Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 28, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #9,286 of 64,382
And more important: is it lighter than original edse?

It's lighter (new housing material...aluminium most likely)

Ruben123 ...sometimes I wonder do You even read posts(answers) to Your questions
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by EISENbricher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Especially the part around the nozzle has been producing a lot of green residue... to make it worse I live in humid weather. 
Similarly ED8 and ED9's brass nozzle also produces that residue if kept in humid conditions. 

Oh my, haven`t used my ED9 for a while and seems like they have "gone green"
frown.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #9,287 of 64,382
Is it more balanced than ed9 or hds1? And more important: is it lighter than original edse?

It's much lighter. It's balanced, but in a different way. ED9 I found mildly u-shaped even with the brass filters, HDS1 was balanced with a midbass tilt, and the EDR2 is balanced with a treble tilt. I wouldn't call it completely balanced but I would say it is up there as I e of the more balanced KZs.

Ruben123 ...sometimes I wonder do You even read posts(answers) to Your questions:rolleyes:

Aaaand it's responses like this that have kept me pretty quiet on the forums so far this year.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #9,288 of 64,382
I know some people refuse to use EQ. I did for years too, but compare the ZN1 Mini with and without this EQ and it is just night and day difference. I don't think I'd listen to them again without EQ correction. (I know some IEMs don't take EQ correction well, but these do.) Also for reference are a couple other EQ corrections I prefer, and you will notice I like to keep a bass bump, especially subbass.

I having an order of ZN1 Mini incoming too.. currently using AT im50. Researched that both sound signatures are different, hopefully it works out well. Any good EQ apps on android to work it with?

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #9,289 of 64,382

Ruben123 ...sometimes I wonder do You even read posts(answers) to Your questions:rolleyes:

Aaaand it's responses like this that have kept me pretty quiet on the forums so far this year.

Sorry if it sounded harsh, I`m tired atm and when ppl don`t read and ppl have to repeat themselves, then it makes me littlebit irritated
redface.gif

No attack or insult intended towards anyone. Sorry.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #9,290 of 64,382
I just received my ZN Mini - they sound quite nice out of the box, but can't say more so far, since I'm at work and couldn't even really try to get an ideal seal. Only thing I noticed is one side rattles a bit in very low frequencies. Will see if that improves, I only noticed it during the rattle test, not with music...

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #9,291 of 64,382
ED9 I found mildly u-shaped even with the brass filters, HDS1 was balanced with a midbass tilt, and the EDR2 is balanced with a treble tilt. I wouldn't call it completely balanced but I would say it is up there as I e of the more balanced KZs.

According to Your impressions seems that EDR2 isn`t my cup of tea (I`m sensitive to highs and EDSE had "splashy/harsh" treble with with tinybit sibilance in vocals (especially female).
HDS1 might be good one for me though.

Jan 28, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #9,292 of 64,382
Ordered EDR2. Damn you guys..

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #9,293 of 64,382
  Sorry if it sounded harsh, I`m tired atm and when ppl don`t read and ppl have to repeat themselves, then it makes me littlebit irritated
redface.gif

Maybe I overreacted a bit but the forums have been uncharacteristically negative as of late. 

According to Your impressions seems that EDR2 isn`t my cup of tea (I`m sensitive to highs and EDSE had "splashy/harsh" treble with with tinybit sibilance in vocals (especially female).

Maybe not, as they are on the brighter side. That said, the splashy treble of the EDse is not present in the EDR2. Haven't noticed any sibilance, yet. They are very clean and sharp. Hopefully that quality sticks around as that was something I loved about the ED10 originally, but over time they "loosened" up so to speak.

Enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #9,294 of 64,382

redface.gif

Maybe I overreacted a bit but the forums have been uncharacteristically negative as of late. 

Maybe not, as they are on the brighter side. That said, the splashy treble of the EDse is not present in the EDR2. Haven't noticed any sibilance, yet. They are very clean and sharp. Hopefully that quality sticks around as that was something I loved about the ED10 originally, but over time they "loosened" up so to speak.

