Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 28, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #56,881 of 63,834
Does KZ ZEX sound better than KZ ZSX? I have KZ ZSX with KZ gold silver mix cable that I use with my Fiio M3K.

I've got both CCA equivalents, the NRA and C12 (same driver layout as ZSX, a bit less vee shaped). Both are some of my favorite pairs but each is a side-grade to the other IMO.

I think of KZs catalog (and most of chifi) as being more like flavors of ice cream than being a strictly ranked scale of worse/better. Occasionally I get a hankering for butternut pecan (BA10) but on any given day I'm alright with strawberry (C12).

Oct 28, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #56,882 of 63,834
I've got both CCA equivalents, the NRA and C12 (same driver layout as ZSX, a bit less vee shaped). Both are some of my favorite pairs but each is a side-grade to the other IMO.

I think of KZs catalog (and most of chifi) as being more like flavors of ice cream than being a strictly ranked scale of worse/better. Occasionally I get a hankering for butternut pecan (BA10) but on any given day I'm alright with strawberry (C12).
Thanks for reply, so you mean ZSX is better than ZEX (in my case)? I was thinking about selling my ZSX and buy ZEX. $20 is much if you live in a corrupt country like mine.

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #56,885 of 63,834
Don't know what's the hype but ZEX have decent reviews on youtube and I also read some reviews on aliexpress and some say it sound better than ZSX & ZAX, and ZEX sound like $150-200 IEMs.
The ZEX are good for what they are, but they definitely do not sound like $150-200 IEMs. (source: has a $150-200 IEM)

Edit: That statement is perhaps somewhat unqualified, so let me clarify what I mean:

Test track: メビウス (Mebius) - めいちゃん, CD rip, ALAC
Setup: iPhone 12 -> Earmen Eagle, volume matched by ear

ZEX (purchased for USD 22)

Bass notes sound somewhat diffuse
Instruments and vocals are in the same plane in terms of depth, although there is *some* width
Vocals sound a tad flat and one dimensional, there's not enough resolution
Cymbals lack snap, are a bit vague

A4000 (purchased for USD 163)

Bass is less in quantity but sounds tighter, faster, kicks harder
Male vocals have depth, subtle details, bloom, forward presentation
Layered soundstage, each instrument occupies a different front-to-back position in addition to width
Cymbals are crashing, shimmering, sharp attack and decay

So... well... the ZEX are fine for the price. I intend to convert mine into budget TWS IEMs for exercising with. But even the Aria sound better if you're really paying attention.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #56,886 of 63,834
The KZ ZEX is about $20. It is extremely listenable. Will you think 'I wish I wasn't listening to these'...…I doubt it. You will find it easy to get lost in the music listening through the KZ ZEX. There is always something better in our earphone hobby, but if an earphone allows you to lose yourselves in the music, it is good. The KZ ZEX does that for about $20. There are better IEMs, but I doubt if you will be wishing you were listening to something else. For $20, the ZEX is amazing.

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #56,889 of 63,834
Wow thats the first tribrid IEM KZ ever make.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #56,891 of 63,834
Tripowin Mele or Moondrop Aria. If you can stretch your budget to $200, the 7Hz Timeless is tough to beat.
I continually get recommended all 3. Perhaps there's room for all of them on this upcoming 11.11 sale.

I'm really just trying to avoid the bass bloom. Which took me by surprise. Perhaps I prefer more mids forward I dunno.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #56,892 of 63,834
I continually get recommended all 3. Perhaps there's room for all of them on this upcoming 11.11 sale.

I'm really just trying to avoid the bass bloom. Which took me by surprise. Perhaps I prefer more mids forward I dunno.
The 7hz requires a source investment tho because is a planar driver. Still manageable if your budget is $300+ USD I guess. If I had a Global North budget, I would do the same (its easier to sell the ones you shelf there too)

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #56,893 of 63,834
The 7hz requires a source investment tho because is a planar driver. Still manageable if your budget is $300+ USD I guess. If I had a Global North budget, I would do the same (its easier to sell the ones you shelf there too)
Not true. It does scale well with better amping, but even pairing it with my BT20s pro, it has enough power and volume. The difference is the bass actually get a bit flatter, less punchy and not as fully bodied. The tonality and timbre are hard to beat.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #56,894 of 63,834
Not true. It does scale well with better amping, but even pairing it with my BT20s pro, it has enough power and volume. The difference is the bass actually get a bit flatter, less punchy and not as fully bodied. The tonality and timbre are hard to beat.
I guess I should say I have an Objective2/ODAC when at a desktop, but I'd be driving these mostly on my LG smartphone.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #56,895 of 63,834
I guess I should say I have an Objective2/ODAC when at a desktop, but I'd be driving these mostly on my LG smartphone.
The one with quad DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back