Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #41,641 of 63,916
I meant was it special like ZS5 (V1) or something. I'll pass..thanks dude!!

Nah. I think from a collectible standpoint, it’s kind of cool that they were the ED16 model, despite saying “ZS7” right on them. Especially, when there is now a real ZS7, that’s totally different (and the true successor to the ZS6).

But other than the sheer novelty of that little nomenclature flubb up, the current ZS7 (or even ZSN) is a much better IEM.

Be aware that I don’t have the ZS10, AS06, AS10, BA10, or any of the CCA models. So it’s possible that 1 of those are better. But I am extremely impressed and totally happy with the ZS7 (for the genres I listen to).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #41,642 of 63,916
Another spinfit saves the day story as my pita BA10s now fit snuggly in my ears and sound neato too!

The BA10 is really extremely fun to listen to!

Definitely agree!

My BA10 has steadily grown on me since my initial review. I originally gave them 4.25 stars but I think I should raise it to 4.50 stars (still taking half a star off for ergonomics for the general population but mine are very comfortable).

Coming from the ZS6 I surely needed to adjust to the BA10's warmer presentation but I discovered that the main reason an adjustment was necessary for me in the first place was because during my review period I coupled the BA10 (highly detailed with a relatively warm sound signature) with my Fiio X3 (0.3Ω) which also leans towards a warm and smooth presentation (Wolfson WM8740 DAC). The end result is plenty of detail but VERY laid back.

Recently, I've paired the BA10 with my Cowon Plenue (0.5Ω) and the end result is a more engaging presentation. The BA10 is quickly becoming the set I pick up more and more. The BA10 was occasionally "peaky" with my smartphone and laid back on the Fiio but they're near perfect with the Cowon Plenue.....can't put 'em down. The only thing that my ZS6 has over the BA10 is soundstage DEPTH and treble extension but the BA10 has the ZS6 dead-to-rights on bass definition and midrange delivery. Can't pick a favorite between the two.

In short, the ZS6 is the "V" signature champ for me while the BA10 is the "balanced" signature champ. The BQEYZ KC2 ($50+/-) is a fantastic balanced signature but the BA10 ($70+/-) affords a similar sound signature that brings more gravitas to the low end when it's called for. You never feel like reaching for the EQ because the BA10 delivers the goods when the song/track requires low end delivery, regardless of genre.

That's ironic because the BQEYZ has a fine dynamic driver for the low end but the BA10's balanced armature dishes out a cleaner, deeper presentation.

The BA10 bass reproduction is top notch for a balanced armature.

TOP NOTCH!

The C16 has two of the BA10's low end balanced armatures per side so I am curious about the low end definition.

Anyway...

No bloat.
No BS.
Low end delivery is clean and nimble enough for metal, classical and EDM.

Truthfully, I grimaced when KZ jumped from the $20 bracket (ZST) to the $50 bracket (ZS6) but I adore the ZS6. I grimaced again when they jumped from $50 (ZS6) to $85 (BA10) but I love the BA10 equally. I don't think I'll be able to resist the C16 @ $100.

By the way, if you want to enjoy your BA10 trouble free then order these silicone earhooks to keep them in place. Not all ear hooks are equal but I can vouch that these ear hooks grip the cable better than most so you don't need to constantly adjust and readjust. Your BA10 should stay firmly in place with these and a grippy eartip.

https://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Remov...Mwebp_QL65&keywords=cosmo+silicone+ear+hooks#

61kwdL-N-fL._AC_SY400_.jpg

41rXVBEJaWL._AC_SY400_.jpg

418Ntw5XMcL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #41,643 of 63,916
Awesome idea about the hooks! Thanks!!

Doc awhile back, before purchase of C16, I posted about how the BA10 really nailed it with low end equaling a dynamic to me. I went on to say my hope was that they’d keep it up with any other all BA configuration they had coming. Sorry to say Doc but your probably going to want them, both, as its the same or better with the C16s and the “on call” nature so to speak like the BA10.

C10 and C16 have no flaws that I can find...honestly its put CCA permanently on my list of awesome offerings, TRN is another, thats why I asked the question about a totl iem priced very high....etc....

Feb 8, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #41,644 of 63,916
Does anyone here have the KZ Apple lightning SPC upgrade cable?

They’re now available not only in 0.75mm 2-pin, but also mmcx and even ZSN-style connectors.

All for $11.

I was thinking about getting one. But I do realize that an alternative would be to use the genuine Apple dongle adapter with a regular 3.5mm cable. I’m not sure if there would be a sound difference between the genuine Apple dongle and the KZ lightning version.

Or, I could just forget the lighting business, and keep using my 3.5mm jack (as I have an iPhone SE; the last iPhone with the audio jack).

Opinions, thoughts?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #41,645 of 63,916
Awesome idea about the hooks! Thanks!!

Doc awhile back, before purchase of C16, I posted about how the BA10 really nailed it with low end equaling a dynamic to me. I went on to say my hope was that they’d keep it up with any other all BA configuration they had coming. Sorry to say Doc but your probably going to want them, both, as its the same or better with the C16s and the “on call” nature so to speak like the BA10.

C10 and C16 have no flaws that I can find...honestly its put CCA permanently on my list of awesome offerings, TRN is another, thats why I asked the question about a totl iem priced very high....etc....

its like Toyota compared to BMW. everything is good, but once you drive a BMW, you can feel it smoothness, small micro details.

From value standpoint? of course chifi has much more value point
but For serious audiophiles, with decent budgets, they just want to take the best, put a side the price tags.

why do they cost so expensive? experiments, components (like CCA C16 has 8 drivers, but it is cheap self developed BAs), TOTL iems use knowles at least. or their own BAs like in Sony M9.
Developing components also not cheap, R&D department needs huge injection sum of money. Before they come out of warehouse, good quality control also needed for that branded ones.

