Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 18, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #3,766 of 64,105
KZ ATE is a boss of a IEM. Think ATH-IM50-IM70 good, and with a better and non removable cable with counterweights and no memory wire.

It's a winner. It's going to split votes with the ED9

Wow then that under $10 deal was a bomb, glad to been part of ATE bandwagon : ) 
I never have had any sports earphone before, these will be unique that way.

May 19, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #3,768 of 64,105
KZ ATE is a boss of a IEM. Think ATH-IM50-IM70 good, and with a better and non removable cable with counterweights and no memory wire.

It's a winner. It's going to split votes with the ED9

How is it "boss of IEM" exactly? Please describe more accurately sound signature and bass/mids/highs. Does bass bleed into mids? Mids are neutral or pushed foward? Highs are smooth or sparkly, too harsh?
So far I have seen comments, that it is quite bassy, laid back relaxed sound with good soundstage. I personally hope it isn`t too bassy/bloated. If it is possible, then comparison with EDSE or ED9 would be great. Also would be nice if You point out what source gear You use to do that comparison.

Got my GR today... short story:
1) By SQ they are disappointment (black filters make them too bassy/muddy and red filters with hole make them too thin sounding with no body/punch in sound).
2) By build quality they are very good. I really like the see-through soft cable (better than EDSE) and probably going to use it to mod my ANV. Filters I`m going to try on ED9. Interesting thing is that I don`t find them heavy at all, ANV feels littlebit heavier and EDSE is much heavier imo.

Still waiting for ATE and ED9. Btw, I got new good silicone tips for my small ears/earchannels in red/dark-yellow colour, with large bore, soft silicone. They are basically same as Piston 2.1 smallest tips.

When your ED9's arrive try the brass filters on your GR's. I like that combo with foam tips or silcone

Thanks for information! Certainly will try it.

May 19, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #3,770 of 64,105
I really doubt it. Don`t get so enthusiastic by only few comments with basically no detailed information
rolleyes.gif

Of course it would be great if they reach to 100$ SQ level but no need to hype until many ppl have confirmed them really great and better than ED9 / EDSE / HAVI B3 Pro2 etc. IEM`s.

May 19, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #3,772 of 64,105
The hyping is real, but for this price range i believe they are worth the hype.
Now i am waiting to test them, i am pretty sure they tried to match ATH IM50 sound signature.

May 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3,774 of 64,105
  With just over 10 hours of burn-in, I am unable to differentiate the sound quality between ED9,  ES, and EDSE using same tips (JVC Spiral Dots large) and same source of audio. I am no aural expert but to my ears all these three sounds pretty much same (ES and EDSE are over 6 months old with loads of usage).

Peter123 said ED9 with copper filter will be better than EDSE and with the other filter, it's pretty th same as EDSE

May 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #3,775 of 64,105
Just placed order for the translucent ate from the kz aliexpress official store at $9.87.

May 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM Post #3,776 of 64,105
With just over 10 hours of burn-in, I am unable to differentiate the sound quality between ED9,  ES, and EDSE using same tips (JVC Spiral Dots large) and same source of audio. I am no aural expert but to my ears all these three sounds pretty much same (ES and EDSE are over 6 months old with loads of usage).

I'm kind of surpised that you find the ES and EDSE identical sounding, that's not how I hear them.

I still think that ED9 with gold filters sound very similar to the EDSE and is just ok but with the bronze filters they certainly keep up with most sub $50 and a lot of sub $100 IEM's that I own.

If someone expect these to kill everything under $100 I'd say those people are either very unexperienced or very selective about what they like (this is just how I see it, ymmv). Personally I hate the term "kills everything under $X", especially under $100 since it's so many excellent IEM's in that price bracket but probably none that does everything perfect.

I think I said in another thread that I'd pick the B3's and Titan's over the ED9 but I'd pick the ED9 over the SE215 for example......

Once again ymmv!

May 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,778 of 64,105
Could you give a comparison of ATE and ed9?
KZ ED9 has two filters. One (gold filter) is a warmer sounding V-signature that works well with modern genres of music.

The other (bronze filter) is a more linear, detailed, and balanced tuning that is almost midrange/upper midrange forward. This is currently my favorite filter and sounds great with warmer sources.

The ATE sounds somewhere in between the two tunings of the ed9.

May 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #3,779 of 64,105
@peter123 - From the beginning I had a liking for ES over EDSE. Contrary to many other headfiers' experience, i felt my ES produced better bass response with less harsh trebles than EDSE did. I just could not tolerate the harshness of treble in EDSE. Now with prolonged use and tip rolling has made both these earphones sounding virtually similar to my ears :)

May 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #3,780 of 64,105
KZ ED9 has two filters. One (gold filter) is a warmer sounding V-signature that works well with modern genres of music.

The other (bronze filter) is a more linear, detailed, and balanced tuning that is almost midrange/upper midrange forward. This is currently my favorite filter and sounds great with warmer sources.

The ATE sounds somewhere in between the two tunings of the ed9.

How about separation, soundstage, wideth, deapth, and spacial presentation? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back