Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 28, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #34,172 of 63,828
Yep the first photo is what I got.

I now know that the tips in my photo are Spinfits from a Dunu belonging to my husband. He was not using them, because he had a custom thing done to his Dunu, so they were in the huge case of tips.

Jun 28, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #34,173 of 63,828
I now know that the tips in my photo are Spinfits from a Dunu belonging to my husband. He was not using them, because he had a custom thing done to his Dunu, so they were in the huge case of tips.

So I was right!!! HAHA! I'm not insane (completely...)

Jun 28, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #34,175 of 63,828
That is what you expect from chinese
Yeah, I know very well what to expect from chi-fi QC but where did Your information about ES4 BA issues came from?
I haven`t seen ppl mentioning that issue. Pretty much all ES4 reviews say same good (and bad) things.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #34,176 of 63,828
I don't think there's any QC issues with the ES4. It's just a very unexpected sound from KZ. Full, fat mids. I use large bore tips with both of my ES4's and I like the treble I get. It's probably not for everyone tho. If you like an analytical sound, these are not for you. They don't lack detail in my opinion but they make their detail in the mids without forcefeeding treble to simulate detail. If the treble was boosted the detail in the mids would get lost. When I want a slightly thinner or airier sound, I go for my ED16. I like them both for different reasons. ES4 is a bit more intimate and warm and the ED16 is airier with less mid bass. I love the fast sub bass on the ED16. Very controlled and stays out of the mids. When I listen to more organic sounding music and don't want the sparkly treble to cover up the micro detail in the mids, my ES4 is great. Hope that helps someone.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #34,177 of 63,828
I've had the KZ ATE and now the ZST Colourful for a while. Are there are current models that would be a worthy upgrade? There are so many models it is hard to keep track of them all now. I was thinking about the ZS10 but also the upcoming balanced armature-only model. Any suggestions?

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #34,178 of 63,828
I've had the KZ ATE and now the ZST Colourful for a while. Are there are current models that would be a worthy upgrade? There are so many models it is hard to keep track of them all now. I was thinking about the ZS10 but also the upcoming balanced armature-only model. Any suggestions?
While the ZS10 has its fans, I don't think anyone who's compared it to another recent KZ would actually consider it superior. There's also a lot of people who hate their ZS10, I've repeatedly said I think it's the worst IEM I've heard because of how painful those upper mids are.

I haven't tried the ED16 yet but I think the ES4 is the best KZ I've tried. You can even buy both for less than the cost of the ZS10. The ED16 and ES4 will both sound better, be more comfortable, and if you have a clear preference you can just gift the other to someone else.

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #34,179 of 63,828
Yeah, I know very well what to expect from chi-fi QC but where did Your information about ES4 BA issues came from?
I haven`t seen ppl mentioning that issue. Pretty much all ES4 reviews say same good (and bad) things.
I meant to say, a possibility when somebody told us on thread that he was hearing something harsh

Jun 28, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #34,180 of 63,828

I would recommend the ED16 as it's like the ZSR but more refined. I also own the ZS10 but the sheer size of it puts people off.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #34,181 of 63,828
The guy who compared Noble X to ES4...bro, are you fool(no offence)....noble X is full BA, plus it is Knowles BA and not KZ or Bellsing BA... I worked with sonion and I know those crazy parameters that sonion and Knowles use which Bellsing or KZ can't even reach...

That twang of guitar was due to very tight response and correct BA impulse(noble is very good at it) which create a harmonic reverberation (fundamental tone) which dynamic can't do...

Well, let's see what KZ throws at us after this generation...
I'm certainly no fool; I let my ears do the talking. We can also agree to disagree on whether my comparison between the two is valid. If I'm focusing on the differences in one particular element of the sound signature, I don't see that as overreaching criteria for comparison and when you compare signature to signature, there are a lot of similarities there. If you want to say the reason behind differences in performance between the two is caused by component selection, I'm totally OK with that. To say I can only compare one model against another particular model does absolutely no service to newcomers to this thread who might have that particular piece of equipment and want to know how it compares. There's no sense in playing brand bias; sound is sound, signatures are signatures.

