Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 28, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #34,186 of 63,914
Jun 28, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #34,187 of 63,914
I don't think there's any QC issues with the ES4. It's just a very unexpected sound from KZ. Full, fat mids. I use large bore tips with both of my ES4's and I like the treble I get. It's probably not for everyone tho. If you like an analytical sound, these are not for you. They don't lack detail in my opinion but they make their detail in the mids without forcefeeding treble to simulate detail. If the treble was boosted the detail in the mids would get lost. When I want a slightly thinner or airier sound, I go for my ED16. I like them both for different reasons. ES4 is a bit more intimate and warm and the ED16 is airier with less mid bass. I love the fast sub bass on the ED16. Very controlled and stays out of the mids. When I listen to more organic sounding music and don't want the sparkly treble to cover up the micro detail in the mids, my ES4 is great. Hope that helps someone.
+1
ES4 doesn`t lack details but it lacks overall resolution and micro-details (with higher tier IEMs You`ll just hear it all but with ES4 you need to "search" those details, but they are there). Everything else about it is quite great actually. Very good option to "rest Your ears" from brighter/harsher signature IEMs.

Btw, I noticed just now that KZ advertises ES4 of having graphene film DD ?
Is it full graphene or somekind of graphene coating?
From the sound of ES4 - I`m pretty sure it doesn`t have graphene DD as it sounds nothing like graphene DD should.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #34,188 of 63,914
Actually that is the same company I have been told. I looked at the photos... it is not the same as the one in my photo. If you look carefully at mine you will see that the red stem sticks out beyond the bottom of the grey silicone. In this one from ali the red stem is completely inside the grey part. I have about a million of these :) Mine are in the second photo. I only have the one pair and have no idea where they came from.

3-Pairs-6pcs-L-M-S-In-Ear-Tips-Earbuds-Headphone-Silicone-Eartips-Ear-Sleeve-Ear.jpg

The long stem in the second picture may be what some need (myself included) to solve the shallow insertion (long nozzle) issues of the ZSR.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #34,189 of 63,914
Btw, I noticed just now that KZ advertises ES4 of having graphene film DD ?
Is it full graphene or somekind of graphene coating?
From the sound of ES4 - I`m pretty sure it doesn`t have graphene DD as it sounds nothing like graphene DD should.
I think I remember seeing something about it only being graphene-coated.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #34,190 of 63,914
LMAO, with all the other things I`m doing I totally messed up with ES4 by plugging 2-pins in wrong way (btw they fit perfectly both ways) and it means they were out-of-phase!
Going to give them longer listen again right from now and share updated impressions tomorrow :wink:
Anyway, they sound lot better when in-phase (seems out-of-phase affected mainly only DD).

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #34,191 of 63,914
LMAO, with all the other things I`m doing I totally messed up with ES4 by plugging 2-pins in wrong way (btw they fit perfectly both ways) and it means they were out-of-phase!
Going to give them longer listen again right from now and share updated impressions tomorrow :wink:
Anyway, they sound lot better when in-phase (seems out-of-phase affected mainly only DD).
I constantly deal with that when using aftermarket cables with the Noble X. Got too used to the keyed sockets from KZ's cables

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #34,192 of 63,914
The long stem may be what some need (myself also) to solve the shallow insertion issues of the ZSR.

Yes, that is why I put it on the ZS10. Good idea for the ZSR as well. I think any of my iems with that type of housing could benefit from them.

I found out earlier today that it is a Spinfit. Another headfier sent me a photo of the one from his Dunu and it looked exactly the same.

The one in my photo is from a Dunu belonging to my husband. He had custom tips made for that earphone so the Spinfit had been sitting in the big box of tips for a long time...long forgotten.

I just wish they cost less. Found some on Aliexpress for about $5 each and ordered one to try and have now ordered a couple more. The one that arrived the other day from ali is being used on my Sunorm SE950. I am not sure if it is exactly the same but the music sounds great and my ears are comfortable. The Spinfits on amazon are a lot more expensive.

My other alternative is to use large Starlines instead of my normal medium but that puts more pressure on my ear canal. Spinfits are extremely comfortable.

i will also be trying some of those Radio Shack tips soon... they might also be good for this style of iem.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #34,193 of 63,914
Looks like I might need some of these now. Thanks for the observation and consequent write up. Some iems sound really good up close and personal.

I did not know RadioShack was still a thing. I ordered 2 pkg each of large and assortment.

Looking forward to rolling these through multiple iem.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #34,194 of 63,914

...and that is why I have no idea what a ZSA should sound like. It belongs to my husband but when it arrived he was on his way to work and let me have first listen while he was gone. I thought it sounded horrible. Suspected it was out of phase (cables were in correctly) and it turns out that it was wired out of phase. Quick fix was to switch to a cable with a straight connecter so it could be flipped. I have not yet bothered to try it again ...partly because it was a poor fit for me. Oddly the smaller size left it feeling insecure and unsupported somehow. Also hard for me to grasp it easily to position it. I know it is meant to sound good but I have so many iems. The KZs that I particularly like are the ED16 and the ZS10...and the ZSR...and the ZS6...and the ED9 :)

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #34,195 of 63,914
Don't feel bad.... It's really easy to do on these in particular. I did the exact same thing at first as well. Plugged right in, so easily, even backwards. I can't even see them well enough to tell the difference.... Time for new glasses.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #34,196 of 63,914
Tell you what: I fell in love with the KZ ATE as my first earphone after the E10. More details, separation and a lovely full, warm sound.

All of the new KZ's are technically better than the ATE. That should help a bit...

thanks pal

seems like if it was a huge jump from the E10 to be ATE, then to something like the ZS10 would be pretty astronomical.

seems like it might be bigger than the jump to e50 or e80. but ah, maybe not. a lot of people rave about the e80

if anyone has used the e50 or e80 and some KZs, do tell be your thoughts

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #34,197 of 63,914
Don't feel bad.... It's really easy to do on these in particular. I did the exact same thing at first as well. Plugged right in, so easily, even backwards. I can't even see them well enough to tell the difference.... Time for new glasses.

I actually keep a lighted magnifying glass handy.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #34,198 of 63,914
...and that is why I have no idea what a ZSA should sound like. It belongs to my husband but when it arrived he was on his way to work and let me have first listen while he was gone. I thought it sounded horrible. Suspected it was out of phase (cables were in correctly) and it turns out that it was wired out of phase. Quick fix was to switch to a cable with a straight connecter so it could be flipped. I have not yet bothered to try it again ...partly because it was a poor fit for me. Oddly the smaller size left it feeling insecure and unsupported somehow. Also hard for me to grasp it easily to position it. I know it is meant to sound good but I have so many iems. The KZs that I particularly like are the ED16 and the ZS10...and the ZSR...and the ZS6...and the ED9 :)
I have the same fit issues with the ZSA. It keeps loosing the seal over time even with huge tips. If you like the ZS6 then the ZSA might appeal to you. It sounds like it's in the same family as ZS6.

Jun 28, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #34,199 of 63,914
I have the same fit issues with the ZSA. It keeps loosing the seal over time even with huge tips. If you like the ZS6 then the ZSA might appeal to you. It sounds like it's in the same family as ZS6.

No, as I explained above, the ZSA is not a comfortable fit for me... it just does not sit right. Anyway, have you seen my list... lol.

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #34,200 of 63,914

Users who are viewing this thread

Back