Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 29, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #56,897 of 63,916
Im curious if anybody has gotten the KZ zex and also owns the trn 90? How do they compare to each other? My v90 died a while back, now using my older KZ ed16. I'm thinking about buying the zex on 11.11

Would be interesting to hear a small comparison between the 2 :)

Oct 29, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #56,898 of 63,916
TRNV90?
if i recalled it right, its a bassy smooth IEM, i tried it for very short time in store. so recollection might be a problem.
You'll get something similar with Trip Mele or you could wait for KZ ZEX Pro for something possibly closer to what V90 original price segment (KZ ZS-series contender)

That being said, i still ponder on buying ZEX this weekend. I could reason to myself as buying a gift for my recently married coworker who begun to listen to music with iem.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #56,899 of 63,916
I've no interest in IEM's that pass over the ear, prolly isolate too much from outside noise and make you look like wearing hearing aids, I think my golden ticket is ED9 with short nozzles + CP100(much better than CP145) , any other eartip to try please? Available on AE if any possible :)

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #56,900 of 63,916
Don't know what's the hype but ZEX have decent reviews on youtube and I also read some reviews on aliexpress and some say it sound better than ZSX & ZAX, and ZEX sound like $150-200 IEMs.

Some were comparing GK10 to $500-1000 IEM. I could believe it for certain pairs of overpriced garbage. There's way more subjective gray area here than some would have you to believe for their hard and fast rankings. For certain tracks the Geek really does shine, especially on a clean balanced source.

I think this pair of Heart Mirrors lives up to it's giant killer hype, and they only cost me 43 euros, shipped. I doubt I'm going to do a review on them as so many have already extolled their virtues, but they're a very good pair for under $50 as many others here have repeatedly called out.

I'm not at all doubtful that ZEX are indeed better than some 150-200 pairs. Same for ZAX, which is still an excellent set imo with a lot of transparency and great imaging when using a balanced amp.

So many of the reviews on head-fi are by purists who refuse to EQ to taste. This is logical folly and just plain lazy imo. It's true that a bad pair of phones can't be fixed with EQ, but a good pair can generally be tuned to a great one with minimal time investment.

Re: A4000 - there are plenty of detractors about that set and I've read a few lukewarm reviews. Despite that, A4000 have been on my short list but like the Spring 2 peizos at the same price, I'm not at all convinced they're better than my budget pairs.

My .02 pence

Oct 29, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #56,901 of 63,916
My new hookup this week is the BA10 on the powerdac v2.1 and a new pair of balanced litz cables from XINHS. 320 mW into 32 ohms. Holeeeee fuuuuuuudgeeee (except i didn't say fudge!). Starline tips still getting the job done.

I think E1DA is KZ's spirit animal.

Oct 29, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #56,905 of 63,916
I really liked ZEX surprisingly more than NRA, not because they are drastically different (likely not, though DD can be different and feel more refined in KZ), but because of the synergy.
I started to use ZEX with Tempotec E44, and it really worked nicely - crisp, clean and analytical (to my ears) E44 paired really well with ZEX that is gentle (if not to say "somewhat lacking") in treble.

The new KZ driver is a magnetic rigid membrane (bottom of the image) suspended between two coils (an upper part of the image, one is disassembled):
20210917_144356.jpg

Magnetostat it can be - OK, if to consider by a broad definition; EST - no way; more really of a reverse-engineered microphone design made to produce sounds, as you could read from KZ. Somewhat limited - not much response above 12 kHz (measured by power consumption).
But then it synergizes well with a DD, and where it works - can sound really nice; then for some genres/sound - you would feel it being artificial.
Overally, ZEX is amazing for $20, nothing less.

What BAs will be used in ZEX pro (likely treble (?)) and how they will work together is a bit of a hard puzzle for me, but under $40 - I will be happy to serve as a beta tester for KZ :)

P. S. Editing typos

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #56,907 of 63,916
Oct 29, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #56,909 of 63,916
EST or not, what chifi IEM used something like this before?
Ermm... Unique Melody, Moondrop, and many more Chi-fi lol. I am talking about tri-brid IEM unless you are talking about Magnetostatic driver used in KZ ZEX.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back