Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 23, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4,771 of 63,964
I have tried the brass tips of the ED9, but I can't get a good sound out of it, it sounded so thin and lifeless, even though I have changed the tips from stock to comply. I went back to the gold tips and removed the grills and foam, now it became a lot better.

D6503

Something is either wrong or you aren't getting a proper seal. The ED9 IS Bright BUT it is anything but thin. It has ample, (bordering on too much), Bass.

Personally, I'm getting the Best sound from Auvio Medium Tips available from Radio Shack. These are similar to a Sony Hybrid only heavier / softer Material and a VERY Wide Bore. I tried the Larges but they were uncomfortable after a while with the deep insertion of the ED9's. Went down a size and all is well. Using the Brass nozzles.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #4,773 of 63,964
Holy ****! The ANV is AWESOME!!! I'm going to get Sony hybrids for them. Good SQ. Feels like I don't have anything in my ears. Better isolation than expected. And outstanding build quality (though, can be deceiving if the drivers are prone to fail). ****, I only paid $8 for it and it came with one of those nice little black cases.

Jun 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #4,774 of 63,964
You can wear them over-ear also if You open the case and turn to right needed angle. It opens up easily, it is glued with soft gooey reddish glue and it will stick nicely when put back together. 
They ARE heavy though, which can cause issues to some. You should feel my woodie ANV - thats what I would call "nothing in my ears" ;D

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #4,776 of 63,964
  ED10 for $13 from aliexpress! http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-original-KZ-ED10-in-ear-headphones-fever-wire-balance-HIFI-bass-for-mp3-mp4/32377244418.html :D

I ordered my ED9 from that seller, and when it broke after a couple of days they refused to do anything about it. Basically, they said "buy another earphone, and we'll send you a working pair of the earphone you already bought". They straight out refused to discuss refund etc. I might have just had bad luck with this seller, but just a caution that if you receive a faulty item, you're probably screwed.

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #4,777 of 63,964
  ED10 for $13 from aliexpress! http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-original-KZ-ED10-in-ear-headphones-fever-wire-balance-HIFI-bass-for-mp3-mp4/32377244418.html :D

Nice find! So tempting at that price... 

Already got the KZ ATE and pretty happy with it except for the cable. A bit too rubbery for my liking and the mic cable doesn't play with my phone well. Doesn't have an issue with my PC or DAC but randomly stops and starts playing music on my phone. 

The reviews here of the ED9 really tempt me to buy it to replace my Xiaomi Pistons 2 but I want something with more isolation that is relatively small. These look bigger and their open back design looks like isolation will be worse. The sound signature sounds awesome though as I've always favoured brighter sound signatures over darker, boomy bass signatures. 

I wonder what the ED10 will sound like. I can spare £9 for these but I don't want to end up with too many IEMs again! Especially budget ones as I have no idea what to do with them as the postage for reselling them ends up more than the IEM itself and I hate having things that I don't use lying around. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #4,778 of 63,964
smily_headphones1.gif
Just rc'vd the HA-FX3X from my seller on Ali express. SURPRISE!! They are not copies they are the genuine JVC Article. Bad news is:  they are fairly MEH in tone. Not bad, not good, just a nondescript slightly veiled sound with a decent amount of Bass and a narrow soundstage. Maybe they will get better with Burn in.

BETTER NEWS:  Just tried my EDSE with 200 Hours burn in on them. The last time I heard them was @40 Hours when I took them on an extended listen on my 10 Hour nightly delivery run to Cincinnati.

WOW HAVE THEY CHANGED!!!!! The Bass is Tightened up, not the slightest bit muddy, and the Sibilance prominent in the treble and even extending to female Vocal Mids is GONE. They absolutely destroyed the FX3X I just got, so I just A/B'd them against the ED9's. I may prefer the SE Better. The bass has filled out nicely like I said earlier, they seem to be more controlled and detailed, and that spikey Treble is gone. I know they won't be as Fatiguing as the Brighter ED9 for long term Listening.

I am PLEASANTLY Surprised to say the least.....

So Far, (with the Exception of the ATE), all of the KZs have "Bloomed" with at least 200 Hours burn in on them.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4,779 of 63,964
  I ordered my ED9 from that seller, and when it broke after a couple of days they refused to do anything about it. Basically, they said "buy another earphone, and we'll send you a working pair of the earphone you already bought". They straight out refused to discuss refund etc. I might have just had bad luck with this seller, but just a caution that if you receive a faulty item, you're probably screwed.

Damn that's disheartening. Thanks for telling us!

Nice find! So tempting at that price... 

Already got the KZ ATE and pretty happy with it except for the cable. A bit too rubbery for my liking and the mic cable doesn't play with my phone well. Doesn't have an issue with my PC or DAC but randomly stops and starts playing music on my phone. 

