Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 12, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #37,891 of 63,915
1clearhead describes the differences that he heard in the link I just provided above.

I was aware of that, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the post. After I sent the link I saw you did so 2min before me :p . Still, I might as well wait ordering the ZSN and see how others perceive the difference between cables, they wont be going anywhere

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #37,892 of 63,915
I was aware of that, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the post. After I send the link I saw you did so 2min before me :p . Still, I might as well wait ordering the ZSN and see how others perceive the difference between cables, they wont be going anywhere

I just mentioned that more for others that are reading this thread. Personally I think people should get the one they like the look of. If you don't like the look you might not use it as much. Aesthetics are an important part of the whole package for me.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #37,893 of 63,915
I just mentioned that more for others that are reading this thread. Personally I think people should get the one they like the look of. If you don't like the look you might not use it as much. Aesthetics are an important part of the whole package for me.

Good point, I thought your post was a direct reply to my question concerning sound difference. While I agree on aesthetics being important, sound is most important for me. Nevertheless, that would be more relevant in case I couldnt decide between two completely different models; in this case I would agree. Sound difference is probably neglible compared to the difference in appearance. Then again, might as well wait a week or so untill others have assessed the difference between cables :darthsmile:

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #37,895 of 63,915
i agree with mbwilson, which is generally good policy around here--aesthetics are critical for most folks, and i think on some visceral level we impute better sound to something that looks and feels better. i'm sure i overate certain pieces which are particularly well designed (the trn v80 comes to mind) and underrate others which look and feel more generic (ues900).

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #37,896 of 63,915
I got the black/cyan and love it. Went back during the sale and ordered the silver/purple for comparisons and backup. Then I thought damn. I'm gonna switch the silver and black backs and roll with black/purple. Silver/cyan.

Indirectly got the idea from Slater.

Yeah that was something I considered as well!! Care to send some pics of the cyan/silver? That combi sounds good

Nov 12, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #37,897 of 63,915
I got the black/cyan and love it. Went back during the sale and ordered the silver/purple for comparisons and backup. Then I thought damn. I'm gonna switch the silver and black backs and roll with black/purple. Silver/cyan.

Indirectly got the idea from Slater.

Haha, that’s actually my plan!

Purple with black cover and Black with silver cover.

I may mirror polish the silver cover. I’m not sure and will decide when it comes.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #37,898 of 63,915
i agree with mbwilson, which is generally good policy around here--aesthetics are critical for most folks, and i think on some visceral level we impute better sound to something that looks and feels better. i'm sure i overate certain pieces which are particularly well designed (the trn v80 comes to mind) and underrate others which look and feel more generic (ues900).

Perfect examples:

- The Timmkoo C631 turned a lot of people away due to the ‘bling’ gold housing (despite sounding awesome)
- The Timmkoo that looks all crazy with its metal hinge turned a lot of people off.
76261B14-1F59-46A3-9B27-36C55F7A459B.jpeg
- The KZ BA10 turned a lot of people off by its robot looking shape and Iron Man color scheme

There’s many others, but you get the point. All of those would probably had more people try them if they didn’t have such polarizing looks.

I know a HeadFier (with a very large collection) who doesn’t want to even try the KZ EDR1 because she is turned off by the looks.

So yeah, looks definitely play a part in how we perceive the products. Even though with audio products the sound is kind of more important (or at least should be).

I mean, I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing these even if they were literally the best sounding headphones in the world:
E9485F4A-4070-491C-8E72-1AA34C2973BF.jpeg

BTW, the above abomination costs $9k. And those are not real jewels but rather rhinestone costume jewelry-grade junk.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #37,899 of 63,915

Looks matter. One of my favorites, the c631 (Joyplus/Timmkoo/Estron) still makes me cringe when I put it on. But it sounds so good.... :)

images

Maybe I need to do the Slater Black Tape "aesthetic" mod :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #37,900 of 63,915
Looks matter. One of my favorites, the c631 (Joyplus/Timmkoo/Estron) still makes me cringe when I put it on. But it sounds so good.... :)

images

I was actually been thinking of removing my black tape and just painting my pair with black nail polish. It should go on easily, dry smooth, and be durable.

