Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 29, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #35,087 of 63,834
I’ve been away for a while, now I come back to read about KZ and it’s pretty confusing with the plethora of models, many of which are somehow flawed it seems. From what I can gather they haven’t brought up it anything that really beats the ZS5 v1? I’m still using a pair of those, kinda wish I’d bought a spare since they aren’t available anymore.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #35,088 of 63,834
I’ve been away for a while, now I come back to read about KZ and it’s pretty confusing with the plethora of models, many of which are somehow flawed it seems. From what I can gather they haven’t brought up it anything that really beats the ZS5 v1? I’m still using a pair of those, kinda wish I’d bought a spare since they aren’t available anymore.
ED16 beats ZS5v1 in all the things except the soundstage. ED16 beats ZS5v1 by a huge margin in coherency and actual instrument imaging

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #35,089 of 63,834
ED16 beats ZS5v1 in all the things except the soundstage. ED16 beats ZS5v1 by a huge margin in coherency and actual instrument imaging

Hmm and less than £15, I might give a pair a go while I ponder getting something more pricey, thanks.

Jul 29, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #35,090 of 63,834
Hmm and less than £15, I might give a pair a go while I ponder getting something more pricey, thanks.

Love my ED16...and I have many choices.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #35,092 of 63,834
Please help I don't understand. I truly understand Phase & Polarity issues with speakers, however, the effect on what we hear only occurs when sound waves from one speaker interact with sound waves from the other and under certain conditions you will get some cancellation with it most evident on bass. With earphones and headphones, the sound waves from each side never come in contact so there is no cancellation. Can someone tell me what an out of phase earphone sounds like compared to one that is in phase? I have spent some time with several different earphones switching the polarity in one earpiece and not been able to discern a difference. I have also listened to the test tracks on this website noted above and can't distinguish the difference. I know that the full discussion of this is better suited to the sound science forum but it keeps coming up here, probably because the KZ 2 pin connectors can easily be connected with different polarities. If someone has noted a difference can you tell me what it is so I can check again to see if I can hear it? Could just be I can't hear well enough to discern the difference.
It's exactly like the site said. And the sound very easy to distinguish (very different).
Why did I think that I have polarity issue? I did not know about the issue earlier until I found the topic here at the head-fi forum. And tried to change cable on one of the shells, and sound start to be good.
What did I hear with polarity issue?
1. Sound strange moved to right a little bit, like the balance between earphones not centered but moved to some side. I have played before realizing that the polarity issue with default settings in control panel and play with things on screenshot attached to the post.

epv7TXo.png

2. Bass, it was very bad, not a full, after fixing the polarity issue bass start to be much better
3. Very mood mids inside the head, after fixing polarity issue, mids start to be more distinguishes, sound stage start to be more bright, and all instruments more separate, and the sound was like outside the head, not like inside head.
4. highs with reversed polarity were very painful to listen, a lot of sibilants, pss, ssss, sounds, and very painful at many compositions with the guitar.

After changing cable like the site said, everything above start to be good, sound in the center, lows much better, mids not muffed, highs does not hurt anymore, soundstage wider, sound comes around the head, and not in the head, and everything significantly improved.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #35,094 of 63,834

It depends on what you mean by “beats the ZS5 v1”.

The ZS5 v1 is by no means perfect. It has an awesomely spacious soundstage, but it is lacking in other areas.

IMO, the ZSR is an upgrade to the ZS5 v1, in almost all aspects. The shell is huge though, so if you have small ears it may be a problem. But then again, the ZS5 v1 doesn’t exactly have an ergonomic-friendly fit either.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #35,095 of 63,834
does kz have any cable without metalwire like trn?

In theory, every KZ wire is capable of not having the metal memory wire.

A lot of us remove the wire. It takes under 1 minute.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #35,096 of 63,834
It depends on what you mean by “beats the ZS5 v1”.

The ZS5 v1 is by no means perfect. It has an awesomely spacious soundstage, but it is lacking in other areas.

IMO, the ZSR is an upgrade to the ZS5 v1, in almost all aspects. The shell is huge though, so if you have small ears it may be a problem. But then again, the ZS5 v1 doesn’t exactly have an ergonomic-friendly fit either.
Honestly surprised the ZSR "are that good". Really tempted to buy one now lol. Except soundstage is really important to me, that feeling is just so good-

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #35,097 of 63,834
Honestly surprised the ZSR "are that good". Really tempted to buy one now lol. Except soundstage is really important to me, that feeling is just so good-

I think they are. But you’re the ultimate judge.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #35,099 of 63,834
that is true, but then i need to remove the plastic too. so every kz comes with the metalwire?

Not every KZ model ever made, but the majority of the ones with memory wire cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back