Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 25, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #11,071 of 63,836

I think that ear anatomy is very important when it comes to isolation with IEM's that are not straight barrel design. I also find the ATE (and the IM70 that uses the same shell design) to isolate pretty poorly and definitely much worse than the SE215 for me. Ymmw would certainly be in place here
wink.gif

+1 ....true! I do have a hard time choosing the right tips for that perfect isolation with my ATE.

Etymotic style tips work perfectly for me in combination with ATE. Then again I might have weird ear anatomy. 
smile.gif
 Also use them on my ED9's.

May 25, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #11,073 of 63,836
Received some kz earphones today! Ed3 youth, Hds1, and zs2.

I have a problem with the hds1. They were easy to insert and went all the way in but when I was done, pulling them out was a nightmare. I had to yank them out from the part where wire meets the housing. Not a very safe way to do so. The right tip got stuck in my ear and had to use tweezers. I have some experience with eartips getting stuck in my ear with the vsonic vc02, but still.....And the sound is very fit dependent.....I don't think I can ever use this earphone. Was expecting a lot, just not this. :')

Hds3 have a small depression at the end of the housing which allows for easy removal of the earphones. Guess they did get some feedback on this problem.

Will have to roll tips on the zs2 and ed3y. And get used to the horrible memory wire. And yes, zs2 doesn't seem to the monster bass of that owners of zs2 mentioned ootb. Is this really just a color update, or will it change with tips and burn in?

May 25, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #11,075 of 63,836
  I guess each has his or her own favorites. I would say ED9 since it also gives you the option to play with filters and foams. 

Hi, I'm Podster and I approve this message
biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Pash, try using a larger tip on the HDS1 before you give up on them and also when removing them open and close your mouth so your jaw loosens your ear canal
wink_face.gif
As far as the bass on the ZS2, it was tamed down from the ZS1 which truly is the bass monster of the line IMHO, I think with the right tips and seal all these will sound pretty good especially when you consider their price
bigsmile_face.gif

May 25, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #11,077 of 63,836

biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

Pash, try using a larger tip on the HDS1 before you give up on them and also when removing them open and close your mouth so your jaw loosens your ear canal
wink_face.gif
As far as the bass on the ZS2, it was tamed down from the ZS1 which truly is the bass monster of the line IMHO, I think with the right tips and seal all these will sound pretty good especially when you consider their price
bigsmile_face.gif

@pashhtk27

Using a larger tip is a great idea.

Only the original ZS1 is the beautiful bass monster. If they don't have brass rings in the nozzle and a crossover secured to the rear of the tweeter they're not the "real" deal.

May 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #11,078 of 63,836

biggrin.gif
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif

wink_face.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Hi Podster, nice to meet you (I haven't been around long). 
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #11,079 of 63,836
Hi Podster, nice to meet you (I haven't been around long). :beerchug:

No biggie, at some point we were all just around for a short time here:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: you made some great KZ picks just need to tweak a little:smiley:

May 26, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #11,080 of 63,836
Just for information... those who want to get best out of their EDR2 - remove FOAM PIECES from inside nozzles and use very wide bore Philips UE silicone tips. These are correct Philips UE tips: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381519532186?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
There are many AE and eBay sellers listing Philips UE tips but with much smaller bore size which look almost like KZ stock tips with red bore while listing with pictures taken from original UE tips.
I have fallen for that "scam" already 2 times. 
Original Philips UE tips are with very soft and thin silicone "skirt" while having medium strength tube - giving great seal and detail pass-through result. Highly recommended tips.
Second choice would be CX300 blue replacement tips: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-pcs-3-pairs-Replacement-Triple-Flange-Earbuds-tips-Set-for-CX300-In-Ear-Earphones-S/32585964409.html?spm=2114.13010308.0.106.UaDkwG

This is probably best You can get out of EDR2. They still lack overall resolution, details and separation/layering (mainly in middle of soundstage (depth) ) compared to ED9, ED10, ATE (2nd gen) but are nevertheless very good sounding and cause 0 fatigue with long listening sessions.

