Burn-in is a myth...

Right, just like the weight many of us gather over time
rolleyes.gif
Nothing audio changes over time
wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #10,878 of 63,897
  Burn-in is a myth...

Right like the idea that you need to change your oil or have your teeth cleaned.

I agree that there is plenty of snake oil being sold in the audio world, but I see no reason to think that burn-in regarding moving components is amongst those.   Anything with moving parts is subject to wear and friction and it is only reasonable to think that any tiny burrs or high spots on mating surfaces would be smoothed out over time.   We see the same principles in action in all kinds of other fields and I see no reason to believe the laws of physics don't apply just because this is an audio component and not some other form of electric motor.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #10,879 of 63,897
Right like the idea that you need to change your oil or have your teeth cleaned.

I agree that there is plenty of snake oil being sold in the audio world, but I see no reason to think that burn-in regarding moving components is amongst those.   Anything with moving parts is subject to wear and friction and it is only reasonable to think that any tiny burrs or high spots on mating surfaces would be smoothed out over time.   We see the same principles in action in all kinds of other fields and I see no reason to believe the laws of physics don't apply just because this is an audio component and not some other form of electric motor.

Innerfidelity proved burn in doesn't exist, but I guess his measurements don't mean much here :) James is too one who seems to know where he's talking about. Also always burn in seems to make the sound better instead of worse... That's suspicious

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #10,880 of 63,897
KZ Z1 came in today. Ootb and after a super-quick comparo with the ED4.....they sound the same. Maybe the Z1 has a bit less sub-bass, but that could always be attributed to burn-in of the brain, or fairy dust, or maybe even the physical kind. We shall never know! Things may change in time, so take these current comments with a salty grain for now. If anything changes, a post will magically appear! Spooooooky!! 

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #10,881 of 63,897
Innerfidelity proved burn in doesn't exist, but I guess his measurements don't mean much here
smily_headphones1.gif
James is too one who seems to know where he's talking about. Also always burn in seems to make the sound better instead of worse... That's suspicious

I'm not saying better or worse but all moving parts change with wear. No bragg's, just facts, said in the voice of Walter Brennan
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #10,882 of 63,897
I haven't ruled out the possibility of burn-in being legit but I'm fairly certain most of my stuff sounds pretty much like it did ootb. If it makes such a difference I think producers by now would be using it as a marketing tool eg: "200 hour factory burn-in!!" I prefer to do the burning on my ears though. I'm choosing to be like an agnostic here 
popcorn.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #10,883 of 63,897
I think burn in can have an impact IF there is a high spot or burr that is buffed by movement.  I also think in a lot of cases, no such burr exists so, no such effect is seen.   Arguably things like glue could be work softened or work hardened depending on the physical properties of the material but again, this is looking at it as purely a mechanical and electrical engineering problem and if the components are selected to avoid those stresses then no changes would be expected.  

I do think an awful lot of what we see as burn in effect is more the listener adjusting to the device rather than the device itself adjusting but that isnt to say that exceptions dont or cant exist as some have suggested.

Apr 26, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #10,884 of 63,897
Factory burn-in is already readily available on most if not all higher end cables and some speaker manufactures run speakers for x amount of hours prior to shipping. Either for testing or a little factory burn-in I suppose.

My pops (smartest guy I ever met) who was a design engineer for 40+ years said a driver is a linear motor and the voice coil is essentially a spring (my terminology here). 

Apr 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #10,885 of 63,897
Ok tried the ATES at the gym  after about 20 hours, bass is definitely smoother but only by a margin.
The ATES are the only earphones I used in gym that didn't pop out of my ears under weight pressure (thanks to the memory wires) I am using mid tips from Hifiman. The ones given by KZ were too big or too small.
My only complaint is that the side with the mic has a tendency jump too much when running hitting my right ear
I have found a way to greatly decrease the bass, if I put the tip in perfect fit it will trap too much bass in the ear canal, but if I let it even a slight 0.1 mm unfit and it will be miles better without losing details and volume! And even if not 100% fit it still blocks any external noises.
I am really surprised by the level of details and voice for this price, it beats the RE-272 sometimes!
Definitely better than any branded iem under 100$
My next earphones will be the stock ones of the HTC 10 that are supposed to be delightful

Apr 26, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #10,886 of 63,897
Am I the only one who finds the ATE muddy/dark?

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #10,888 of 63,897
You don't get cone break-in or mechanical settling in a 7mm driver either, as much as you want to believe.
The above is fully done in the factory when the speaker/cone/earphone are tested, takes a few minutes at max.

Burn-in is a psychoacoustical phenomenon, meaning, all in your brain.
You start with a headphone that sound "close" to good from the box, and burn it in (just listen) till it sounds good.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #10,889 of 63,897
Guys, lets not start another "burn-in" war here. Anyone has right to belive (personal experience or theoretical belief, psychoacoustical or real change) what he/she wants. Lets end it here
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back