Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 18, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #9,662 of 64,423
  ZN1 I believe was oriented towards those who don't have audiophile DACs and/or AMPs. The EQBOX was aimed at serving the purpose of amping the weak output of smartphones or laptop/desktops. 

But the other side of users already have decent sound sources and didn't want an extra modifier in the sound stage. It made perfect sense to release a version without the EQBOX. I remember some users including me did request for unamped ZN1. 

I thought that ZS1 is the unamped ZN1 (same drivers) but like you said it was not. Fortunately we now have ZN1 mini. The thing is sweet. 

This just proves one thing, that KZ is listening to customers. KZ pls a BA driver earphone pls :wink: are you listening? 

I know right, I think with KZ's backing that they could put a real hurt on ****, Easy and HCK when it comes to custom hybrid iem's
tongue_smile.gif
Are you listening KZ???? Could we start with a dual BA/single dynamic model, oh pwetty pwease
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #9,663 of 64,423
@EISENbricher you're gonna love the monks! Also, let's hope your new pair of HDS3 aren't plagued with balance issues once again. I'll be waiting to hear from ya before i grab another pair.. but i'm a bit surprised there haven't been any new KZ after dropping the EDR2 and HDS3 on us like that lol!

Yeap, actually I've never got an earbud since years (my last one was one of the Sony in my college years when in-ear were pretty much a new thing). I have doubts regarding isolation and fit, not like I'm expecting too much from an earbud anyway. I just hope that they offer a different sound flavor to my current candy store xD Looking forward to Monks.

Yeah I was wondering the same as well. In last few months KZ did a fantastic job of keeping us busy with lot of good new releases. Actually compared to other brands they are very speedy at releasing stuff. For example see Havi... after the strong success of B3P1 the fans are waiting since ages for a new release. Same in case of VSonic.

I suspect this cooldown is because of Chinese New Year though. It's pretty much a big thing in China and all the manufacturing, design, transport work ceases for few days. Maybe after this they'll start in full swing again, I hope. 

Sorry for ranting too much > 

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #9,664 of 64,423
  One could get the EDR2 for 4.1$ from gearbest if you use the gearbest points to discount it by 30% :)!

What?? lol I think I missed the deal but well, at such low price no regrets  : ) 

I know right, I think with KZ's backing that they could put a real hurt on ****, Easy and HCK when it comes to custom hybrid iem's
tongue_smile.gif
Are you listening KZ???? Could we start with a dual BA/single dynamic model, oh pwetty pwease
biggrin.gif

Yeah!
I talked a lot with KZ rep in past regarding this but according to them the decent BA drivers that they'd have to outsource would cost too much and essentially make the BA release cost high. So a BA release is not planned yet. This communication was done like 3 months ago.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #9,665 of 64,423
  What?? lol I think I missed the deal but well, at such low price no regrets  : ) 

You didn't miss the deal, whenever you pay stuff at gearbest you get points, which you can use to discount anything you buy (up to 30% of the total cost), which is how my brother only paid 6.99$ for his KZ ATE :).
Speaking of the ATE, it completely destroys the xiaomi piston 3's, both by comfort/fit and sound quality, even the build quality seems great! But that just might be my intolerance for bass thump, lack of mids, wonder how they'll compare to the **** UE I ordered.

And prepare to be amazed by the Monks, even if you would set the expectations very high, you'd still be surprised by them, mark my words :>!

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #9,666 of 64,423
  You didn't miss the deal, whenever you pay stuff at gearbest you get points, which you can use to discount anything you buy (up to 30% of the total cost), which is how my brother only paid 6.99$ for his KZ ATE :).
Speaking of the ATE, it completely destroys the xiaomi piston 3's, both by comfort/fit and sound quality, even the build quality seems great! But that just might be my intolerance for bass thump, lack of mids, wonder how they'll compare to the **** UE I ordered.

And prepare to be amazed by the Monks, even if you would set the expectations very high, you'd still be surprised by them, mark my words :>!

I'd love to hear how Senfers go agains KZ camp. They look really sweet and I considered to buy those. 

BTW Monk praise from multiple head fiers here, I'm surely hyped : D

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #9,667 of 64,423
  I'd love to hear how Senfers go agains KZ camp. They look really sweet and I considered to buy those. 

Let me start this reply saying IMHO the Monk is the absolute best buy in all of audio period
wink_face.gif

Now I would not even mind paying more for a KZ Custom because I think KZ would build an awesome one worth every penny they asked
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #9,668 of 64,423
Hi guys. I excitedly ordered some mmcx cable for my beloved KZ ATE.

It seems like they are not real MMCX connectors, or really tough ones if they are?

I've replaced MMCX before on wifi devices with no problem so I thought maybe it wasn't real mmcx.

On one I ended up ripping the wire out altogether, on the other one the enitre MMCX "assembly" came out, but that side of the earphones still works.

