Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 13, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #9,603 of 63,961
I have had just little time with them but they sound surprisingly good. Quite balanced with a hint of sibilance, but I have to listen more before I can say for sure..[/quot I was quite surprised at how good they are. Very tiny but big sound. Those micro drivers are amazing aren't they

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #9,604 of 63,961
 I think I received fakes of the ed9. Try as I can, I cannot for the life of me get the brass filters off. they seem to permanent. I notice most people get the genuine ones on Alibaba, however i got my pair on Amazon from what looks the official KZ dealer. Kinda confused

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #9,605 of 63,961
   I think I received fakes of the ed9. Try as I can, I cannot for the life of me get the brass filters off. they seem to permanent. I notice most people get the genuine ones on Alibaba, however i got my pair on Amazon from what looks the official KZ dealer. Kinda confused

The filters are very easy to change on my ed9. Just twist counter-clockwise to take them off. Would be a bummer if you got fakes. Sound difference between brass and gold filters is HUGE. I prefer the golds with the largest tips although this makes the highs fairly recessed. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #9,606 of 63,961
If anyone is interested I just listed my KZ S3's on the for sale forum for half price. I'm selling off some of the iem's I don't listen to...just have way too many.

My ZS1's are on feebay.

My 2 sets of ED10's are sold.

If anyone is interested message me with what model you like as I probably have it.

Feb 14, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #9,607 of 63,961
I know it's not KZ, but I just got the Yinjw Wooden V2, and am thoroughly impressed. It is like crossing the ZN1 mini with the HDS3 (my favorite KZ out of 5 I own) but with a faster, more impactful responce, and a little better micro-details than any KZ I've heard. If the HDS3 is the best IEM I've ever heard under $10, then the Wooden V2 is the best under $15, maybe equal to the LG Quadbeat 3 which is probably the best I've heard under $20.

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #9,608 of 63,961
I have both, V1 and V2 Yinjw woodies (I have rebuilt shells) and despite having littlebit elevated bass in stock configuration, I find their overall SQ littlebit better than most KZ IEM`s. They do need some tweaking to get bass more balanced and tighter. In stock configuration bass is littlebit "soft" but not boomy or overpowering, just small lack in tightness. What is interesting, their bass doesn`t bleed into other frequencies (to my ears) and they do need perfect fit/seal to really "shine". My favourite budget IEM atm is V1 WOM-mod which is slightly better than ATE-FF mod but they are not far apart. While I really like ATE-FF mod large soundstage (with retained vocal focus), I find it`s highs to be littlebit "grainy" sometimes (cymbals/hi-hat) and on some recordings back-vocals/details littlebit too laid-back. Yinjw`s have better all-around imaging/soundstage (also quite large) for different genres than ATE imo.
In stock configuration (with silicone tips) I find ATE and Yinjw V2 woodies to be almost in same league/level, just little different presentation/imaging but I can see V2 being good option when ATE fit is an issue.

Feb 15, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #9,609 of 63,961
  I know it's not KZ, but I just got the Yinjw Wooden V2, and am thoroughly impressed. It is like crossing the ZN1 mini with the HDS3 (my favorite KZ out of 5 I own) but with a faster, more impactful responce, and a little better micro-details than any KZ I've heard. If the HDS3 is the best IEM I've ever heard under $10, then the Wooden V2 is the best under $15, maybe equal to the LG Quadbeat 3 which is probably the best I've heard under $20.

How would you describe HDS3's sound signature? Is it airy? 

I have received an imbalanced pair but from whatever I could gather from its sound I definitely think that this can be my favorite KZ. Already ordered for a new HDS3 for better evaluation.. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #9,610 of 63,961
  How would you describe HDS3's sound signature? Is it airy? 

I have received an imbalanced pair but from whatever I could gather from its sound I definitely think that this can be my favorite KZ. Already ordered for a new HDS3 for better evaluation.. 

