Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 20, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #2,416 of 64,160

If you're spending $7 on a KZ IEM does it make sense to use expensive foam tips? Even if you can afford it, there are better (and more fun) alternatives. See this old thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/383917/how-to-best-custom-tips-for-iems-ever-imho-with-pics/195#post_11075327

I used a silicon tip from a T1 - narrow bore and converted it into something similar to a Sony foam $$$ hybrid tip! The foam is INSIDE of the silicon. This really makes my KZ's shine - EDSE (and ES which I nearly gave up on). I'm also using the cheap Chinese red foam tips from Ebay, but the DIY foam-inside--silicon provides a much better seal.

I used Hearos Ear Plugs - Xtreme Protection Series - 14 plugs for $4 or less! That's about 25 cents a plug. Other high quality foam earplugs will work fine too. 

Another option - foam only no silicon. I use the leftover base - cylinder shaped piece of the Hearos. Make a hole in the center, and slip the "doughnut" on the IEM nozzle. Using this method with the EDSE, sound isolation is fair, but SQ is excellent. The foam suspends the IEM in the ear canal, and stays on the nozzle without falling off. It is necessary to compress and hold the foam. There's little between the IEM and your ear. 

If you give it a try - please report back - good or bad. Use whatever foam earplug you have lying around first. 

@Ira Delphic Thanks. I'm also a fan of the DIY.
What kind of hole will bring more low frequency?? Open more or less open?

Cheapest option for my country.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-20pcs-Foam-Soft-Ear-Plugs-Noise-Reduction-Earplugs-ear-plugs-for-noise-ear-protection-earplug/2046082932.html

Wide bore - attenuates higher frequencies, narrow - more bass/L shaped. The narrow - (foam only) "doughnut"  option I mention is about as wide bore as you can get. 

BTW - I have a problem with un-modded silicon tips staying in my ear canal. So for this reason need the foam to act as a spring to keep the IEM from getting loose. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #2,419 of 64,160
  I am really tempted by the DT3 as they look really sweet but are they worse than what I already have?

ED3 is a mixed bag. Trebleheads seem to like it.

Oh btw since you have EDSE and DT3, I wanted to ask how it differs from EDSE? I have EDSE and since KZ's sale is going on i was thinking of getting DT3.

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #2,421 of 64,160
  Ira already pointed out my mistake...doh!! I meant ED3...I have updated my post with the correct model.....whoops

And I updated mine as well xD

Jan 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,423 of 64,160
  ED3 is a mixed bag. Trebleheads seem to like it.

Oh btw since you have EDSE and DT3, I wanted to ask how it differs from EDSE? I have EDSE and since KZ's sale is going on i was thinking of getting DT3.

I love the punch the DT3 has, it is a keeper if you like a good thump on the bass and they dont weigh a ton like my ED5 or Platinum Editions or whatever they are. Dont get me wrong the DT5? sounds great but the DT3 is lighter and punches more also giving a fair top end while the DT5? or EDPLE can get a bit hard on your ears with treble after a while. I would go DT3 myself. 

Jan 20, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #2,425 of 64,160
  if you wanted to buy first time, which one of them would you pick? EDSE or ED8? :)

There's a ton of feedback on the EDSE and little on the ED8 since it's new. You may want to hedge your bets and order both (total of US$14 now?) or wait another week for a review.

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #2,426 of 64,160
  Get new ANV? Too cheap now lol

I totally could, but all that history would be lost forever!

Hong long did it lasted?

Not very long, lol. Just a few months. Surprised given the beefyness of the cable. I'll find out whats up!

Do you have a good camera? Please tear down the ANV! Many of us would love to see all the bits inside - especially the dynamic driver.

Already on it! My camera isn't great (just the 8MP in my Nexus S), but it should do the trick. 

You called me...what...did it just died naturally or something happened prior to it's demise...so sorry to hear that...It's on sale now...me think it's 7$ now...hope this will cheer you up

You were one of the few that actually liked the ANV. It was a natural death....just a slow quieting of the left driver, then nothing.............she's hot. Thanks :3

I'm going to try attaching a new cable to see if its the driver or the cable.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #2,427 of 64,160
You were one of the few that actually liked the ANV. It was a natural death....just a slow quieting of the left driver, then nothing.............she's hot. Thanks :3

There's no such thing as a "natural" death on headphones, a headphone driver can work for years without suffering the minimal change or problem unless it's defective, probably what's ****ed it's the plug jack, in that case the earphones are perfectly well and you just have to change the plug.

Jan 20, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2,429 of 64,160
@Ira Delphic, You only have giant killers 
basshead.gif
 IEM: GR07 CE/TTPOD T1-E/SoundSOUL S-018/KZ EDSE/KZ DT3/KZ ES/KZ ED8/KZ R1 

Jan 20, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #2,430 of 64,160

I totally could, but all that history would be lost forever!

Not very long, lol. Just a few months. Surprised given the beefyness of the cable. I'll find out whats up!

Already on it! My camera isn't great (just the 8MP in my Nexus S), but it should do the trick. 

No offense, but that might be the goofiest thing I've ever heard. For the cost of a replacement cable, and time it would take to TRY to repair it, you could probably purchase two more pairs of these. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back