Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 3, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #4,322 of 63,929
  Just a reminder - it can be from source gear differences too. I also find gold nozzles V-shaped and too bassy for my taste/gear, which results slightly "recessed" mids also. They are good but brass nozzle + foam mod (if needed) is leaps above in overall SQ.

But yeah, it`s all subjective and depends on many things and there never can`t be one consensus about one IEM.
For example, contrary to Twin, I heard no "burn-in" with my ED9. And contrary to @anticute ,I actually find ATE with grill mod littlebit better in soundstage/imaging/presentation than ED9. Yes, ED9 has better microdetails and separation but I often feel like there is something littlebit wrong with soundstage.... hard to explain but sometimes I feel it is littlebit much "pulled back" towards neck. With ATE I feel whole soundstage littlebit more pushed towards front and it feels more natural. Like I told, hard to explain but I hope those who have both understand what I`m talking about. That difference isn`t big actually but for me it is there.
Don`t get me wrong, both are very good and objectively I would still rate ED9 (with brass nozzle) above ATE.

Just my subjective opinion...

This agreed with my guess. For a budgeted eraphones, ATE's soundstage is really great. Comparable to those high ends with large soundstage.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #4,323 of 63,929

smily_headphones1.gif
. So here I am on the KZ impressions thread. Let's recap the further adventures of TWIN, shall we? When we last left our hero (MOI), I had decided that I liked the Gold Nozzles and through rolling a huge number of tips had concluded that BOTH nozzles sounded best to my ears with the Auvio Medium tips on the ED9.

FLASH FORWARD.....

Stardate 22 37.16  We now have 125 hours on the critters and now I have time for my First real critical listen, fire them up and Things have changed in a BIG WAY, probably the most change due to burn-in I have experienced yet. Unfortunately it is NOT for the Good. The Bass has become dominant, Bloated and Slow, reaching into mid Bass and Low Mids and coloring everything. The actual Mids have become so recessed that vocals sound distant. HOWEVER the Treble is precise and Perfect. What? Well maybe I can EQ them. So I put them back to the Burn -in Station and Left for work.

WHILE I'm driving down to Cincinnati, I am pondering the change, how to correct it and disappointed as I had such high hopes. These things are as bad as BEATS or even worse.

THEN IT HIT ME. "Hey Dumbass, You have another set of Nozzles!"

Is it possible?  As soon as I had a chance I slapped those bad-boy Brassies on there with the Auvio tips:

OH MY GOD.
What a phenominal Change.  They are in a word PERFECT. Bass is tight, not overbearing, Mids have movd forward and the Treble is still Perfect. Very articulate. Sound stage is not huge but focused and wide enough. Seriously, These could actually go toe to toe with Senn IE8s. No exaggeration.

What I have learned about the ED9: At first You may enjoy the Party that goes on with the Gold Nozzles, but give them time to settle in and that Party is going to get old.  FAST. They really should give you a warning that says "Use Brass Nozzles after 100 Hours Use".  I can't wait to hear these at 300 Hours.

The KZ ED9 is truly a Giant Killer.

Best $10 bucks I ever spent.....Jeez.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

So how about your Ed9 compared to your Titan 1? :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #4,324 of 63,929
Jun 3, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #4,326 of 63,929

smily_headphones1.gif
Different presentation altogether. Titan has way more detail, openess, width of soundstage and Treble, although the Treble CAN be a bit strident. I think the ED9's Treble is PERFECT. It's the strong point (for me) of the ED9. Plus the cable On the Titan is outstanding. I really Like both of them, but I have a lot more experience with the Titan. Give me some time and I may love the ED9 as much.

I would recommend the Titan to anyone, No questions asked. It's in a class of it's own.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #4,327 of 63,929
hi guys what is the best bass earbud can buy under 20$.i have kz ed2,i am looking for little more bassy one.please give me help.

ED8m hands down bro.... Its a must for bassheads. Combine quality bass with deep, wide soundstage.. ED8 is very good.

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #4,329 of 63,929

smily_headphones1.gif
Different presentation altogether. Titan has way more detail, openess, width of soundstage and Treble, although the Treble CAN be a bit strident. I think the ED9's Treble is PERFECT. It's the strong point (for me) of the ED9. Plus the cable On the Titan is outstanding. I really Like both of them, but I have a lot more experience with the Titan. Give me some time and I may love the ED9 as much.

