Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #41,656 of 63,916
I love mine . The shell fits me perfectly. I had to get rid od the cable and am using the cable from my husband's ZSA. It has the angled connector that is smaller than the regular ones. I also had to use Spinfit tips...the first pair I used them on.

I think they are special but I don't have a ZS5...neither version.

I've been using the ZSA cable too. Went with Spintfits for a while but ended up swapping to some long bi-flange set instead. This is one of the few iems I've had to resort to that with. My ears really seem to dislike these vertical style housings :frowning2:

Feb 9, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #41,657 of 63,916
Hi, I was interested in the as10 but after seeing this I didn’t buy them.

Watched some of his other IEM reviews; seems he does not like anything that is not neutral. His reviews are heavily opinionated and he attacks others and other reviewers for liking what he doesn't like. His BGVP DMG "review" is especially atrocious.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #41,658 of 63,916
Watched some of his other IEM reviews; seems he does not like anything that is not neutral. His reviews are heavily opinionated and he attacks others and other reviewers for liking what he doesn't like. His BGVP DMG "review" is especially atrocious.

This is why I take reviews with a grain of salt. Opinions are like arseholes, everybody’s got one. No one knows your ears and your taste better than you.

Feb 9, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #41,659 of 63,916
Some questions to regular ZS4 users. Does anyone else have an upper glossy layer slowly peeling off of the casing? It's making the 'hybrid technology' text fade, too. I hope it doesn't slowly erode till there's a hole in the plastic or anything.
On a similar note, does grinding off the back panel text or dissolving the plastic to do so increase the sound leak noticeably? How thick the plastic is? Tried to colour it over with a marker, but it just rubs off after a few uses, so I'll have to use the more radical measures if there are no glaring side effects.

Secondly, I'm curious as to what EQ settings you use with ZS4, if any. Please share.
ccUDek8.png
Would have increased 5-9kHz range, not just 8kHz, if Poweramp had such fine gradation. Also, I'm still on the fence about 16kHz, might be too hot, but that's generally it.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #41,660 of 63,916
ok my zs7 just arrived and with 2 hours of burn in i can say:

*directly compared with my trn v80. A/B comparison:
the firs thing i noticed: NO sibilance on ZS7
about sibilance: is a lot more pronounced on v80. zs7 controls it A LOT better. both are very similar in terms of sharpness on treble.
about soundstage: i think v80 do it NOTICIABELY better but zs7 still good. this surprises me a lot. i think this confirms the v80 as a soundstage killer.
about bass: zs7 have more dynamic bass (more punchy and subbass extension in general) in the other hand, v80 bass is flat but more textured (better detail). Bass is more fun on zs7 but better detailed on v80.
about mids: very similar in both models. a little forward in upper mids in both models. In zs7 mids feels better, maybe because zs7 have better controled upper-mids (like treble in general)

also i have to say i do this comparison using zs7 stock cable and the v80 with a upgraded silver kz cable (because this one doesnt fit on kz zs7)

final apreciation about comparison: v80 still wins on soundstage and bass detail but i cant stand his sibilance. zs7 wins for me with fun bass and controled sibilance.

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #41,661 of 63,916
Some questions to regular ZS4 users. Does anyone else have an upper glossy layer slowly peeling off of the casing? It's making the 'hybrid technology' text fade, too. I hope it doesn't slowly erode till there's a hole in the plastic or anything.
On a similar note, does grinding off the back panel text or dissolving the plastic to do so increase the sound leak noticeably? How thick the plastic is? Tried to colour it over with a marker, but it just rubs off after a few uses, so I'll have to use the more radical measures if there are no glaring side effects.

Secondly, I'm curious as to what EQ settings you use with ZS4, if any. Please share.
ccUDek8.png
Would have increased 5-9kHz range, not just 8kHz, if Poweramp had such fine gradation. Also, I'm still on the fence about 16kHz, might be too hot, but that's generally it.

The ZS4 (and other models) has a clear lacquer coating. Similar to clear coat on your car’s paint, or a clear top coat on women’s fingernails.

It doesn’t hurt anything. In fact, I remove that text on many of my KZs.

Don’t worry, you won’t wear a hole through the plastic itself.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #41,662 of 63,916
Does anyone here have the KZ Apple lightning SPC upgrade cable?

They’re now available not only in 0.75mm 2-pin, but also mmcx and even ZSN-style connectors.

All for $11.

I was thinking about getting one. But I do realize that an alternative would be to use the genuine Apple dongle adapter with a regular 3.5mm cable. I’m not sure if there would be a sound difference between the genuine Apple dongle and the KZ lightning version.

Or, I could just forget the lighting business, and keep using my 3.5mm jack (as I have an iPhone SE; the last iPhone with the audio jack).

Opinions, thoughts?
I purchased one with MMCX connectors. I didn't notice a difference in sound quality, moreso just convenience of not having to worry about remembering the dongle or not. But ever since I purhcased the ES100, I haven't really touched it.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #41,663 of 63,916
I got a present from an old friend Alex who makes high end custom cables for the audiophile/hobbyist. They brought out a new IEM cable so he sent me one to add to my collection of his stuff which always blows me away.
I never knew cables could change the sound so much.....KZ ZS5 V1, CCA C10 & 16 all had marketly significant upgraded sound with the cable he sent me.

E421C4D3-355F-46E9-903B-A319AF1AD038.jpeg
I’d never have cash for these they are the highest of high end stuff so I wanted to say...Thanks Alex!!:ksc75smile:

Feb 9, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #41,664 of 63,916
I really hate when people say crap like this. It makes me want to buy stuff that I had not planned on. Now I want a C16. Like really really bad. Screw you man!

BTW been getting into Outrun music lately. Great for fans of the 80's videogames and action movies, and great driving/motorcycle music.

You will want these then, because the Clash remasters sounds great on these. :)

Feb 9, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #41,666 of 63,916
Has anyone played around with the different ZSN's and cables? I'm using the black's cable on the purple ZSN and it's definitely different. I think I still prefer the stock black ZSN over this combo. Something is different... but maybe things will seem better over time.

Feb 9, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #41,668 of 63,916
Has anyone played around with the different ZSN's and cables? I'm using the black's cable on the purple ZSN and it's definitely different. I think I still prefer the stock black ZSN over this combo. Something is different... but maybe things will seem better over time.

I do hear a slight difference in mine pairs. But they all sound good. So I haven’t worried about it too much.

It could be psychological, because I’m expecting to hear a difference.

Or it could be a real actual difference (caused for example by differences in cable impedance, the larger rear vent holes in the purple pair, or the fact that my black pair’s front vents are totally blocked off)

Or it could be normal manufacturing variations (such as this pair had a big more glue than that pair, this pair has a little better soldering than that pair, etc).

But again, it is a very minor difference and not enough to worry about.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #41,669 of 63,916
He likes neutral iems, just like me. So I think his opinion matters, but he is very critical about chi fi multi driver iems with extended highs. His recordings are maybe not totally correct, but it’s an indication of how the iems are sounding. In most cases I think he’s right, although the iems can easily be adjusted with some equalization or mods. It’s all about taste, but it’s hard for him to accept that people have different sound preferences.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #41,670 of 63,916
He likes neutral iems, just like me. So I think his opinion matters, but he is very critical about chi fi multi driver iems with extended highs. His recordings are maybe not totally correct, but it’s an indication of how the iems are sounding. In most cases I think he’s right, although the iems can easily be adjusted with some equalization or mods. It’s all about taste, but it’s hard for him to accept that people have different sound preferences.
It's one thing to be critical and not accepting other's sound preferences but it's another to outright call people idiots in a video review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back