Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #36,391 of 63,914
OK, I'm really impressed with KZ usb-c cable. It has a powerful DAC that can go up to 192. It is capable of making my zs5 v1 sing. A high resolution DAC for 9 USD?
If you have a usb-c Android smartphone, just go for it.

Sep 18, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #36,392 of 63,914
Link maybe?
But I doubt it shares power anywhere close to my DX5X paired with ZS5v1.

Sep 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #36,394 of 63,914
Am I missing the $9.99 BTE every day? I don't see it when I get into work, only $19.99.

Probably. Those super price reductions usually sell out within 10-20 seconds. I’ve been lucky and scored 1 or 2 in the last few years of trying. I think it was on a ZS5 for (I think) $11 or $12.

I think some people must use computer scripts to grab them, because no way a human can buy it check out in 10 seconds. So if you want to try and compete against a computer, you are going to have to be fast.

Anyways, you have to pay attention to the time. It is usually Beijing time (it will say), so you have to calculate what time that is for you. And you better be ready to add it to your cart and check out at that exact time if you even remotely want a chance.

It is possible though, and sure feels good when you are finally able to nab a killer deal!

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #36,395 of 63,914
I
OK, I'm really impressed with KZ usb-c cable. It has a powerful DAC that can go up to 192. It is capable of making my zs5 v1 sing. A high resolution DAC for 9 USD?
If you have a usb-c Android smartphone, just go for it.

wait wait wait what? the USB c cable is a dac??? I thought it was just another alternative to connect your headphones rather than the traditional 3.5mm method. So in essense a slight bump in audio quality but not a dac built into the usb-c cable. can anyone confirm? If that's the case i might consider one of those.

chi fi money pit.

Sep 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #36,396 of 63,914
I

wait wait wait what? the USB c cable is a dac??? I thought it was just another alternative to connect your headphones rather than the traditional 3.5mm method. So in essense a slight bump in audio quality but not a dac built into the usb-c cable. can anyone confirm? If that's the case i might consider one of those.

chi fi money pit.

Yes, every USB C to audio cable has a DAC chip, even the cheap no-name pigtail cables that cost $2 on Aliexpress. They all use different DAC chips though, which is probably the most important factor in determining the junk from the good stuff.

Who knows what chip KZ used though.

Sep 18, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #36,397 of 63,914
Yes, every USB C to audio cable has a DAC chip, even the cheap no-name pigtail cables that cost $2 on Aliexpress. They all use different DAC chips though, which is probably the most important factor in determining the junk from the good stuff.

I plugged it to my laptop yesterday and it listed something like "bravo" ... I don't remember, and I'm to lazy to power my laptop now.

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #36,398 of 63,914
Unfortunatey, ppl don`t use mirrors enough to observe traffic around them and don`t look ahead for possible dangerous situations.
I use IEMs while driving all the time and can`t really see difference with ppl turning their stereo system loud (also can`t hear much) but they still do drive (a LOT of ppl do that and even dancing/singing behind wheel!).
IMHO, it`s all about driving skills (mirrors,observing, proper speed etc.) and adequate behaviour behind wheel :wink:
Also, imho, most dangerous drivers are SMOKERS, SMARTPHONE & CONSOLE USERS!
With latter ones ppl lose contact/eyesight with traffic competely for seconds while I with my IEMs still have eyes 100% on the road/traffic/mirros with both hands on wheel!
Ps, I don`t change tracks, playlist etc. while driving - just put it on play before moving and stop when my car is parked and off.
Lol! I either use it or use my aftermarket stereo system in my car. Sometimes I just like to listen to my headphones even though I have a top notch system in my car. It's just about mood. I live in California, where itsi illegal, but it doesn't hurt me. That's why I use iems now and stopped wearing full-size headphones. A lot easier to not get caught. Never had a problem wearing headgear and driving. I use my mirrors, I pay attention to my surroundings, but yeah, your average person pays attention to nothing

Sep 18, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #36,399 of 63,914
My uncle is deaf and he drives. Deaf people have learned to compensate. Being distracted is a big issue. I personally get lost in my music.
I find it quite the opposite for me, but that's cuz I use music for everything. It helps me focus when I train, I've always used it to study, read, sleep. For me, listening to music, I actually feel more focused on what I'm doing. Go figure

Sep 18, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #36,401 of 63,914
You're all a terrible influence and the zs4 is on its way. I fully expect it to sound just like the zsa but I'll be happy with a more isolating version of the zsa for 13 bucks.

I’ve never heard the ZSA, so don’t blame me if it doesn’t sound the same!

Sep 19, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #36,403 of 63,914
Guys, which is the best KZ IEM with midrange BA?

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #36,404 of 63,914

Actually, that is incorrect since USB C spec includes the option to route analog audio through the C connector. The cheap $1 or $2 cables are analog only and will work only with smartphones that have implemented the analog routing.

Sep 19, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #36,405 of 63,914
Lol! I either use it or use my aftermarket stereo system in my car. Sometimes I just like to listen to my headphones even though I have a top notch system in my car. It's just about mood. I live in California, where itsi illegal, but it doesn't hurt me. That's why I use iems now and stopped wearing full-size headphones. A lot easier to not get caught. Never had a problem wearing headgear and driving. I use my mirrors, I pay attention to my surroundings, but yeah, your average person pays attention to nothing

I Was going to stay quiet on this topic........but naw couldn't do it.

Just to stay on topic of thread.
I just received my KZ USB-C cable, and I will say the SQ is somewhat improved over the standard 3.5 headphone jack.
I think it may have a DAC chip embedded, I have a new Galaxy S9+. I quick tested some tracks from google play music, even tho the over all quality is improved, It bypassess equalizer, upscaled bitrate, and adapt a sound options that are baked into Samsungs phones.
Volume is substantially decreased in my case, and since I don't have a USB-C Amp, I will have to rethink this strategy.

Off Topic, I also live in California, and up until June, either earplugs or iem were underneath my motorcycle helmet.
Driving my old Ford truck, with a stock stereo, (cassette anyone) i do occasionally enjoy whatever iem i picked for the day. If I don't have a bluetooth module to use while driving, I make sure I have a cabled microphone and answer button.

While I agree that there is an opportunity for distraction for some.

I will never believe that any iem, bluetooth, or earphone will personally affect me more than the unacceptable individual that T-Boned my motorcycle on that tuesday morning in june....preoccupied by his....cell phone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back