's ability to move sound around accurately. These are areas where only the ANV come close, with the EDR2 most clearly besting it in soundstage presentation. 

Also to note, when using the EDR2 or HDS3 for calls (no mic on the EDR2, used just for improved listening), voices comes across miles more clear on the EDR2. They sound very thin and brittle through the HDS3 which I found a little disconcerting. On the plus side, the in-line mic and control setup on the HDS3 is really convenient and works excellently with my HTC One M8. I would love to see KZ carry it over to other models.

In summary, if I had to choose between the two I would take the EDR2 hands down. It costs less and sounds better, though you do end up giving up the in-line mic of the HDS3 which I really like. The HDS3 is a good iem, but I feel it lags behind the best of recent KZs (that I've tried) in sound quality; ie. EDR2, ED9, ED4, HDS1, ED3c "The Acme" (and the ANV, which is an oldie but a goodie).

- B9

Hi Would it be possible to have a comparison between EDR2  AND ED3?
TNX

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #9,621 of 64,160
   Hi guys. Received my KZ9's.... A silly question. How remove the filter? It seems very tight... 

Edit: solved! I have to push and turn right.

If you mean ED9, you should be able to just unscrew them..

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #9,622 of 64,160
I think he is talking about some other IEM? ED9 doesn`t have any push & turn right "system"
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #9,623 of 64,160
   Hi guys. Received my KZ9's.... A silly question. How remove the filter? It seems very tight... 

Edit: solved! I have to push and turn right.

They are just threaded but they do screw tight and I've never had mine back out either. I find it easier to unscrew them by gripping the rubber ear tips but if you have thin tips put some old dog'er tips on to take them on and off before putting your listening tips back on
wink_face.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #9,624 of 64,160
  I know it's not KZ, but I just got the Yinjw Wooden V2, and am thoroughly impressed. It is like crossing the ZN1 mini with the HDS3 (my favorite KZ out of 5 I own) but with a faster, more impactful responce, and a little better micro-details than any KZ I've heard. If the HDS3 is the best IEM I've ever heard under $10, then the Wooden V2 is the best under $15, maybe equal to the LG Quadbeat 3 which is probably the best I've heard under $20.

Do you mean the IE800 V2?  Or is "Wooden V2" the actual name?

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #9,625 of 64,160
  Do you mean the IE800 V2?  Or is "Wooden V2" the actual name?

The Aliexpress pages often mention IE800 in the title, but I don't think that is part of the name, just an attempt to capture search terms for high end IEMs. It isn't physically or (I assume) sonicly a clone. (And there are definitely some physical clones of the IE800 that I haven't heard.) On the box, nothing except for "YINJW" is in English. I've assumed from what other people have posted, "Wooden V2" is as close to the proper model name as we will get unless a native Chinese speaker wants to correct us.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #9,626 of 64,160
Hey B9,

Happy to hear you're feeling better! Your review/comparison makes me a happy bunny ! I hope the 2 pairs of EDR2 coming my way (with mic) sound as you described, because I very much like what you wrote. Balanced, with slightly boosted subbass and treble, airy, good soundstage and nice clarity and detail is ticking lots of boxes!

I'm enjoying my Monk earbuds so much atm that IEM's will just get some listening time when I need better isolation, and want to hear more subbass. I don't have the cash to blow on higher tier stuff. Having slightly boosted subbass and a good soundstage will hopefully prevent me from missing the ATE, and having a more airy sound with decent clarity and detail (does slightly boosted treble translate into decent treble extension ? ) will hopefully not make me miss the Monk's too much when going with IEMs. Fingers crossed!

Either way, I'll have to be patient, ordered with a seller that sold me 2x EDR2 with mic for 10$ but he's taking 2 weeks to process the payment. In the meantime he changed the price to 9$50 per pair.. It'll probably take 2.5 to 3 months before I get to rock these here in Brazil.. You guys are lucky :wink: ! I look forward to more KZ reviews in the meanwhile, and other people's experiences with the HDS3, Z1/S4, ZN1 Mini and EDR2.

I've ordered mine too some weeks ago and still not shipped yet... Getting on my nerves, because Chinese NY is already few days ago.

Feb 16, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,627 of 64,160
I've ordered mine too some weeks ago and still not shipped yet... Getting on my nerves, because Chinese NY is already few days ago.

Alright guys, I guess I'm finally going to add a pair of EDR2's to my cart. Guess one can never have too many KZ's! Goodbye cash
redface.gif
LOL

Feb 16, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #9,628 of 64,160

Alright guys, I guess I'm finally going to add a pair of EDR2's to my cart. Guess one can never have too many KZ's! Goodbye cash
redface.gif
LOL

YOu could pick something worse to add. And they can easily be found for under 7 CAD, which is what, 50 cents US right now? I put em up there with the Monk in the value for your buck category.

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #9,630 of 64,160
Same here, here goes an EDR2 in my cart too thanks to hype lol
I hope they live up to it. I'd love to hear some improvement on treble side. The main area where KZ is yet to shine the most. I'd love airy highs without sibilence. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back