Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #48,991 of 63,936
2019 was really different than 2018.

In 2018, they released earphones every 3-4 weeks.

In 2019, there were (I think) 4 total?

I’m glad they slowed down though. Look at how much better the 2019 releases were - ZS10 Pro, ZSX, C12, etc.

I’d much rather have quality than quantity.

We should be getting the C18 at some point soon (or whatever they’re going to call it). I am honestly surprised they didn’t have it out for 11.11. They teased it over a year ago (maybe even 18 months ago).

Myself, I would love to see a follow up to the ZS7. The ZS8 ohhh yeaaahhh (said in a Macho Man Randy Savage voice lol)

Man, I was just enjoying the original ZS1 v1 (brass ring) last night. How far things have come!! It still holds up though, like good vinyl on a vintage hifi setup. I’ve been wanting to do an mmcx conversion on it, but I’m very hesitant. It’s too rare and too good to risk screwing up.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #48,992 of 63,936
2019 was really different than 2018.

In 2018, they released earphones every 3-4 weeks.

In 2019, there were (I think) 4 total?

I’m glad they slowed down though. Look at how much better the most released were - ZS10 Pro, ZSX, C12, etc.

I’d rather have quality than quantity.

We should be getting the C18 at some point soon (or whatever they’re going to call it). I am honestly surprised they didn’t have it out for 11.11. They teased it over a year ago (maybe even 18 months ago).

Myself, I would love to see a follow up to the ZS7. The ZS8!

Man, I was just enjoying the original ZS1 v1 (brass ring) last night. How far things have come!! It still holds up though, like good vinyl on a vintage hifi setup. I’ve been wanting to do an mmcx conversion on it, but I’m very hesitant. It’s too rare and too good to risk screwing up.
Listening largely to C16 an C12, I sadly miss C18 all this time :frowning2:
Ordered NX7 pro out of the sadness, no high expectations though.

Dec 7, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #48,994 of 63,936
@Slater
Ref : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-3262#post-15321087

I got a friend who has a multi-meter to attach MMCX connectors to the KZ Type-C DAC cable (Para-A). The cable was cut to attach the MMCX connectors btw. He faced some problems like : the inner (metal) core of the cable seemed to be covered with some kind of nylon (?) sheath so it was difficult to solder (he then actually burned off the sheath). Also the live cable seemed to be different from the ground : live was golden/brass while the ground was silver.

I was wondering if you could please write a small guide / provide tips for such projects. Especially for soldering such tiny components.

MMCX_DT6.jpg

I used the original **** MMCX cable (I have a better MMCX cable). If I like the **** + KZ Type-C combo I'll buy MMCX connectors and attach them to the Type-C cable.

Dec 7, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #48,995 of 63,936
I have KZ ES4, ZSN and ZSN pro

KZ ES4 reacts to Harman eq curve (auto-eq github) the best.

And KZ ES4 sounds technically better than ZSN and ZSN pro(yes...the ZSN pro is the worst sounding to my ear)

ES4 doesnt hiss, keeps a stable image and is not over the top loud.

ZSN bass decay collapses the whole stage for weird letterbox type of sound stage

And this becomes too extreme on ZSN pro.

Since ZSN and ES4 measured the same...I tried the EQ(Harman curve)
And ZSN sounded nice...but bass decays a lot more and the decay feels artificial

Made the ZSN pro curve myself by taking a comparison between ZS10pro and ZSN pro and then editing the ZS10pro Harman target file to ZSN pro

ZSN pro improved a lot...

But that bad hissing is still there... And I have tried 4 pairs of ZSN pro (friends got it) to confirm the hiss...and the hiss exist.

Ok review

ZSN pro volume down > ZSN > ES4

After EQ

ES4>>>>> ZSN > ZSN pro

Dec 7, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #48,996 of 63,936
Happily reporting:
KZ AS12 - the insight of Master @Slater for a possibility in removing treble filters.