Luckily they're only $10 and i have a spare set of them as well as the ATE-S. However, now I am not really feeling great about attempting to swap the cable on my other ATE.

Is it a real but very tough MMCX or is it not actually detachable? I am thinking it might be hardwired because the full MMCX "assembly" came out of one but the wire is still going into it...

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #9,669 of 64,423
ATE doesn't have MMCX connectors at all.... you'd need female MMCX bought separately if you want to install real MMCX connectors on ATE.
I'd not advise that though. Mainly because of ATE's construction. It's plastic body without any correct method to disassemble without distorting/damaging it. 

I'd totally recommend using an ear hook with ATE though. It does both jobs of securing it nicer as well as reducing wear and tear of that joint. My first pair fell to the wear and tear and that's the weakest point on ATE (non S version)

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #9,670 of 64,423

Guess I'll find out how they compare, I would've gone for the ATE but there's no point grabbing one for both of us (my brother an I) when I could just try the **** instead :>, besides Theresa from HCkexin was kind enough to save the special new years discount for me till today, even though it passed a couple of days ago, so I got them for 22.4$ (red+blue with blue cable which I find extremely good looking).

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #9,671 of 64,423
  ATE doesn't have MMCX connectors at all.... you'd need female MMCX bought separately if you want to install real MMCX connectors on ATE.
I'd not advise that though. Mainly because of ATE's construction. It's plastic body without any correct method to disassemble without distorting/damaging it. 

I'd totally recommend using an ear hook with ATE though. It does both jobs of securing it nicer as well as reducing wear and tear of that joint. My first pair fell to the wear and tear and that's the weakest point on ATE (non S version)

hmm, both ebay and amzon listing for the normal ATE said it had a removable MMCX connector! that is disappointing...

at least i am only out $10 or $15 or whatever it was  :)

I don't think they'll take my destroyed ATE back now, haha!

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #9,672 of 64,423

hmm, both ebay and amzon listing for the normal ATE said it had a removable MMCX connector! that is disappointing...

at least i am only out $10 or $15 or whatever it was  :)

I don't think they'll take my destroyed ATE back now, haha!

Heck, I'd send them back for false advertisement! Just tell them you pulled hard on the cable because their add said they were MMCX and it broke because they lied
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #9,673 of 64,423
Amazon approved my return because it was not as described. I hope the seller will change it to say it is not a MMCX detachable cable.

I made it clear in the comment section of the return I broke the IEM trying to remove the cable. so if they don't approve it, i would rather be honest.

I probably will try again to make the MMCX to EX1000 adapter to make use of this nice cable.

Feb 18, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #9,674 of 64,423
Hope you like the Monks EISEN. I think of KZ IEMs as seriously good value for money, but by the same standards find myself in trouble to describe the value for money on the Monks, it's quite insane. I definitely prefer IEM fit, but after you find the fit that makes them sound best for you, the sound more than makes up for it. At first I found them uncomfortable but you do get used to them more over time. Sorry for the OT peeps :rolleyes: !

I got a telegram saying a package arrived at the post office - too many small bits & bobs on order, but I hope it's the ZN1 Mini (or the Xduoo X2) !

Feb 18, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #9,675 of 64,423
Was hoping to ask particularly in this thread (coz nowhere else I can find VFM conscious ppl like here). Any BA stuff for cheap? I've never had a BA and I'm dying to experience one. Doesn't matter even if it's not the best VFM. <$20 anything out there? poor 
badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png
 out.

Quote:
  Amazon approved my return because it was not as described. I hope the seller will change it to say it is not a MMCX detachable cable.

I made it clear in the comment section of the return I broke the IEM trying to remove the cable. so if they don't approve it, i would rather be honest.

I probably will try again to make the MMCX to EX1000 adapter to make use of this nice cable.

Good to know that they agreed. The description was so misleading and I totally see someone pulling the joint hard after reading that. 

In fact, when ATE was first launched lot people here thought that the connector was removable. Chinese sites don't help much in describing everything anyway. So it was a matter of mystery till first head fier here got those and confirmed that it wasn't removable.

Hope you like the Monks EISEN. I think of KZ IEMs as seriously good value for money, but by the same standards find myself in trouble to describe the value for money on the Monks, it's quite insane. I definitely prefer IEM fit, but after you find the fit that makes them sound best for you, the sound more than makes up for it. At first I found them uncomfortable but you do get used to them more over time. Sorry for the OT peeps
rolleyes.gif
!

I got a telegram saying a package arrived at the post office - too many small bits & bobs on order, but I hope it's the ZN1 Mini (or the Xduoo X2) !

Another +1 for monks, now I have no doubt to believe in it. Thanks for your impression too. 

Wow you're going to love the X2! That small thing is a beast and a VFM champ in DAPs. I love mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back