Enjoy! 
beerchug.gif

It's only $5 on Ali.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #9,295 of 64,382
  Ruben123 ...sometimes I wonder do You even read posts(answers) to Your questions
rolleyes.gif

Oh my, haven`t used my ED9 for a while and seems like they have "gone green"
frown.gif

Well Im just out of bed too (well then) so that should explain a bit too, remembered I read something about EDR2's weight but couldnt find it quickly so thought I just made it up and hadnt been posted yet, my bad.

Also it seems the EDR1 is the EDSE, but now there is the EDR2 which were talking about. Interesting phone, but it is not the only interesting KZ that's not posted much about yet... 

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #9,296 of 64,382
Refusing to use EQ is like refusing to put salt on your food. EQ is one of the final steps of mastering. Its a purely subjective process based on the engineers ears and gear. Just like salt & pepper on the table, we have EQ for a reason. Salt to taste and enjoy.

I not only don't use an EQ but also don't use salt at the table...
biggrin.gif

sometimes I wish I had one though (I actually do) but I think it's a remnant from the days when if you had a nice home system you would never put a EQ in the chain... plus too much sodium is bad for you 
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #9,297 of 64,382
  I'd really appreciate if EDR2 has aluminium housing. That way it'll preserve legacy of EDSE (Considering EDR2 as EDSE mk.II) while eliminating some issues. 

My main concerns about EDSE's build were the weight and the  metal used. Especially the part around the nozzle has been producing a lot of green residue... to make it worse I live in humid weather. 

Similarly ED8 and ED9's brass nozzle also produces that residue if kept in humid conditions. 

Since I use the ED9's the most of my KZ's I regularly pull my tips off and clean them of ear wax (I tend to produce that stuff at alarming rates)! Therefore my nozzles get wiped down as well but I understand the tarning of all these models because pot metal tends to deteriorate rapidly if not maintained on a regular basis, aluminum does not suffer the same fate but like wood shells aluminum does have a different sound characteristic to these of the lower grade metals. I'm pretty the ear canal is a nasty place to hang out all the time and probably creates plenty of moisture no matter the outside weather conditions.

Glad you brought this subject up Eisen, I meant to several months ago but got side tracked
redface.gif
Even though most of these KZ's are $10 bargains a little TLC goes a long way to increase lifespan and performance.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #9,298 of 64,382
I not only don't use an EQ but also don't use salt at the table...:D  

sometimes I wish I had one though (I actually do) but I think it's a remnant from the days when if you had a nice home system you would never put a EQ in the chain... plus too much sodium is bad for you :wink:  

I thought that I was the only one! Unlike speakers, imo, headphones are meant to sound different as entrees are supposed to taste different. I don't add salt to my food (it tastes the way it does because it's supposed to) just like how i refuse to eq my phones (they sound how they should)!

That's just how I see it. Also, is the HDS3 not the EDR2? Or do they just look alike.. I thought someone else ended up establishing they were one in the same but I guess not. I'm still waiting on my HDS3 and monks to arrive :frowning2:

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #9,299 of 64,382
I thought that I was the only one! Unlike speakers, imo, headphones are meant to sound different as entrees are supposed to taste different. I don't add salt to my food (it tastes the way it does because it's supposed to) just like how i refuse to eq my phones (they sound how they should)!

That's just how I see it. Also, is the HDS3 not the EDR2? Or do they just look alike.. I thought someone else ended up establishing they were one in the same but I guess not. I'm still waiting on my HDS3 and monks to arrive :frowning2:

Now see fallrsk, I respect both you and Cad's thoughts and feelings about EQ however I tend to fall into the variety is the spice of life camp (not to mention I'm a salt-a-holic
eek.gif
). For me all reproduced music is just that and for me anyway I know I'm never going to get out what was put in and how it was put in so doctoring, coloration or whatever most want to call it is just a way to get your reproduced music to sound how you want it to sound. The main reason this hobby is so subjective is there are so many variables in every system and with each piece within that system. I truly believe the end of this rainbow can never be reached but we all can come pretty close to what we think the reproduction should sound like to us with enough trial and error
wink_face.gif
The main thing is that we keep listening and enjoying our music
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #9,300 of 64,382

The HDS3 seems to be a revised version of the HDS1, featuring similar styling queues as seen on the ESse and EDR1. Not at all confusing :wink: hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back