Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 3, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #12,586 of 63,936

Dulcimer balanced?

I've not heard many earphones with the same amount of bass as the Dulcimer/Banjos. They're like having a subwoofer on each side of your head. Don't get me wrong they do all the other bits well but they have massive bass as well.

Maybe my ATE or Dulcimer are 'off' or my hearing sucks more than I thought but that is the impression I definitely got. Mind you, it was a short listen but the ATE sounded darker, warmer and more 'colored' and as a result, the bass felt more omnipresent (maybe not bass but lower frequencies ? not sub bass ) and masked the highs slightly. 

Either way, I still think they both are ridiculously nice for the price tag they command.

edit: one description that comes to mind is that the ATEs remind me to some extent of that old amp my father used to have with the analogue loudness switch on it. Flicking it on made the sound heavier and muffled. The ATE don't sound 'bad' like that but do have a bit of that loudness taste that I don't hear in the Tennmak

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #12,587 of 63,936
  Maybe my ATE or Dulcimer are 'off' or my hearing sucks more than I thought but that is the impression I definitely got. Mind you, it was a short listen but the ATE sounded darker, warmer and more 'colored' and as a result, the bass felt more omnipresent (maybe not bass but lower frequencies ? not sub bass ) and masked the highs slightly. 

Either way, I still think they both are ridiculously nice for the price tag they command.

edit: one description that comes to mind is that the ATEs remind me to some extent of that old amp my father used to have with the analogue loudness switch on it. Flicking it on made the sound heavier and muffled. The ATE don't sound 'bad' like that but do have a bit of that loudness taste that I don't hear in the Tennmak

I like the Dulcimer/Banjo and at that price they're a steal. Maybe you need a better seal in the ears, I'm using foams.

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #12,589 of 63,936
Does the diameter of the nozzle of ZST and ZS3 the same? I owned the ZS3 and is thinking of buying the ZST also, much appreciated

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #12,592 of 63,936

No final impression yet, and honestly it is due to me having some difficulty finding the right tips with the ZS3. So from looking at my ZS3, it doesn't seem to have a vent hole; therefore when I push them into my ears it feels like I'm pressurizing my ear. I am still unsure if it's the shape of my ear canals or the shape and design of the ZS3 and the length and width of the stem, but it's really weird. And since I don't want to cause any damage, I don't keep them on long enough to even listen through a song and immediately remove them.

Having the same issue, can you post a picture of the vent holes? I keep having that vacuum thing on my right ear as well

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #12,593 of 63,936
Oh my... KZ having QC issues again...

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #12,596 of 63,936
  Is the KZ ATE ATR wire up fitment only? Or can I wear them with wires down as well?
I hate cables around my ears since I also wear glasses :)

They can be worn cable down but it's pretty awkward and not ideal. I too wear glasses and don't find cable up use to be an issue with them. Primary reason being a lack of memory wire. The cable is also somewhat thin above the y-split so it really doesn't interfere much.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #12,597 of 63,936

They can be worn cable down but it's pretty awkward and not ideal. I too wear glasses and don't find cable up use to be an issue with them. Primary reason being a lack of memory wire. The cable is also somewhat thin above the y-split so it really doesn't interfere much.

Thanks! In that case, is ED9 a good replacement for ATE ATR?
I really don't like over the ear cables =(

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #12,599 of 63,936
It probably a little hit or miss getting a good fit, depending on how flexible the material the cables ( male ) pins are mounted. I imagine the quality of the fitting they use make a difference as well with mmcx I have some very snug some not, these may end up being the same. I ordered an upgrade cable for the Zst from **** known as E E or easy earphones ( Aliexpress) should be here in a week. It will be interesting to see how they fit as well as any change in sound.

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #12,600 of 63,936
From what you're describing it definitely sounds like it.

Lacking in treble and detail is not the way i would describe the xe800 at all, in fact i would say they are some of their main strengths, mids aside.

They've also got a decent soundstage too and IMO the instrument placement is excellent, particularly on classical music.

The bass definitely opens up with burn in and the treble becomes less harsh as I've A/B'd a well used pair with my new ones and the difference is very noticeable.

I love the xe800s and prefer them to my 4in1s although i rate them highly too.

Do they return on grounds that 'these are fake'. That's hard to prove too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back