Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 19, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #9,691 of 64,143
That's sure as hell fast.... 

Guess I was lucky enough to sold my zs1 few days ago lol.

Long time gone on my ZS1, just got my ZN1 Mini's and here comes ZS2:grin:

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #9,694 of 64,143
now the question is, will ZS2 be better than ZN1 mini?

I'm going to let all you gentlemen tell me, I'm retiring out here in KZ Land:hushed: after getting my Auri Rockets the other day it is clear to me they are in another bracket:confused: I mean my ED9's and ZN1 Mini's are very good iem's for $14 and $10 respectively but neither are at the material/build quality of the Sonics. They for sure are not at them same SQ level!

But I'll be watching and enjoying eveyone here's findings on KZ future releases:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #9,695 of 64,143
I'm going to let all you gentlemen tell me, I'm retiring out here in KZ Land:hushed: after getting my Auri Rockets the other day it is clear to me they are in another bracket:confused: I mean my ED9's and ZN1 Mini's are very good iem's for $14 and $10 respectively but neither are at the material/build quality of the Sonics. They for sure are not at them same SQ level!

But I'll be watching and enjoying eveyone here's findings on KZ future releases:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would love to do the same, but I just enjoy my KZs too much 
biggrin.gif
 The Titan 1, FXH30, B3 Pro 1, they're all on another level yet KZ keeps drawing me back in. Could be worse I guess. They could be a heck of a lot more expensive, lol.

Since we're in the KZ thread and on the subject of KZ earphones, I would like to drop a little ditty on the C56R. These came in around the same time as the HDS3 and at first, I was pretty unimpressed. They sounded a little dull and lifeless, especially compared to KZs newer offerings.

Well, I'm pleased to say that after swapping over to some wide bore, medium JVCs tips and spending some quality time with them, they have really warmed on me. The C56R is a surprisingly mellow listen with very restrained, un-KZ-like treble. They are lacking in overall detail, but don't sound veiled or muffled. Mids are slightly recessed and not really a strength, but this again lends to their relaxed nature. Bass is a little sluggish and could use more texture. There is a focus more on mid-bass than sub-bass which I'm not a fan of. They're not suitable for metal, but with more laid back and relaxed music can be an enjoyable listen. I've really been enjoying them with hip hop; artists such as Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic, Felt, EL-P, etc. I found as well that they sound more lively straight out of my HTC One M8 vs. the Topping NX1. Amped they sounded bloated and extra sluggish, and treble seemed to roll off extra early. They just sounded lifeless. Not what I was expecting. Straight from my phone they have better extension both in highs and lows, and mids seem notably more forward.

Build quality is good with a mix of metal and plastic housings. Those of you whom detest KZs recent cable selections will go ape for these, The cable is standard black rubber. No stickyness, acceptable microphonics, and low memory. The straight jack is also tiny and well-relieved. I have a hard time seeing it interfere with any cellphone cases. Isolation is also not bad considering their shallow fit and fairly large vents. They are two rectangular vents on both the top and bottom of the housings. I bet these would be a cinch to pull apart if someone was interested. Strain reliefs are great at the jack and housings but the y-split is old-school G.K./KZ offering limited relief, same as is found on the Micro Ring.

Overall they're not a stunning earphone that will set the budget iem world on fire, especially when compared to something like the ED9 or EDR2. That said, they still have a place as an enjoyable background listening earphone, such as when you're studying, reading a book, walking around town, etc. They have a very inoffensive, relaxing signature that does nothing to overly well, but nothing terrible either. I think they're more for KZ enthusiasts who want to complete their collection. There are better KZs out there that can be found at nearly the same price, such as the EDR2 or HDS1. In fact, the ED3c sounds like it could have been a good follow up to the C56R as it offers up a very similar signature that mostly addresses the C56R's most notable flaws, with some extra umph added down low.

Pros: Spacious and relaxing sound, comfortable, good for the treble sensitive
Cons: Early sub-bass roll off, lack of detail/texture throughout the entire frequency range, too much mid-bass

So yeah. The C56R isn't great and there are better KZs out there, but they are still a decent listen despite their age. I'd say these are mostly for KZ enthusiasts who want to hear some of their older offerings.

- B9

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #9,697 of 64,143
hey guys, havent posted here in a while.

bought these a while back and loved them

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kz-tuner-black-mental-Acoustical-headphones-headset-HiFi-Headphones-3-5mm-standard-interface-music-earphone/32273100028.html

can no longer find them on aliexpress -- how come? was there a successor ? im looking for a pair with that same, warm sound signature and closed (isolation)
even the page is MIA.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #9,698 of 64,143

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/kz-tuner-black-mental-Acoustical-headphones-headset-HiFi-Headphones-3-5mm-standard-interface-music-earphone/32273100028.html

can no longer find them on aliexpress -- how come? was there a successor ? im looking for a pair with that same, warm sound signature and closed (isolation)
even the page is MIA.

Never seen those.. Is this some old model, or is it a new release? Anyone else who has these?

Feb 21, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #9,701 of 64,143

even the page is MIA.

Never seen those.. Is this some old model, or is it a new release? Anyone else who has these?

I had them and they were ok but needed nozzle-filter mod with foam to tame piercing highs and they were almost same sounding as Piston 2 - A-shaped soundstage and V-shaped sound signature - nothing special.

Feb 21, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #9,702 of 64,143
  I had them and they were ok but needed nozzle-filter mod with foam to tame piercing highs and they were almost same sounding as Piston 2 - A-shaped soundstage and V-shaped sound signature - nothing special.

Which would you [guys] recommend now? 
I assume this is the official kz store? http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1358152
looking at these in particular http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/KZ-ATE-Copper-Driver-Ear-Hook-HiFi-In-Ear-Earphone-Sport-Headphones-For-Running-With-Foam/1358152_32337313320.html

ate s without microphone

Feb 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #9,703 of 64,143
If You are going for ATE don`t take ATE-S version because some claim it to be too bassy. V1silver or V2translucent black is good.

Other recommendations would be ED9, ED11, HDS1, ZN1mini and maybe some newcomers like EDR2 and HDS3.

Give us Your genre and sound preference for better recommendations.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #9,704 of 64,143
If You are going for ATE don`t take ATE-S version because some claim it to be too bassy. V1silver or V2translucent black is good.

Other recommendations would be ED9, ED11, HDS1, ZN1mini and maybe some newcomers like EDR2 and HDS3.

How d you tell v1 from v2? I have a silver ate and the ate-s. Used to have translucent ATE not sure which version, those are now broken but they were my favorite so I need to find where to order them from.

I got the translucent ATE from amazon but they only sell it with mic and I don't want one.

Both the ate-s and silver ate are brighter than the translucent ate was

The ate-s should not be considered worse because of bass quantity for any reason. I personally love the extra bass. It is nice bass, not muddy.

Feb 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #9,705 of 64,143

How d you tell v1 from v2? I have a silver ate and the ate-s. Used to have translucent ATE not sure which version, those are now broken but they were my favorite so I need to find where to order them from.

I got the translucent ATE from amazon but they only sell it with mic and I don't want one.

Both the ate-s and silver ate are brighter than the translucent ate was

The ate-s should not be considered worse because of bass quantity for any reason. I personally love the extra bass. It is nice bass, not muddy.

The first kz ate was the silver. That's v1.
the second kz ate was the translucent black. Thats v2. The difference between v1 and v2 are just the shells.

And finally the next generation of kz ate is kz ate-s.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back