drum roll please...

#1~ED9 brass
#2~ED3 Acme Youth
#3~EDSE

Good but getting no head-time...
ED3 Perfection
HDS1
ED10

didn't enjoy due to sound or fit issue's...
ATE-S
ZS1
CM9

JMHO YMMV

I wanna play
biggrin.gif
Majority of my collection is classic rock and here goes...................

#1~ED9 brass
#2~HDS1
#3~ZN1 (Original amped)

Good but getting no head-time...
ED3 Perfection (Great sounding boat anchors)
ATE (Depth/seal issue, never found the perfect tips))
DT5 (Too pretty to wear)
wink.gif

didn't enjoy due to sound or fit issue's...
HDS2 (Gave them to this big mouth kid who I assumed had big ear canal's as well)
rolleyes.gif

ED11 (Both 10's and 11's hurt my ears but they sound pretty vibrant)
ZS1 (Gave to a friend who I knew was a BassHead and of course he raves about them)

YMMV, bada bing
beerchug.gif

Speaking of classic rock, R.I.P. to two greats! Enjoy

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #9,257 of 64,160
Yup, ZN1 is mellow compared to ED10. ED10 is among the most aggressive KZ along with ED11 (I've mentioned that somewhere in this thread)
Yup those are of that type.

ED8 is the heaviest KZ though.. ZN1 is comfier to wear that ED8 for long period.

Have a look on HDS1 and ED9 then, they are the most versatile of KZ lineup and should do enough justice for almost all music genres.

What do you think of Zircon compare to ZN1 mini?

Jan 27, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #9,258 of 64,160
Jan 27, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #9,259 of 64,160
  What is your sound preference and your usual kind of music? That will help some people to know which KZ is good for what :b

Good idea...it's in my profile also. 
Rock (Kansas, Yes, etc), Metal (Fates Warning, Dream Theater, etc)
Also listen to folk, instrumental, a little world music and a splash of classical. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #9,260 of 64,160
  Good idea...it's in my profile also. 
Rock (Kansas, Yes, etc), Metal (Fates Warning, Dream Theater, etc)
Also listen to folk, instrumental, a little world music and a splash of classical. 

Just for you Cad
wink_face.gif

This song...........................

Sounds AWESOME on this rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #9,261 of 64,160

Just for you Cad
wink_face.gif

Kansas rules! Thanks Podster.
btw the HDS1 is nice and balanced, light and easy to wear, now about that cable...

Jan 27, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #9,262 of 64,160
Soundstage would be the key for Psychedelic/ambient music and ZN1 mini would be the best bet. It has nice surround feel and overall sound is pretty refined. Strongly recommended.

ED8m and ATE are the other ones that I can think of that would go well with this genre.

Good for you... it might be the difference in ear cavity shape. I find the whirlwinds too hard as I'm used to very soft Sony hybrids or other soft silicone tips.
Best luck for ZN1, it's a gem of an earphone : ) 

That was the box when ED9 was just launched. Those who had it ordered very early got that rectangular one. I also did get the same when I purchased my first pair and then the shield shaped one later with second pair. 

To verify whether the earphone is original or not I'd suggest to do a quality check on cable. The KZ cable should be brown colored one on ED9 and should have a little springy feel to it. 
I don't think that there will be fake ED9 around though... already KZ prices it so low even along with the nozzles. In worst case it may be a part of a rejected batch but in that case it'll just sound pretty bad. 

Please let it burn in for some time, ED9 is top crop of KZ. Most of the people would love its sound assuming the pair is legit.

Yeh I'm not really sure about the round atm, I tried the brass nozzles and the sound went so quite and flat it sounded like I was listening to mouse radio.

The gold nozzles sound good but I still feel like they need a nice long burn in. Mids sound a bit congested.

Indeed it is, it has since been moved to a nice retagular zipper case:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I can't remember biw which was my first pair of KZ's that came in what I call their green packaging but I've gotten them in the black box as well as some came in plain cardboard color. I really don't care what they come in as long as they sound goid with no flaws:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: All my iem's end up in a KZ zipper pouch anyway:beers:

Ah Nice, I was thinking of buying the M3 but never pushed the button.

Jan 27, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #9,264 of 64,160

What do you think of Zircon compare to ZN1 mini?

Never tried Zircons... 
Thanks for your impressions EISEN! I only have ATE from KZ atm, but ZN1 Mini on order, really can't wait
smily_headphones1.gif
. I really enjoy my ATE's, but would like to get a bit more present midbass but especially: treble extension. Listening to songs I know well it becomes pretty apparent that they're (my pair at least) pretty rolled off at the top end. I'm also a soundstage buff
smily_headphones1.gif
. If ZN1 Mini improves on these areas, I think I'm gonna be one happy camper ! (OT: Just got my VE Monks in - holy crap - ATE will probably just be used for my electronic music fix - psytrance / dub stuff like Bluetech & Shpongle
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Cool... i hope you'll enjoy

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #9,267 of 64,160
  Hi there KZ fans! My review of the ED4 is up :D

http://www.head-fi.org/products/knowledge-zenith-ed4/reviews/15115

Overall I find them hyper-aggressive, far from neutral, and bloody awesome.

You describe it similar to how I describe the ED10, except the ED10 doesn't get shrill or spiky highs at high volume. That said, my Galaxy Note 3 has a "tube amp simulation" that warms up the ED10 and makes a 1-button fix that makes it equal to my $100 IEMs.

Jan 27, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #9,268 of 64,160
  You describe it similar to how I describe the ED10, except the ED10 doesn't get shrill or spiky highs at high volume. That said, my Galaxy Note 3 has a "tube amp simulation" that warms up the ED10 and makes a 1-button fix that makes it equal to my $100 IEMs.

Oooo....that's a cool sounding feature. Pairing the ED4 with a warm source definitely helps, but that shrillness still kicks in occasionally. I think I still like the ED10 more, but the ED4, flaws and all, is up there.

That said, this new EDR2...hot damn am I ever liking it so far! It encouraged me to finish the ED4 review so I can move onto the Brainwavz Omega, then finally to the EDR2. I've only put a couple hours of music through them so far, but what I've heard I've REALLY enjoyed. Even more balanced and detailed than the HDS1 but with a better soundstage and improved treble extension. Less mid-bass too. I noticed as well that the vents on the bottom of the EDR2's housing, while there, are glued shut (looks deliberate). Pretty sure these are fully sealed. Luckily no driver flex! Woot woot.

Jan 27, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #9,270 of 64,160

Oooo....that's a cool sounding feature. Pairing the ED4 with a warm source definitely helps, but that shrillness still kicks in occasionally. I think I still like the ED10 more, but the ED4, flaws and all, is up there.

That said, this new EDR2...hot damn am I ever liking it so far! It encouraged me to finish the ED4 review so I can move onto the Brainwavz Omega, then finally to the EDR2. I've only put a couple hours of music through them so far, but what I've heard I've REALLY enjoyed. Even more balanced and detailed than the HDS1 but with a better soundstage and improved treble extension. Less mid-bass too. I noticed as well that the vents on the bottom of the EDR2's housing, while there, are glued shut (looks deliberate). Pretty sure these are fully sealed. Luckily no driver flex! Woot woot.

Please, let us know when your review is up for the EDR2's! .....Sounds promissing!
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back