Once i said, $10-50 increment in chifi can be very different results, but once you at $1000 and up TOTL, just a slight different mature sounds, or a bit perfection can cost hundreds of dollars.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #41,646 of 63,916
I know, that's what I wrote in my post, too, but the narrow ones I have are harder than the wider ones and hurt my ears as a result. So I thought I have no choice but to think about an adhesive, but if you know better narrow tips, then, please, do share, I'd be happy to not get my fingers sticky. Ears even more so.

Hey friend, I found my narrow bore triple flange tips.

They’re black, and soft silicone (not hard). I’d say they are about as soft as the new black KZ Starlines (not thinner, which makes them even softer and more compliant).

I definitely got them from Aliexpress, but I have no idea what seller.

If you search for “triple flange silicone”, you’ll see all of the different options. My baggie only had 3 pairs (ie 6pcs), and I see only a handful of sellers that sell 6pcs of black narrow bore triple flange tips. It has to be one of those sellers. I remember them being stupid cheap (like $2 tops).

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I normally hate triple flange tips, so I only have a few pairs of them. I have to cut off the top flange to even be able to use them.

Good luck!

Feb 9, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #41,647 of 63,916
As I announced, I did compare the zs7 and as10 in their on-stage-monitoring performance (at least in our rehearsal room). We use quite top-notch personal mixers (Allen&Heath me1), so DAC quality is not an issue.

And I LOVE the AS10. Even more than while 'just' listening to recordings. We play rock / singer-songwriter music and the audible details using the as10 are astonishing. The zs7 never reached this level of detail, though having more punch in the sub bass area (which is really not important for on-stage-monitoring).

Good thing is, that I bought both over German Amazon prime, so it was no problem to return the zs7 after having carried out the subjective comparison :).

The 5ba are amazing (probably same thing with zs ba10, but I don't like their design, especially on stage). They supposedly can just be beaten by the c16, which are tempting for me but I experienced such an increase in quality already that I can probably stand the temptation. Especially considering the prices (50€ for as10 delivered from Germany, 85€ for c16 delivered from china).

If somebody has any questions about on-stage usage of the as10, feel free to ask :).

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:01 AM Post #41,648 of 63,916
As I announced, I did compare the zs7 and as10 in their on-stage-monitoring performance (at least in our rehearsal room). We use quite top-notch personal mixers (Allen&Heath me1), so DAC quality is not an issue.

And I LOVE the AS10. Even more than while 'just' listening to recordings. We play rock / singer-songwriter music and the audible details using the as10 are astonishing. The zs7 never reached this level of detail, though having more punch in the sub bass area (which is really not important for on-stage-monitoring).

Good thing is, that I bought both over German Amazon prime, so it was no problem to return the zs7 after having carried out the subjective comparison :).

The 5ba are amazing (probably same thing with zs ba10, but I don't like their design, especially on stage). They supposedly can just be beaten by the c16, which are tempting for me but I experienced such an increase in quality already that I can probably stand the temptation. Especially considering the prices (50€ for as10 delivered from Germany, 85€ for c16 delivered from china).

If somebody has any questions about on-stage usage of the as10, feel free to ask :).
Hi, I was interested in the as10 but after seeing this I didn’t buy them.

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #41,649 of 63,916
Feb 9, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #41,650 of 63,916
Man, I haven’t heard this one in forever! Okay, here is one that I never heard, until the start of this decade! If you previously never heard of them, be glad it’s the weekend, because they made a bunch of albums!

Yes, I know them, their best track was "Wishful Thinking"

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #41,651 of 63,916
Hi, I was interested in the as10 but after seeing this I didn’t buy them.

There are different tastes, of course, but making such reviews is beyond ridiculous, in my opinion.
Especially "the recording".

My personal hard learned experience that listening "to the curves" and opinionated reviewers is the worst one can do in this hobby.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #41,652 of 63,916
There are different tastes, of course, but making such reviews is beyond ridiculous, in my opinion..
I once had a loud debate with a partially-deaf "audiophile" over his perfect power amplifier (I can't remember which) showing me pages of current, voltage, slew rate test charts from Stereophile to prove his point, because he can no longer clearly hear what was actually being played. On the internet, we are all completely deaf to what each other are hearing. So what hope do we have!?

True story
:)

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #41,653 of 63,916
Hi All. I’m getting caught up in the spiral of the big Chinese online store. I want to get some KZ ZS7 but I like to get a spare cable or two (I’m one of the unfortunate types who cause cables to stiffen over time - who knows what I’m made of! :D )

I’m looking for two pin upgrades and many vendors specify ‘ for KZ .... ‘ but some are 0.78mm and some 0.75mm.

Can anyone help me by confirming pin size for ZS7? I assumed it was 0.75mm but want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

Feb 9, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #41,654 of 63,916
Can anyone help me by confirming pin size for ZS7? I assumed it was 0.75mm but want to be 100% sure. Thanks in advance.
Yes, it is 0.75 mm. You could use any KZ cables with "a pin".

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #41,655 of 63,916
Going back in time to yet another model that has stopped receiving attention; ED16. They have a really well done sound stage. Been running them with liquid d'n'b tracks tonight and effects float all over the place. They really do feel like a colder, more balanced ZSR. Not a fan of the ergonomics but I know I'm in the minority there. Overall pretty good stuff :)

I love mine . The shell fits me perfectly. I had to get rid od the cable and am using the cable from my husband's ZSA. It has the angled connector that is smaller than the regular ones. I also had to use Spinfit tips...the first pair I used them on.

I meant was it special like ZS5 (V1) or something. I'll pass..thanks dude!!

I think they are special but I don't have a ZS5...neither version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back