Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 19, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #7,562 of 63,834
  Those are not from KZ but QKZ.

is QKZ a manufacturer?
or they just put label on a product somebody else manufactures?

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #7,563 of 63,834
What do you think, what is better ED9 or HDS1 ?

Certainly can't comment on that right now... I must give some quality listening time before I could comment on that. 
Besides ED9 comes with two different sounding sets on nozzles. That makes direct comparison even more difficult.

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7,564 of 63,834
Shen Zhen Fly Red Electronics Co... I jumped on the 11/11 deal, 10.55 seemed too good an offer

she may have a lot of orders which occured in 11/11 deal, thus it may be reason of delay.
But this is still negative thing and make me stay away from that seller.
tongue.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #7,565 of 63,834
@EISENbricher , also interested about Your opinion on HDS1 vs. ED9 with brass nozzles. And also, if You have both, ED10 & ED11, can You compare if they sound different?

Nov 19, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #7,566 of 63,834
  @EISENbricher , also interested about Your opinion on HDS1 vs. ED9 with brass nozzles. And also, if You have both, ED10 & ED11, can You compare if they sound different?

Sure. About ED11 and ED10, to me they sound almost similar. ED10's sound is from memory though... an unfortunate accident broke my ED10. Another pair of ED10 I have is imbalanced.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #7,567 of 63,834
No sir, never picked up either of the 3's as I really need to lay off even the bargain KZ's for a while with Christmas coming. Not to mention I have 7 pair en-route now:wink: Obviously my meds are no where strong enough for my urges:blink:

So my ZS1's finally made it here just now and after my HDS1's got herre in their new earth conscience green box I thought What then my new ZS1's come in a black cardboard box just like the one the HDS1's were in and I've come to the conclusion it's one of three things at KZ!

1.) They have truly gone green to help save the earth?

2.) They realized they were selling $10 iem's in a $20 iem package usually reserved for $50 plus iem's?

3.) Reality set in:wink_face:

Inteeresting., my Zs1's came in a similar looking box with two notable differences. There were two boxes both were black/dark gray ( the box shown above ) was the outer box with and the other slid into it. Inside that secknd box was a zippered case black with red zipper ( lager than the Kz cases I purchased for my others) inside that were 2 sets of tips ( red and blue whirlwinds) and the Zs1's of course. The Zn1's came in a large plastic case ( rectangular jnstead of shield shaped) with plastic stand offs to hold the Zn's in place. I don't knoe why the difference other than I paid the premium price of $18 for the Zs1's.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #7,568 of 63,834
Guys, forget what I said earlier about "ZS1 = ZN1 - amp module". Their sound signature differs audibly, especially in the treble. ZN1 > ZS1.

ZN1 has the better mids, doesn't sound dark in the treble and has got more spatial width (and also a bit more depth). What the ZS1 does better is that the bass emphasis starts lower, but there is a transition between both drivers (can be slightly heard with a sine generator and seen on a measurement graph) -> bass sounds a little disconnected, not 100% coherent (~80%).

ZS1 is not bad on its own, but the ZN1 is the better out of the two (ZS1 has got somewhat veiled mids, else sound is not really much worse than ZN1).

EDIT: ZS1 has a narrower nozzle (a metal part narrows it on the inside) and the tweeter is not back-vented (the crossover sits on the back of it). No wonder why it sounds different.

That explains some of it, I knew the cross overs had to be different (passive and not as efficient) but don't understand why they changed the venting on the tweeter. The Zn1's have such a nice full signature , diffrent bass , lighter ( when not in passive "off" mode) which has gotten better over time. I have trouble describing the mids. They sound thinner to me not quite how I describe the veiled signature of the ATE. But probably the same thing just on a different order. I'm new enough to still be struggling with the nomenclature. I think I'd be more impressed with them if I had purchased them before getting the Zn1's . Thanks for the input ( so where do I drill the hole to back vent the tweeter?) Just kidding.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #7,569 of 63,834
Wow, all these zs1 finds are starting to upset mw a little! I really wanted what seemed to be the great zn1 without the half assed amp assembly.. Does anyone know if it's possible to recable a zn1?.. Anyway, i planned on using the zs1 for gaming so hopefully the soundstage will work for me nicely.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #7,571 of 63,834
That explains some of it, I knew the cross overs had to be different (passive and not as efficient) but don't understand why they changed the venting on the tweeter. The Zn1's have such a nice full signature , diffrent bass , lighter ( when not in passive "off" mode) which has gotten better over time. I have trouble describing the mids. They sound thinner to me not quite how I describe the veiled signature of the ATE. But probably the same thing just on a different order. I'm new enough to still be struggling with the nomenclature. I think I'd be more impressed with them if I had purchased them before getting the Zn1's . Thanks for the input ( so where do I drill the hole to back vent the tweeter?) Just kidding.

