Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 23, 2016 at 4:29 AM Post #11,060 of 63,980
ATE is rather nAtural in stock configuration not neutral. Most nEutral - ANV (almost dead-flat but lacking littlebit in sub-bass extension and presence) and EDR2 (without foam pieces in nozzle, has littlebit warm-tilt sound), JMHSO.

May 23, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #11,061 of 63,980
I found the ATE to have far more bass than neutral, even more than what I think is natural. Anyway they have brilliant isolation and are very good looking (especially considering their low price) - good enough for me to take some photos 
cool.gif

KZ-ATE-1.jpg

KZ-ATE-Tip.jpg

KZ-ATE-2.jpg

Anschluss.jpg

May 23, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #11,065 of 63,980
  I found the ATE to have far more bass than neutral, even more than what I think is natural. Anyway they have brilliant isolation...

Firstly, I wouldn`t say they have brilliant isolation - over average but not excellent (even with perfect fit). And secondly, some questions about Your ATE:
1) Does Your ATE have breathing holes in plastic body near the lower end of nozzle?
    If Your unit doesn`t have them, then it is 3rd edition ATE (non-S) and with closed port holes they are bassier than 2nd edition.
2) Is Your judgement based on using them with foam tips?
    Foam tips make them "muffled" and bassy sounding. Try large bore silicone tips that go on level with nozzle edge.

ATE is kind of mixed bag - it has at least 4 iterations and some even say that same looking ones sound littlebit different... so... hard to judge "animal" this ATE is.
I got lucky and got early 2nd generation translucent black ATE with port holes - sounds very natural and in modified configuration I consider it even towards neutral-sounding not only natural. 

...but I'd choose the ED9 over the ATE for neutrality.

Agree, with brass nozzles and little foam mod - they are pretty neutral sounding. Actually, if we are talking only about neutrality of sound, then I would put ED9 (brass nozzles with little foam mod) even behind ANV and front of EDR2 (due to being littlebit warmish). Also, my ED10 is pretty neutral sounding but I can`t say it out loud because many consider them bass-boosted (which my unit certainly is NOT) and there can be production differences.

May 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #11,066 of 63,980
I own two of the silver launch ATEs and I would describe them as natural sounding with a boost to the mids and rolled off bass and treble. They just barely seem to dip their toes into subbass regions. I find the ATE to be very relaxing sounding. Big soundstage, okay detail and clarity, good separation, quick bass, overall just a solid performer. Definitely one of my favs.

May 23, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #11,067 of 63,980
Firstly, I wouldn`t say they have brilliant isolation - over average but not excellent (even with perfect fit). And secondly, some questions about Your ATE:
1) Does Your ATE have breathing holes in plastic body near the lower end of nozzle?
    If Your unit doesn`t have them, then it is 3rd edition ATE (non-S) and with closed port holes they are bassier than 2nd edition.
2) Is Your judgement based on using them with foam tips?
    Foam tips make them "muffled" and bassy sounding. Try large bore silicone tips that go on level with nozzle edge.

ATE is kind of mixed bag - it has at least 4 iterations and some even say that same looking ones sound littlebit different... so... hard to judge "animal" this ATE is.
I got lucky and got early 2nd generation translucent black ATE with port holes - sounds very natural and in modified configuration I consider it even towards neutral-sounding not only natural. 

I compared the isolation to the Shure SE215 and the StageDiver 2 and find the KZ to be more or less on par with the Shure and slighly weaker than the StageDiver, which I think is brillant.

1) It doesn't have any breathing holes. So this explaines why I hear so much bass! I didn't knew that there are different versions.

2) I use the silicon tips. I don't like foams at all and never tried them with the KZ.

May 24, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #11,068 of 63,980
I compared the isolation to the Shure SE215 and the StageDiver 2 and find the KZ to be more or less on par with the Shure and slighly weaker than the StageDiver, which I think is brillant.

1) It doesn't have any breathing holes. So this explaines why I hear so much bass! I didn't knew that there are different versions.

2) I use the silicon tips. I don't like foams at all and never tried them with the KZ.

I think that ear anatomy is very important when it comes to isolation with IEM's that are not straight barrel design. I also find the ATE (and the IM70 that uses the same shell design) to isolate pretty poorly and definitely much worse than the SE215 for me. Ymmw would certainly be in place here :wink:

May 24, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #11,069 of 63,980
I think that ear anatomy is very important when it comes to isolation with IEM's that are not straight barrel design. I also find the ATE (and the IM70 that uses the same shell design) to isolate pretty poorly and definitely much worse than the SE215 for me. Ymmw would certainly be in place here
wink.gif

Exactly, I had this fitment problem with the first Easy UE's but not with my HCK UE! They do have a very diffent shell shape and if they don't fit your anatomy may as well just let that one go
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

May 25, 2016 at 5:58 AM Post #11,070 of 63,980
I think that ear anatomy is very important when it comes to isolation with IEM's that are not straight barrel design. I also find the ATE (and the IM70 that uses the same shell design) to isolate pretty poorly and definitely much worse than the SE215 for me. Ymmw would certainly be in place here
wink.gif

+1 ....true! I do have a hard time choosing the right tips for that perfect isolation with my ATE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back