I would recommend the Titan to anyone, No questions asked. It's in a class of it's own.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

How about their imaging? Their dynamic? Which is more 3D? If laying back, how much?

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,330 of 63,929

Just a reminder - it can be from source gear differences too. I also find gold nozzles V-shaped and too bassy for my taste/gear, which results slightly "recessed" mids also. They are good but brass nozzle + foam mod (if needed) is leaps above in overall SQ.

But yeah, it`s all subjective and depends on many things and there never can`t be one consensus about one IEM.
For example, contrary to Twin, I heard no "burn-in" with my ED9. And contrary to @anticute ,I actually find ATE with grill mod littlebit better in soundstage/imaging/presentation than ED9. Yes, ED9 has better microdetails and separation but I often feel like there is something littlebit wrong with soundstage.... hard to explain but sometimes I feel it is littlebit much "pulled back" towards neck. With ATE I feel whole soundstage littlebit more pushed towards front and it feels more natural. Like I told, hard to explain but I hope those who have both understand what I`m talking about. That difference isn`t big actually but for me it is there.
Don`t get me wrong, both are very good and objectively I would still rate ED9 (with brass nozzle) above ATE.

Just my subjective opinion...

Coil, I think the soundstage is a little Narrow and Focused. My understanding is the ATEs are quite a bit wider before any mods. My ATEs should be here shortly. I'm dying of curiosity. Being a proponent of Burn-in it also means I have to break out another recently unused MP3 Player for this Pair while I finish the ED9s.

When I test My source and Material is always the same. I tend to use Nadia Ali / Trance mixes as there is a Huge amount of frequency variations and her voice is stunning.

I wouldn`t say ATE has wider/larger soundstage, neither ED9 narrow/focused... both have very good large soundstage and width. The whole ATE soundstage just seems to be littlebit pushed towards front (leaving width same) and sounds littlebit more natural compared to ED9. Thus, maybe ATE has littlebit more depth towards front? Not sure yet.

You should try different material also for test songs. It`s never good to stick with only one material and one genre.
Some material with great mastering from Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is very good for testing soundstage and naturality for example. 
Also Omar Rodriguez Lopez/The Mars Volta. I would recommend some EDM too but I think much of it have lot of artificial effects and sounds which affect "result".
But for You, this is one of my EDM soundstage testing songs out of many (I have 16/44 FLAC not Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4wWr8jKrU

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,331 of 63,929

I honestly don't hear much difference, just sometimes it feels that red packs tighter midbass punch. I like Red slightly better but maybe this is because my Blue has not burned in yet... I remember sound of my red getting much better after some burn in period.

Regardless of this, what I said earlier about sound of ED8 is true for both colors. It just doesn't justify why would KZ put different drivers in different colors and doesn't mention it anywhere. I even did ask their customer support and they said both are same.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #4,333 of 63,929
:) Different presentation altogether. Titan has way more detail, openess, width of soundstage and Treble, although the Treble CAN be a bit strident. I think the ED9's Treble is PERFECT. It's the strong point (for me) of the ED9. Plus the cable On the Titan is outstanding. I really Like both of them, but I have a lot more experience with the Titan. Give me some time and I may love the ED9 as much.

:) :) TWIN
I started out listening to the gold filters just like you and switched to the brass filters after a week. They are amazeballs for the price, arguably the best thing under $50

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #4,334 of 63,929
I started out listening to the gold filters just like you and switched to the brass filters after a week. They are amazeballs for the price, arguably the best thing under $50

smily_headphones1.gif
I believe that myself. In their price range they are most certainly in a class by themselves.

I'm still waiting on the ATE's and It isn't CHINA that is holding things up. It's our scccccrewed up postal system. They came into Chicago Hub. From there it is a little more than 200 mile DUE east trip on I94 to Detroit. So what do they do out of Chicago? Send them to Kansas City Hub for delivery to Detroit. Dumb Asses.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
TWIN

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #4,335 of 63,929
ksc75smile.gif
Just Got a Package today. Gentlemen introducing the KZ ATE Stealth Ediion....

Pardon the Pic. Click on it to enlarge.

It sounds Very Good. Slightly Bass-Heavy but that should settle after Burn-in. I think venting it may have boosted the Bass a little from stock.

NEXT: should be the EDSE Ali is a little faster shipping than Ebay sellers.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back