Worked really well for AS12 for me!
Previously I did it for CCA C16, which resulted in definite positive changes - bringing more life to the treble.

For AS12 it was more startling.
I almost put AS12 aside, for me the timbre felt quite a bit distorted. Muffled treble, some unnaturalness, especially in orchestral brass.

With the filters removed, AS12 are so much more enjoyable for me! So much more natural! The treble got hotter, but I feel it is much closer approximation for me how I hear the live music that can often get a bit harsh, but more lively.

AS12 saved for me, thank you!

Now, I am looking forward to compare AS12, C12 and C16 with NX7 pro for the king of budget ChiFi to my ears :)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #48,997 of 63,936
Were green ZS6 discontinued 2017-2018? Lurking around, it seems like there's a ZS6v2 now. If a green is for sale, is it a v1? Need to re-up on my favorite IEM

Dec 8, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #48,998 of 63,936
I have KZ ES4, ZSN and ZSN pro

KZ ES4 reacts to Harman eq curve (auto-eq github) the best.

And KZ ES4 sounds technically better than ZSN and ZSN pro(yes...the ZSN pro is the worst sounding to my ear)

ES4 doesnt hiss, keeps a stable image and is not over the top loud.

ZSN bass decay collapses the whole stage for weird letterbox type of sound stage

And this becomes too extreme on ZSN pro.

Since ZSN and ES4 measured the same...I tried the EQ(Harman curve)
And ZSN sounded nice...but bass decays a lot more and the decay feels artificial

Made the ZSN pro curve myself by taking a comparison between ZS10pro and ZSN pro and then editing the ZS10pro Harman target file to ZSN pro

ZSN pro improved a lot...

But that bad hissing is still there... And I have tried 4 pairs of ZSN pro (friends got it) to confirm the hiss...and the hiss exist.

Ok review

ZSN pro volume down > ZSN > ES4

After EQ

ES4>>>>> ZSN > ZSN pro
KZ ZSN pro.png

the black line doesnt follow the proper response...
because the dip in 3kHz cannot be compensated properly, so i modified the response

i have added the eq file
in txt

Attachments

• KZ ZSN pro FixedBandEQ.txt
    469 bytes · Views: 0
  • KZ ZSN pro GraphicEQ.txt
    767 bytes · Views: 0
  • KZ ZSN pro ParametricEQ.txt
    476 bytes · Views: 0
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #49,000 of 63,936
I bought a green ZS6 a few months back and it sounded like the treble was toned way down, I don't think all greens are v1 or if there are any v1s for sale now unfortunately

All the colors have been toned down.

Unfortunately, that’s what all of the complaining got us. KZ quietly retuned the ZS6, and they sucked all of the life out of it in the process. It’s boring and generic sounding, with very little treble presence. The result sounds dark and distant, but I understand why they did it.

I much prefer the ZS6 v1, just like I prefer the ZS5 v1 (which everyone also complained about at the time, but eventually came to regret it after KZ retuned it).

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #49,001 of 63,936

Unfortunately, that’s what all of the complaining got us. KZ quietly retuned the ZS6, and they sucked all of the life out of it in the process. It’s boring and generic sounding, with very little treble presence. The result sounds dark and distant, but I understand why they did it.

I much prefer the ZS6 v1, just like I prefer the ZS5 v1 (which everyone also complained about at the time, but eventually came to regret it after KZ retuned it).
Did you investigate whether dampening filters were used or BAs were retuned?

Dec 8, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #49,002 of 63,936
Did you investigate whether dampening filters were used or BAs were retuned?

No filters that I could see.

My guess is they used different BA drivers in place of the 30095. And possibly they tweaked the crossover to dampen the upper treble frequencies.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #49,003 of 63,936
What's up with KZ? They haven't released anything new in ages(for them). :)

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #49,005 of 63,936

RIP to the ZS6v1 then :/ The 2-pin connector on my left IEM is loose, so I was hoping to get a back up. So difficult to find them after-market, tho.

Time to look into a new IEM 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back