Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #5,658 of 63,884
Good, maybe their isolation might prove sufficient for commuting then. The ATE do not isolate well enough for that, especially since they need airy silicone. I had some Vsonic foamies lying around and they sound really awful with them.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,660 of 63,884
cool.gif
Nice review Twister. You hear basically what I'm hearing out of the ED10s. I wish I had your descriptive powers. What changes with burn in hours, is that the Bass tightens up more, the  Sub / Mid. bleed all but disappears, and the High Mids become a little more pronounced, especially female Vocals. Yep. I'm guessing the pair you reviewed didn't have 200 hours on them. 
biggrin.gif
  SO FAR to date, these have rapidly become my faves. Of course I like almost all of the KZ 'phones anyways. Your experience may vary.

They are SO comfortable and easy to fit. BTW: I wear them down, if the Cable is entering the housing towards the front, It's oriented properly L/R.

I now have about 250 hours on them and I notice no more change, but of course I'm listening to them much more than every 50 Hours.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,661 of 63,884
I would go as far as even saying that out of all 4, ED10 has the most comfortable fitment for my ears.  With Foam tips, they will help with isolation, but at the expense of rolling off more high frequencies and making bass heavier.  If KZ ever going to make a hybrid design (I assume they don't have one yet, right?), that's going to be one killer budget IEMs.

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5,662 of 63,884
I would go as far as even saying that out of all 4, ED10 has the most comfortable fitment for my ears.  With Foam tips, they will help with isolation, but at the expense of rolling off more high frequencies and making bass heavier.  If KZ ever going to make a hybrid design (I assume they don't have one yet, right?), that's going to be one killer budget IEMs.

I'm not sure if you have any UE mushroom shaped foam tips handy, but if so try those out. Vs. Complys they really don't change the sound much. Maybe that's due to the wide bore and less porous material?

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #5,663 of 63,884

I'm not sure if you have any UE mushroom shaped foam tips handy, but if so try those out. Vs. Complys they really don't change the sound much. Maybe that's due to the wide bore and less porous material?

Yeah, in my reference to foamies I meant Complys.  I need to look into my UE600 to see if it comes with any foam tips.  In general, I prefer silicone wide bore :wink:

Aug 10, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #5,664 of 63,884
Yeah, in my reference to foamies I meant Complys.  I need to look into my UE600 to see if it comes with any foam tips.  In general, I prefer silicone wide bore :wink:

Your UE600 should definitely have come a pair of foamies. They're pretty good too :) I prefer wide bore silicones as well. The ancient Skullcandy tips I posted an image of them with last page make for an excellent pairing.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #5,665 of 63,884
cool.gif
I've never been able to get consistantly good results using Complys. I take great care in pushing them back and rolling them, and trying to place them in my ear canals exactly the same way each time, but one time they sound great, the next like crap and muffled. I just don't have the knack. It's easier to use Silicones and hybrids and get the placement right every time.

JMHO

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Aug 10, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #5,666 of 63,884

cool.gif
Nice review Twister. You hear basically what I'm hearing out of the ED10s. I wish I had your descriptive powers. What changes with burn in hours, is that the Bass tightens up more, the  Sub / Mid. bleed all but disappears, and the High Mids become a little more pronounced, especially female Vocals. Yep. I'm guessing the pair you reviewed didn't have 200 hours on them. 
biggrin.gif
  SO FAR to date, these have rapidly become my faves. Of course I like almost all of the KZ 'phones anyways. Your experience may vary.

They are SO comfortable and easy to fit. BTW: I wear them down, if the Cable is entering the housing towards the front, It's oriented properly L/R.

I now have about 250 hours on them and I notice no more change, but of course I'm listening to them much more than every 50 Hours.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

+1 
etysmile.gif

Aug 10, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #5,667 of 63,884
Guys, when I listen to my ED9s using the brass filters—and, so far as I can tell, only the brass filters—one ear feels sealed much more completely than the other. I think I have a vent blocked on one side because I definitely hear remarkably more bass coming from my left channel than my right (the one that feels more open, lacking any kind of isolation). I've heard recently that this is an issue common to KZ IEMs and I searched this thread for a bit but most or all of the discussion related to the ATE and other models I don't own.

Can anyone link me to or walk me through the steps I need to take to fix this myself? Or am I better off petitioning my Amazon seller for a warrantied return? Thanks in advance.

Aug 10, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #5,668 of 63,884
I received the DT5 today and I think it's the best KZ model that I own. The other two being the GR and ED9.

It's the second best duo driver iem among six that I own. The four behind it are all more expensive. The one it's behind,Core Cool V2, beats only one with better bass.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #5,669 of 63,884
Here's my collection so far... all are good some are great! Kz Micro Ring & EDSE on the way.

Aug 10, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #5,670 of 63,884
Tried the brass barrels closed with/without sponge all day yesterday.
I just don't get that rich tonality with the brass barrels that I get with the gold ones when the mastering on FLAC is spot-on,nor are they v-shaped in my set-up....maybe out a cheaper phone,yes ...going in that direction.
Either found the brass barrels ragged in upper-end or sterile with my set-up.
When the gold ones are powered correctly, they sound superb (for the money).

Looking forward to get the ED10s for exercise. Thanks for the tips/advice everyone. Earphones now sorted after a long break from earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back