Gearbest has them now ONLY FOR 4.85 $ !!! That`s absurdly crazy value !!! http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_316680.html

May 26, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #11,081 of 63,836
I received Joyroom E107 yesterday, and that made me realize that micro drivers aren't for me. Tips got stuck again, this time in both ears. But the package and built of the earphones make for a great gift. xD
I did try rolling some tips with the hds1 but they sound quite boomy. And the vocals and most music feels panned towards the right with a tiny soundstage that makes me feel they are mono. I swapped left with right and got the same results so don't think there is any channel imbalance. I tried varying the insertion and that changed the sound but not the right panned music and soundstage. So I believe that maybe the shape of my canals make them so. Had the tweezers in my hands for the entire duration. My ears are really tight, I can actually use hds1 without any tips!

Zs2 have no brass ring in nozzle but there seem to be some kind of crossover. I don't regret the purchase since they sound quite good and look absolutely marvelous :D
And I'm no basshead. Just wanted a bassy earphone in my collection. :wink:

Some pics of Zs2: (From cellphone, forgive the low quality)

May 27, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #11,082 of 63,836
I received Joyroom E107 yesterday, and that made me realize that micro drivers aren't for me. Tips got stuck again, this time in both ears. But the package and built of the earphones make for a great gift. xD

I did try rolling some tips with the hds1 but they sound quite boomy. And the vocals and most music feels panned towards the right with a tiny soundstage that makes me feel they are mono. I swapped left with right and got the same results so don't think there is any channel imbalance. I tried varying the insertion and that changed the sound but not the right panned music and soundstage. So I believe that maybe the shape of my canals make them so. Had the tweezers in my hands for the entire duration. My ears are really tight, I can actually use hds1 without any tips!

Zs2 have no brass ring in nozzle but there seem to be some kind of crossover. I don't regret the purchase since they sound quite good and look absolutely marvelous :D

Nice Pash, love the blue:smile:

May 27, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #11,083 of 63,836

Sounds like you're doing what I USED to do with my iems: shoving smaller tips right into your ear canal. I've since learned to use big tips that comfortably seal the outer edge of my ear canal, like putting a finger in my ear and not trying to implant them directly into my brain. Give it a try.

May 27, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #11,084 of 63,836
I`m also using smallest tips all the time. My ears, ear-canals just are small. Only few IEM`s with shorter nozzle like ANV needs to be used with medium tips. 
This is totally personal anatomic thing. No big tips work for me, they won`t even "go" anywhere to get seal. Tips getting stuck can be result of many things - bad tip tube-lip edge, wrong angle while inserting/removing. Best results I`ve found are with tips that have "cone-shaped" skirt which follows ear-canal shape much easily and longer than usual "round-shaped" tips.
Some great examples are Huast H10 and Huawei Honor tips. But lot also depends of tip silicone material softness too - are they going to "cramp" or not with insertion and do they hold the shape while warmed up. Also tip edge is important - how soft it is and how it contracts(or not) which may cause discomfort and "pressure" to tip pushing it outside of ear. 
Btw, I have ~30 different silicone tips in my collection, so, I have quite a lot experience with tip-rolling 
wink.gif
 Still about 7 tips that I want to add to collection (old and new spinfits, Auvios, Olives and some others). Will take pics (top, down & side) and add all the buying links when I finish this collection.

May 27, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #11,085 of 63,836
@Coil My favorite tips too are 'cone-shared'. Buy they have a slightly larger core so they slip on earphones with narrow nozzle like hds1/hds3/joyroom. Most of the tips I have also slip which is the reason they get stuck, I realized now. Put tighter tips from vsonic vc02 on both earphones. Now they don't get stuck.
I have some triple flanges ordered from aliexpress coming soon. Let's see how it goes.

@Crabdog Yes,I shove them all the way in. But with larger tips, they are uncomfortable and slip out of my ears, like Coil says. I'll try medium sized tips and see if I can seal well, not shoving them too inside. :)

Thank you everyone for your experiences. Good to know I'm not the only one :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back