A little bit airy, more so tan the KZ ATE-S, ED10, ED4, ED8, ZN1 Mini I own (So I guess out of 6). But I think of it as warm balanced. If I think of the Puro IEM500 as balanced, then the HDS3 adds a slight but even bump to the mids, midbass, subbass, but not upper mids or highs. All this is still a small bump, so pretty balances still relative to 90% of IEMs, including KZs, but I wouldn't describe it as a strong airy presentation. Maybe the EDR2, S3, or Z1/S4  when they arrive would be a better competitor for that when they arrive here, already ordered.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #9,611 of 63,961
@carltonh, how would You compare ATE soundstage vs. Yinjw V2 ? Though, You seem to have S version of ATE unfortunately.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #9,612 of 63,961
  @carltonh, how would You compare ATE soundstage vs. Yinjw V2 ? Though, You seem to have S version of ATE unfortunately.

I just A/B'ed the V2 and ATE-S, and they are extremely similar soundstage and SQ. The primary sound difference is the V2 has a bit more upper treble extension, but not much more, they are both warm bass centric, but definitely not V-shaped. I think the V2 has the tiniest bet more details, but that may just be a product of the treble extension. I don't use the ATE-S much because they take time to get a good fit (I eventually can). I have J-Lab large tips on the ATE-S, which I think are about identical to Spiral Dots. These make the end of the ATE-S nozzle almost flush with the front of the tip. This unusual config seems to maximize the highs for my ears.

Feb 15, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #9,613 of 63,961
EDR2 vs HDS3
 ​

​
Since I'm finally feeling better, and have been all talk about the EDR2 since I got them with very little actual information dropped, I figured now would be a good time to compare them with the HDS3 which I have also put a lot of ear time into recently. So, here we go:

I have enjoyed my time with the HDS3, but I feel that the EDR2 is a step above in every way. The HDS3 has an airy, slightly thin presentation, especially when coming from the HDS1 which was somewhat intimate and occasionally thick sounding. The EDR2 is just as airy sounding, but it has much better separation and clarity. The HDS3 sounds a little claustrophobic when a/bing them since sounds lack their own distinct space. While the HDS3 tones down the midbass bloat the HDS1 could occasionally exhibit, it still sounds a bit midbassy compared to the EDR2. It is also the more v-shaped of the two and vocals, especially female, do not come across as clear as they do on the EDR2. The HDS3 exhibits some hollowness in it's bass slam, and doesn't dig into the same subbass regions of the EDR2. The HDS3 also isn't as natural sounding as the EDR2. For some reason the HDS3 comes across to me as being slightly incoherent, possibly due to an oddly boosted lower midrange, and as a result I still think even the HDS1 is the better iem. 

The EDR2 isn't a v-shaped bass monster. In fact, I would almost go so far as to call it the most balanced KZ to date. It does exhibit a mild boost to the subbass regions and treble, but they are minor. They lean towards being slightly warm sounding. Where the EDR2 impresses me most is in it's clarity and detail, and it's ability to move sound around accurately. These are areas where only the ANV come close, with the EDR2 most clearly besting it in soundstage presentation. 

Also to note, when using the EDR2 or HDS3 for calls (no mic on the EDR2, used just for improved listening), voices comes across miles more clear on the EDR2. They sound very thin and brittle through the HDS3 which I found a little disconcerting. On the plus side, the in-line mic and control setup on the HDS3 is really convenient and works excellently with my HTC One M8. I would love to see KZ carry it over to other models.

In summary, if I had to choose between the two I would take the EDR2 hands down. It costs less and sounds better, though you do end up giving up the in-line mic of the HDS3 which I really like. The HDS3 is a good iem, but I feel it lags behind the best of recent KZs (that I've tried) in sound quality; ie. EDR2, ED9, ED4, HDS1, ED3c "The Acme" (and the ANV, which is an oldie but a goodie).

- B9

Feb 15, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #9,614 of 63,961
B9, it is interesting you hear the HDS3 very differently than I do. If you think it hollow, I'm not sure you'd like the Puro IEM500. But I don't have the other phones you compare against either. However, the EDR2 that I have on the way DOES include a mic, and was under $6 with a mic shipped free from Gearbest.com. Sounds like I will like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back