Well so far I'm kind of 80% in agreement with Chris on the ZS1 especially the bass. But after running my ZS1's on my X3II/Topping NX2 I'm inclined to believe just what I thought the first time I played them off my iPhone 6 was they needed juice to open up and that is just what happened, they are closer sounding to the ZN1's once they are amped but still heavy on the bass side. I put on some Dwight Yoakam which has very little bass signature the mids and highs of the ZS1's sound fine, at least to me they do! YMMV Listening to a little Dave Matthews right now and they are still a little bass heavy but I feel it's the engineering of my recording that the bass is bloated and not the ZS1's. So now I'm playing a little Depeche Agent Orange and I believe EDM/Trance lovers will find these to be very sweet iem's for the asking price and if you have EQ and can tweak all the better. As I mentioned before I like these better than my ATE's but once again that is my ears
rolleyes.gif
The orchestration on Dean Martin's "Return to me" sounds absolute fluid and like your right in front of them, they are still just a little on the bassy side but I'm sure can be tamed for any genre if one has EQ ability
wink_face.gif
They have been sounding pretty good on rock and classic rock as well
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #7,572 of 63,834
I ended up ordering medium-small (MS) and hope they fit correctly. Most small tips fit fine but others seem too small so I'm keeping my fingers crossed with these. What do you think about the Spinfits? I read that there are two versions and the Japanese are slippery?? and the Jaden spinfits are better...

I just got Spinfits, they're definitely more comfortable than the Hybrids, but sound wise the Hybrids win.

There are two versions, with one made out of more slippery silicone.

If you're worried about wasting a lot of your money, there's a member who sells them $10 a pair on eBay.

I find that it's more comfortable to get one a little smaller in size so you can insert it deeper btw.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #7,573 of 63,834
I completely agree :)

Edit: I do love my replicas though. They have an amazing sound stage and with a minor eq boost, very addictive bass.

Oh yeah if you find those replicas so addictive you should definitely try the real thing. You won't wanna take them out of your ears.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #7,574 of 63,834
Inteeresting., my Zs1's came in a similar looking box with two notable differences. There were two boxes both were black/dark gray ( the box shown above ) was the outer box with and the other slid into it. Inside that secknd box was a zippered case black with red zipper ( lager than the Kz cases I purchased for my others) inside that were 2 sets of tips ( red and blue whirlwinds) and the Zs1's of course. The Zn1's came in a large plastic case ( rectangular jnstead of shield shaped) with plastic stand offs to hold the Zn's in place. I don't knoe why the difference other than I paid the premium price of $18 for the Zs1's.

Well my HDS1's came like that, same tan color box within the outer box but not the ZS1's. Just went down to my front desk as it seems I'm getting iem's from China daily
eek.gif
My running joke with the little girl at the front desk is "A package a day keeps the Dr. away" and I work at a Hospital/Teaching University
biggrin.gif

Oh look Ma, more iem's
blink.gif

ED9 Youth's (Currently trying to find a physical difference in the original ED('s) and Igor's Plextone X41M's. $19.55 shipped for both
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #7,575 of 63,834

Well so far I'm kind of 80% in agreement with Chris on the ZS1 especially the bass. But after running my ZS1's on my X3II/Topping NX2 I'm inclined to believe just what I thought the first time I played them off my iPhone 6 was they needed juice to open up and that is just what happened, they are closer sounding to the ZN1's once they are amped but still heavy on the bass side. I put on some Dwight Yoakam which has very little bass signature the mids and highs of the ZS1's sound fine, at least to me they do! YMMV Listening to a little Dave Matthews right now and they are still a little bass heavy but I feel it's the engineering of my recording that the bass is bloated and not the ZS1's. So now I'm playing a little Depeche Agent Orange and I believe EDM/Trance lovers will find these to be very sweet iem's for the asking price and if you have EQ and can tweak all the better. As I mentioned before I like these better than my ATE's but once again that is my ears
rolleyes.gif
The orchestration on Dean Martin's "Return to me" sounds absolute fluid and like your right in front of them, they are still just a little on the bassy side but I'm sure can be tamed for any genre if one has EQ ability
wink_face.gif
They have been sounding pretty good on rock and classic rock as well
biggrin.gif

Oh yes definitely better than the ATE. I'll have to try some amplification. I basically have the same setup you do. Fiio X3 gen 2 but a Topping Nx1. Somehow I think it may be partly in how I'm looking at it going up ed3,ATE,Ed9 there is definably an  improvement. Coming back from the Zn1's it's not as good. So I have been describing the improvement I've been describing from not quite as good. which is probably a mistake as more folks have the ATE's, ED9's etc than the Zn1's. Hopefully this makes sense. Same position just from the other end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back