Nov 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #37,901 of 63,915

images

I was actually been thinking of removing my black tape and just painting my pair with black nail polish. It should go on easily, dry smooth, and be durable.
Maybe with some shiny nail appliques on top :thinking:
[
0cbb969f0c5373a6bb8fcf4e9527016e--amazing-art-nail-designer.jpg

Oops, this is the KZ thread. Better get back on topic...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #37,902 of 63,915
I know a HeadFier (with a very large collection) who doesn’t want to even try the KZ EDR1 because she is turned off by the looks.

LOL I wonder who that is.

I mean, I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing these even if they were literally the best sounding headphones in the world:

Awwww...you don't want to look like a princess?

Nov 12, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #37,903 of 63,915
having not heard the new zsn or the zs10/ba10 series, I've come to rank my kzs thusly:
1. ZSR—enveloping and engaging, with smoother highs and more forward mids than previous hybrids; these stress fun and energy over transparency and seamless coherence.

2A. ED16— better fitting than the similarly-tuned ZSR, with less oomph but better tamed bass.
2B. ED9 (gold filter)—other KZs have a bigger stage and/or more overall clarity, bit the ED9 has that indefinable naturalness

3. ED1R—rich and refined (more v-shaped that the ED2R), with very good clarity and coherence, especially through more powerful sources; stage is narrower than their pricier peers, but these are otherwise difficult to criticize.

3A. ZS5 (v.1)—giant stage and great extension at both ends, if not hyper-accurate or natural; need an amp to sound good
3B. zS6--easier to drive and better-fitting than the ZS5, but not as well tuned, with somewhat overdone, piercing treble

4. ZS4--much more detailed than the ZS3, esp. at the highend, tho inessential if you have the ZSR, etc.

5. HDS3—irrationally engaging—, energetic and surprisingly detailed, if inaccurate; low end can get unruly

6. ZS3—once you find the tips that tame its giant bass, these are the most party-hearty of the bunch; not much treble detail

7. ED10—rich and clear throughout the spectrum; could stand to be a bit more open and airy

7. ZST—much surpassed by the newer hybrids; lacks midrange presence though imaging/layering are excellent

8. ED2R—balanced and surprisingly refined for the price, with vg imaging and pretty good detail; only a slight highend graininess mars the presentation

9. EDSE—not hyper-detailed or extended, and midbass can overwhelm, but tons of fun

10. ED3c—these need a bit of midrange body, but are otherwise close in spirit to the ED9, with uncanny imaging

11. ATE—warmish and pretty good sounding, though lacking in high end extension and sparkle—the ZS3 do the same overall signature bigger and better

12. ZSE—slightly dark sounding and veiled; bass is tight and deep and mids are forward and rich, though high end lacks sizzle; much, much better when amped

13. ED7—unrefined bass/mids and poor isolation. high end is quite smooth yet detailed; still a decent listen

14. HDS2—not good

I think I have too many earphones....

Great post Loomis!

Here's my take:

1. ZS6 - better-fitting than the ZS5, better tuned with increased focus across the board.
(high definition but piercing treble for some)

2. ZSR—enveloping and engaging, with smoother highs and more forward mids than previous hybrids; these stress fun and energy over transparency and seamless coherence.

3. BA10 (nozzle foam removed) - Laid back with tons of detail (though micro-detail is tapered). Bass when it's called for and gone when it's not. Great with silicones at moderate volume levels but foam tips are mandatory at higher volumes. I find that they run smoother with a low output impedance source.

4. ZS5 (v1) - giant stage, very natural, great extension at both ends but gentle decay in lower frequencies keep them from being #2 on this list (require a low output impedance source and power to shine).

