Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 3, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #12,572 of 63,916
I said 'modded' Piston 2.1. I hated the stock myself hence modded it. XE800 is not GR07 has pitted by others, that was my point. It has good bass. I took it out again to give you a live impression. Listening to some electronic I get good mid bass as well sub-bass extension but then I have modded my pistons in a very satisfying bass quality. But Pistons which were V-shaped earlier are now very dark sounding now delight for EDM. In contrast, XE800 are somewhat balanced. My initial grudge(and still lingering) might be these where instantly nomenclated as re-branded GR07. Comfort is great on these. But I feel treble and details lacking that's not what impression posted by others. Depth is not great either. 

P.S> Listening via Centrance Slim

Edit: To add the instrument placement seems bit odd to me. I have burned these 10 hours and atleast the bass has settles down a little. Maybe it requires more burnin time.

I have the XE800 as well but my pair sounds too sibilant. I can tolerate sibilance as I also own ATH-MSR7 and they can get sibilant on some songs especially with a female vocals. Maybe I didn't burn the XE800 enough or maybe it's my source that's causing it or a QC issue? I tend to not EQ anything and leave things as is. Hmm maybe I should revisit that earphone. Any who I just got to work, so I'll spending the day having a listen to the zs3 :)

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #12,573 of 63,916
I have the XE800 as well but my pair sounds too sibilant. I can tolerate sibilance as I also own ATH-MSR7 and they can get sibilant on some songs especially with a female vocals. Maybe I didn't burn the XE800 enough or maybe it's my source that's causing it or a QC issue? I tend to not EQ anything and leave things as is. Hmm maybe I should revisit that earphone. Any who I just got to work, so I'll spending the day having a listen to the zs3
smily_headphones1.gif

It's China after all, chances are I might have got fake.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #12,579 of 63,916

No final impression yet, and honestly it is due to me having some difficulty finding the right tips with the ZS3. So from looking at my ZS3, it doesn't seem to have a vent hole; therefore when I push them into my ears it feels like I'm pressurizing my ear. I am still unsure if it's the shape of my ear canals or the shape and design of the ZS3 and the length and width of the stem, but it's really weird. And since I don't want to cause any damage, I don't keep them on long enough to even listen through a song and immediately remove them.

Fortunately, just today I've found a small work around after some experimenting. I'm now using a rubber o-ring before I put the tips in so it pushes the tips out slightly further away from the body of the earphone and further from the tip of the stem. This reduced the pressurized feeling I'm getting but not completely. I'll have a good listen tomorrow when I'm at work.

On another note, the ATR is simply amazing and fun to listen to. No other words are really needed, but if I had to choose between the ATR and the 4in1 when I have to walk outside and wear earphones all day long, I'd easily choose the ATR. The 4in1 sure has a better sound quality but the ATR doesn't fall that far behind. And considering the ATR's only have 1 driver each side, not fatiguing, lighter (you hardly feel the weight), and cost $5 or less, it's just wow...

If you compared the more expensive ZST to the ATR, even though from the price stand point the ZST should be the winner; but it's actually the ATR's win. The ATR is clearer, has better details, it isn't muddy, the bass isn't overly emphasized but it is there (a great sub bass does come out with the right tips), the sound stage is decent and it isn't narrow like the ZST, and it has good imaging. If I had to compare what ATR's sound quality reminds me of, or what it's really close to then it would be the Vivo XE800. The difference being that the XE800 is brighter and more on the cooler side, while the ATR is leaning more to the warmer side. It isn't a perfect comparison but it is close, for $5 it really is a bargain. I've already ordered more to give away as gifts and stocking stuffers for Christmas.

Really good to know!.....I'll be ordering a an ATR by next week.
etysmile.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #12,580 of 63,916
It's China after all, chances are I might have got fake.

From what you're describing it definitely sounds like it.

Lacking in treble and detail is not the way i would describe the xe800 at all, in fact i would say they are some of their main strengths, mids aside.

They've also got a decent soundstage too and IMO the instrument placement is excellent, particularly on classical music.

The bass definitely opens up with burn in and the treble becomes less harsh as I've A/B'd a well used pair with my new ones and the difference is very noticeable.

I love the xe800s and prefer them to my 4in1s although i rate them highly too.

Oct 3, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #12,581 of 63,916
Pretty close Kz ises .75 as opposed to .78 with only .03 of a diffrence others have had luck using the .78's? The standard Zst cable has a bend that angles angles up and over the ear.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #12,583 of 63,916
Thanks Ruben, elderly parents with health issues, unfortunately comes to us all.
Grabed the Zst ( first of the new gens ) about a week ago. Not as impressive as it should or could be. Thought I'd try some upgrade cables to see of they'll make a difference.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #12,584 of 63,916
Just received my Tennmak Dulcimer from GB at their ridiculous low price. Got screwed on the duty fees thanks to DHL but that's my own mistake/childish can't wait problem :wink:

I have to say, while their build quality and comfort is definitely not as nice as the ATE or ZS3 they have a much more balanced, neutral, natural sound signature - much much closer to my RHA 750. To me that equals better SQ. Soundstage might not be as spatially wide as the ATE but probably more 'honest' if that makes any sense..

At a similar price, I'd have a very hard time recommending the KZ over the Tennmak. Quite an interesting world out there in terms of lesser known chinese brand, can't wait to hear what they've got coming next!

Oct 3, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #12,585 of 63,916
  Just received my Tennmak Dulcimer from GB at their ridiculous low price. Got screwed on the duty fees thanks to DHL but that's my own mistake/childish can't wait problem :wink:

I have to say, while their build quality and comfort is definitely not as nice as the ATE or ZS3 they have a much more balanced, neutral, natural sound signature - much much closer to my RHA 750. To me that equals better SQ. Soundstage might not be as spatially wide as the ATE but probably more 'honest' if that makes any sense..

At a similar price, I'd have a very hard time recommending the KZ over the Tennmak. Quite an interesting world out there in terms of lesser known chinese brand, can't wait to hear what they've got coming next!

Dulcimer balanced?

I've not heard many earphones with the same amount of bass as the Dulcimer/Banjos. They're like having a subwoofer on each side of your head. Don't get me wrong they do all the other bits well but they have massive bass as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back