Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,687 of 64,121
Talking about size... I grinded down back end of my r35 today

VS.

Now they are almost same size as Piston v2.1 and look cooler than stock also imo 
biggrin.gif

I call it "SG-mod" ...Sticker removal + Grinding.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #2,688 of 64,121
  I wish they would make the KZs smaller, they stick out of the ear too much!

Not all are big. The Micro Ring and R1 are small. On the other hand the newest - ED8 is huge. And the R3 (bigger than the Piston) mentioned a few posts back is one of the older KZ's - maybe from late 2013?

Feb 13, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #2,689 of 64,121
Ok, after some ~24h playtime I`ve managed to get out differences between Piston v2.1 and KZ-R35

Piston v2.1 has:

Slightly more depth/further/airier soundstage
Male vocals have slightly more body and mids
Slightly more bass quantity and tightness/accuracy 
Slightly smoother highs

...but differences are pretty small and with typical smartphone as source probably unnoticeable.

By price/SQ ratio (R35 is about 1/3 price of Pistons) - KZ-R35 better.
By SQ - Piston v2.1 better.
By price/SQ/accessories/quality - Piston v2.1 wins.

Gear used to compare: iBasso DX50 @ mid gain, SU 1.3.3 @ Flac/iir off/cpu default + upgraded HO/LO capacitors. 16/44 Flac files.

Hope it helps someone :wink:

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #2,691 of 64,121
I think in case of KZ/GK products, problem isn`t in fake products (C´mon, who bothers to do fake IEM from ~5$ IEM? It would be pointless). Problem is rather QC and product inconsistency.

You can buy from here and pretty certain it is legit:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/kz-tuner-black-mental-Acoustical-headphones-headset-HiFi-Headphones-3-5mm-standard-interface-music-earphone/1380688_32273100028.html

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,693 of 64,121
EDSE has more neutral sound, ittlebit more air/openness and detail ...that`s from the memory, don`t have EDSE anymore to do direct comparing.
Like the Pistons, R35 has littlebit warmer sound signature and more bass quantity than EDSE. I personally consider R35 more musical and enjoyable to listen for longer sessions.
EDSE can be somewhat "boring" and littlebit too neutral. But this is only my subjective opinion.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #2,694 of 64,121
  EDSE has more neutral sound, ittlebit more air/openness and detail ...that`s from the memory, don`t have EDSE anymore to do direct comparing.
Like the Pistons, R35 has littlebit warmer sound signature and more bass quantity than EDSE. I personally consider R35 more musical and enjoyable to listen for longer sessions.
EDSE can be somewhat "boring" and littlebit too neutral. But this is only my subjective opinion.

Some of the best IEM's are boring, since they reproduce the sound faithfully. I'll take "boring" over "fun" most of the time.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,695 of 64,121
Also one point should be noted, which I found was is... that EDSE needs Amping. Not in case of some DAPs which have strong output though.
I had gifted an EDSE to my friend and he liked the sound but didn't find it special. Yesterday I let him use my amp and he was blown away! There was a lot of difference between AMPed and unamped sound of EDSE.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #2,696 of 64,121

Some of the best IEM's are boring, since they reproduce the sound faithfully. I'll take "boring" over "fun" most of the time.

Hmmm... well, I didn`t mean that R35 are so to say "fun" sounding. They just give more natural presentation and overall more musical enjoyable sound.
There are different sound signatures for different tastes, that doesn`t mean that best IEMs are certainly "boring" sounding and they still reproduce sound faithfully (whatever You meant by it). For example I had HAVI B3 Pro1 and I liked it a lot (especially soundstage and details)... but... it felt like someone had cut bass player instrument cable, bass just wasn`t enough in quantity. EDSE is in grey area for me regarding bass, not too much, not too less but I still feel it could have fraction more bass section. But this is just my taste. Btw, I`m by no means basshead, I hate bassy cans. My sound signature preference is neutral but slightly warm tilted, littlebit added bass and smoothed highs (my ears are very sensitive to highs).
For me R35 produces sound same "faithfully" as EDSE, just littlebit different and more suitable for my taste/hearing.
And sorry if it hurts somebody but KZ IEM`s are not among "some of the best" imo, at least those I have heard, EDSE among them. Yes they are awesome bang-for-a-buck but that`s all.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,697 of 64,121

...And sorry if it hurts somebody but KZ IEM`s are not among "some of the best" imo, at least those I have heard, EDSE among them. Yes they are awesome bang-for-a-buck but that`s all.

I agree with you on that! My T1-E with proper tip, for example, are better than any KZ I've heard.  

Feb 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #2,698 of 64,121
Hard to put a single opinion on each IEM, what are you listening to? 320?...256mp3, Flac and also what is powering it? Phones tend to fall a little short I feel if you are using IEMs...treble on an MP3 can be felt more while a Flac seems warmer. its all a mix and match as some will sound the best for you with your set up but rubbish for another. If you listen to mp3 with your KZ maybe dig out your old CD player and try with that or play a flac or mp3 through the pc it is good to get an all round opinion for yourself :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #2,699 of 64,121
Someone was wondering where to buy the ear guides from. I just came across some neat looking ear guides/hooks for cheap here ($5 for 2 pairs, free shipping): 

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Diy-tools-welding-jig-speaker-headphone-plug-unit-retaining-clip-can-clip-8MM-9MM-10MM15MM/323026_2035855748.html

Pretty useful if your cable carries noise, or if you just need to wear any earphone over the ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back