As for the concerns over veils and midrange clarity, I do want to bring up that the ES4 is decently receptive to EQ. By setting each EQ band in Neutralizer to just above the lower threshold of hearing, my ears hear a significant reduction in bloom, which translates to a more natural timbre on physical instruments. Granted, I can't get anything audible on the 16 kHz band, but that could just be due to age and the hearing loss that comes with spending over a decade inside an engine room.

Jun 28, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #34,182 of 63,828
I've been looking into IEMs, and the KZs look rather promising. my girl is going to China soon, so I'm gonna have the opportunity to get some chi-fi.

i've got a question that research hasn't been able to answer, so I'm hoping one of y'all will be able to help me out.

I'm wondering how the KZs, in particular models like the ZS10, compare to soundmagic IEMs.

I ask this as I currently have e10s, and will be able to get the e50s or e80s easily as well as any model of KZ IEMs. I have the quad DAC LG G6, so I'll be able to make use of the high impedance in the soundmagics (so better sound I guess?), as well as drive the KZs easily. I'd really like to know how the ZS10s stack up against the e50 and e80 seeing as it's single vs multi driver, but any comparison between the brand's would be super helpful.

as far as sound signature preference goes, I like balanced headphones with a lot of detail and separation. I genre hop a lot, so I need an accurate IEM that suits a lot of genres. plus good instrument separation makes it easier to learn drum parts.

TLDR: Soundmagic VS KZ, which is the brand to go with?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #34,183 of 63,828
I meant to say, a possibility when somebody told us on thread that he was hearing something harsh
OK. Then there is no QC issue with ES4 atm. At least I haven`t seen contradicting reviews of it.
ES4 is still very good in cheapo-chi-fi-land and I still recommend it to everyone who have very sensitive hearing or for parents who wish to keep their kids hearing safe.
I will open up and play with resistors soon after I get chance to install V5i-D opamps to my modified Aune T1.
Freaking busy time with house building and baby O_o ;S

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #34,184 of 63,828
I don't think there's any QC issues with the ES4. It's just a very unexpected sound from KZ. Full, fat mids. I use large bore tips with both of my ES4's and I like the treble I get. It's probably not for everyone tho. If you like an analytical sound, these are not for you. They don't lack detail in my opinion but they make their detail in the mids without forcefeeding treble to simulate detail. If the treble was boosted the detail in the mids would get lost. When I want a slightly thinner or airier sound, I go for my ED16. I like them both for different reasons. ES4 is a bit more intimate and warm and the ED16 is airier with less mid bass. I love the fast sub bass on the ED16. Very controlled and stays out of the mids. When I listen to more organic sounding music and don't want the sparkly treble to cover up the micro detail in the mids, my ES4 is great. Hope that helps someone.
Excellent description. However: you may need bigger than the normal sized tips to get the fit right enough and get this sound out of them.

I've been looking into IEMs, and the KZs look rather promising. my girl is going to China soon, so I'm gonna have the opportunity to get some chi-fi.

i've got a question that research hasn't been able to answer, so I'm hoping one of y'all will be able to help me out.

I'm wondering how the KZs, in particular models like the ZS10, compare to soundmagic IEMs.

I ask this as I currently have e10s, and will be able to get the e50s or e80s easily as well as any model of KZ IEMs. I have the quad DAC LG G6, so I'll be able to make use of the high impedance in the soundmagics (so better sound I guess?), as well as drive the KZs easily. I'd really like to know how the ZS10s stack up against the e50 and e80 seeing as it's single vs multi driver, but any comparison between the brand's would be super helpful.

as far as sound signature preference goes, I like balanced headphones with a lot of detail and separation. I genre hop a lot, so I need an accurate IEM that suits a lot of genres. plus good instrument separation makes it easier to learn drum parts.

TLDR: Soundmagic VS KZ, which is the brand to go with?
Tell you what: I fell in love with the KZ ATE as my first earphone after the E10. More details, separation and a lovely full, warm sound.

All of the new KZ's are technically better than the ATE. That should help a bit...

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #34,185 of 63,828
ZSA review from me to you over on The Contraptionist. Will port here later today.

https://thecontraptionist.blog/2018/06/28/kz-zsa-true-budget-hi-fi/

DSC03548.JPG DSC03551.JPG DSC03555.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back