The reviews here of the ED9 really tempt me to buy it to replace my Xiaomi Pistons 2 but I want something with more isolation that is relatively small. These look bigger and their open back design looks like isolation will be worse. The sound signature sounds awesome though as I've always favoured brighter sound signatures over darker, boomy bass signatures. 

I wonder what the ED10 will sound like. I can spare £9 for these but I don't want to end up with too many IEMs again! Especially budget ones as I have no idea what to do with them as the postage for reselling them ends up more than the IEM itself and I hate having things that I don't use lying around. 

lol yeah I can understand the last line, although the $10-20 range in iem world are pretty awesome right now (if you know what to look, like with KZ). :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:44 PM Post #4,781 of 63,964
:) Just rc'vd the HA-FX3X from my seller on Ali express. SURPRISE!! They are not copies they are the genuine JVC Article. Bad news is:  they are fairly MEH in tone. Not bad, not good, just a nondescript slightly veiled sound with a decent amount of Bass and a narrow soundstage. Maybe they will get better with Burn in.

Hmm....I definitely question if those are the genuine article. The FX3X should not sound even slightly vieled. If they're genuine burn in should help. Those Carbon Nanotube drivers usually require a good chunk of playtime.

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #4,782 of 63,964
Hmm....I definitely question if those are the genuine article. The FX3X should not sound even slightly vieled. If they're genuine burn in should help. Those Carbon Nanotube drivers usually require a good chunk of playtime.

smily_headphones1.gif
Scrambler these appear to be real. The ones I ordered in the pics don't have the XX on the Back of the Driver, the Case or the winder for shortening the lead length. the Ones I have do, Plus they are in JVC Sealed Packaging with JVC  all over. As Far as veiled....well maybe the last thing I listened to was the EDSE before I wrote the description, and my view was a bit skewed. Let me get a Few hours on them I will be able to tell. If These are fakes they are one of the best I've seen. Skew numbers match up, even say JVCKenwood Corporation Yokohama, Japan. Packaging looks identical to Genuines on Ebay. It makes no sense. I bought them EXPECTING Copies. Why send Real, or make an EXACT copy of an Earphone you can buy for $20 on Ebay? I can understand forging IE80 or 800 Senns. Here's pics of the Seller version which are obvious copies. Mine are different.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6711309726.html?orderId=67618569047927

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #4,783 of 63,964

smily_headphones1.gif
Scrambler these appear to be real. The ones I ordered in the pics don't have the XX on the Back of the Driver, the Case or the winder for shortening the lead length. the Ones I have do, Plus they are in JVC Sealed Packaging with JVC  all over. As Far as veiled....well maybe the last thing I listened to was the EDSE before I wrote the description, and my view was a bit skewed. Let me get a Few hours on them I will be able to tell. If These are fakes they are one of the best I've seen. Skew numbers match up, even say JVCKenwood Corporation Yokohama, Japan. Packaging looks identical to Genuines on Ebay. It makes no sense. I bought them EXPECTING Copies. Why send Real, or make an EXACT copy of an Earphone you can buy for $20 on Ebay? I can understand forging IE80 or 800 Senns. Here's pics of the Seller version which are obvious copies. Mine are different.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6711309726.html?orderId=67618569047927

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

That is a bizarre turn of events, lol. The ones in the pics are either fakes, or they had a nail file kicking about and were getting bored. I'm betting on option 1 :D. I know they make some quality fakes though, and sure hope you got real ones. It can be tough to tell.

I ordered a pair of 'genuine' Yamaha EPH100s off Aliexpress, which is notorious for fakes. They haven't arrived yet, and I'm not expecting them to be real. Shall find out soon...

Glad you're liking the EDse. Best cable of the KZ bunch imo.

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #4,784 of 63,964
Slightly off topic, but how is the quality of the fakes these days? I remember years ago, when I was really new to earphones (and aliexpress..) I ordered some Senn copies, might have been IE8, and they were just about the worst sounding earphones I've ever heard. I mean, I had almost no reference points, but even I could hear that they were pure crap. Since they're improving everything else, how is the quality of, say, IE80/IE800 fakes nowadays?

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #4,785 of 63,964

That is a bizarre turn of events, lol. The ones in the pics are either fakes, or they had a nail file kicking about and were getting bored. I'm betting on option 1 :D. I know they make some quality fakes though, and sure hope you got real ones. It can be tough to tell.

I ordered a pair of 'genuine' Yamaha EPH100s off Aliexpress, which is notorious for fakes. They haven't arrived yet, and I'm not expecting them to be real. Shall find out soon...

Glad you're liking the EDse. Best cable of the KZ bunch imo.

smily_headphones1.gif
tell you what you can do for the cables, a little baby powder in the palm of your hand and run it up and down the cable. Gets rid of the "Stickies" Also some Pure Silicone Lubricant  for use on the Tread on a Treadmill---same thing.  Then wipe excess off with a cloth. Just make sure it's PURE - no Petroleum products.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back