5. We have a tie!
ED10 - open, airy & energetic. rich & clear throughout the spectrum; only drawback is shallow depth.
EDR1 - rich and refined (more v-shaped than the ED2R), with very good clarity and coherence, especially through more powerful sources; stage is narrower than their pricier peers, but these are otherwise difficult to criticize.

6. HDS3 - can't put my finger on it but these just do it for me. "Irrationally engaging" is a good description. Holographic restrained energy! These are like the "honey chicken bowl at my local Japanese restaurant, sweet with the perfect amount of kick (spice).

7. We have a tie!
ED9 (gold filter with foam removed) - open, airy, natural and engaging. Dense but soft bass.
ED9 (brass filter with transplanted foam from the gold filter) - more balanced approach while retaining great clarity and that "indefinable naturalness".

8. ZST - much surpassed by the newer hybrids; lacks midrange presence though imaging/layering are excellent

9. ED3 "Perfection" - generally balanced and clean with a slight lift in the upper-treble (ZS6 sound signature via KZ's early single dynamic setup. Surreal for classical and baroque genres.

10. ZS3 - once you find the tips that tame its giant bass, these are the most party-hearty of the bunch; not much treble detail and they can be shouty with the foam mod.

11. We have a tie!
ATR(i) with ABS dynamic driver - Best all-rounder that KZ has released to date. Airy with great sense of timbre, nearly balanced, great at nothing but good at almost everything except upper-treble extension.
HDS1 - one of the few KZ's with a mid-centric (inverted "V") sound signature, not much sub-bass rumble or upper-treble but otherwise excellent.

12. ED3 "Acme" - these need a bit of midrange body, but are otherwise close in spirit to the ED9, with uncanny imaging

13. ED2R—balanced and surprisingly refined for the price, with vg imaging and pretty good detail; only a slight highend graininess mars the presentation

14. ED8 - A bassheads dream despite their heavy metal housings, good extension from sub-bass to lower-treble with a warm bent.

15. EDSE—not hyper-detailed or extended, and midbass can overwhelm, but tons of fun

16. We have a tie!
ED7 - deep bass with centered mids but a perfect seal is mandatory, smooth yet detailed high end. a decent listen but mostly used for a change of pace in my rotation.
ATE-S - slightly brighter than the ATE(ii) with faster and harder-hitting mid-bass.

17. ATE - warmish and decent sounding, though lacking in high end extension and sparkle—the ZS3 do the same overall signature bigger and better

18. HDS2—not good

Once we get past #7 on the list I could jostle some of the others into higher/lower positionings on any given Sunday depending on my mood. For example, I prefer the ED8 sound signature over the ZS3's but the ZS3 is top notch in comfort and isolation.
Haven't heard the ZS4 or ED16 yet, my ZSE is MIA.

*** EDIT ***

Completely forgot about the ZSA. I'd place it on equal footing with the HDS3, small comfortable and "Irrationally engaging". At some point I'll pick up an AS10, ZS10, ES4, ZS4, ZSN and ED16 but I'd be willing to bet that we'll see a new release or two just in time for black friday which is a couple of weeks away. I'm mostly looking forward to the ZS7 though.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #37,904 of 63,915

I may mirror polish the silver cover. I’m not sure and will decide when it comes.
Yes the good thing about switching to silver/cyan is that I think silver would be easier to paint over,

I will definitely give you credit for the brilliant idea. I want to kind of paint the silver one, just don't know yet. I'm thinking possibly Rasta colors. Hmm...

Nov 12, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #37,905 of 63,915
I've finally found tips that work well for me with the ZSA and wow these things really kick down low.

I'm using generic round foams from AliExpress and the fit is fantastic especially since they are so small.

I never hear people recommending these when people are asking for bass.. is it just because the treble can be a bit sibilant at times? I find it acceptable with the foams. The bass is off the charts for me when I compare to the ZS10

I loved the build of these when I first picked them up but never gave them much of a listen. Glad I've revisited them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back