Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #33,451 of 63,839
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet (I can't keep up with this thread anymore) but did anyone else notice the 0 ohm resistors in the ES4 crossover at R1 and R2? LOL. 0612180819a.jpg

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #33,452 of 63,839
i get why kz floods the market with so many new models--just like gym shoes or cabernets, there's a lot of folks who are more into collecting than using. what i can't quite grasp is why there's so little sonic and (particularly) aesthetic differentiation between their new releases--try as i might i can't see a ton of difference between the zs10, zsr, ed16, etc. if i was mr. kz, i'd be more focused on design, but of course, what do i know...
I can understand the desire to collect IEMs. Some people want to tryr every single sound, even if most of them end up being the stock KZ house sound (v-shaped). The only KZ I currently own is the KZ ZS6. Moved on from the ZST (given away) which was my only other pair. Will be very tempted to get the next one coming out.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #33,453 of 63,839
Can anyone help?

I’ve bought my first pair of balanced cable that has a 0.75mm connector for use with KZ headphones.

Since they are are not official KZ they don’t have the curved end on the connector to let me know which side to plug in.

Instead one of the connectors has a red dot on the tip. Does anyone know which way these should be plugged in?

(I.e red dot towards the “curved” side of the KZ plug? Or visa-versa?)

KZ style: rounded edge - clear to know which way
5ED78B13-5075-4AB3-A4A8-AA9141F0E9FA.jpeg

Balanced cable style: red dot, but no curved side.
434D8D22-2F4A-4B35-B5CD-FFDBB44B8EE7.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #33,454 of 63,839
Can anyone help?

I’ve bought my first pair of balanced cable that has a 0.75mm connector for use with KZ headphones.

Since they are are not official KZ they don’t have the curved end on the connector to let me know which side to plug in.

Instead one of the connectors has a red dot on the tip. Does anyone know which way these should be plugged in?

(I.e red dot towards the “curved” side of the KZ plug? Or visa-versa?)

KZ style: rounded edge - clear to know which way

Balanced cable style: red dot, but no curved side.
Don't think there is any way to find out unless you listen for yourself. Use the audiocheck website polarity test

https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

If it sounds off then reverse 1 side will do.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #33,455 of 63,839
Jun 12, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #33,456 of 63,839
Jun 12, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #33,458 of 63,839
Dang, was hoping that wasn’t the case. Sometimes I find it hard to tell the difference with that test! Hoping it will be more pronounced with balanced cables!

Do KZ do balanced cables? I tried looking without much luck!

Surprisingly they do.
KZ ZS10 ES4 ZST ZSR 2.5mm silver plated Headphone upgrade wire Earphone High quality Cable 0.75mm Pin DIY Detachable Audio Cord
http://s.aliexpress.com/eYf2EzI7

Not sure if you can open the link. It's available fron aliexpress KZ official store

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #33,459 of 63,839
Doh!

Wish I knew that in that before, a lot cheaper than the one I bought too!

Only positive is that my other similar KZ product in that colour has turned green, so at least I won’t have to worry about that!

Surprisingly they do.
KZ ZS10 ES4 ZST ZSR 2.5mm silver plated Headphone upgrade wire Earphone High quality Cable 0.75mm Pin DIY Detachable Audio Cord
http://s.aliexpress.com/eYf2EzI7

Not sure if you can open the link. It's available fron aliexpress KZ official store

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #33,460 of 63,839
Doh!

Wish I knew that in that before, a lot cheaper than the one I bought too!

Only positive is that my other similar KZ product in that colour has turned green, so at least I won’t have to worry about that!

I am afraid of those KZ ones turning green also... I would have to throw it away if that happened. The cable you bought is really beautiful looking... hope it was not horribly expensive.

Jun 12, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #33,463 of 63,839
ZS10 came in today. Just when I thought my ES4 were on the larger side...

jwvFwPy.jpg

YFT8AZQ.jpg

zHULBCA.jpg

Let's just say I can't be lazy when it comes to storing these or it's going to be virtually impossible to tell them apart.

Initial listening impressions will probably come this evening.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #33,464 of 63,839
and of course expensive gear sounds GREAT(not all of it), but KZ sounds AWESOME. I own KZ ZST, ZS5, ZSR and waiting for ED16 and ZS10 to arrive.
ZSRs I like the most for now, and prefer them to my custom Westone ES60.

Right on.

My point is technology is advancing rapidly and in the case of IEMs, there will be a convergence (synchronicity) of the lower priced technology meeting the higher priced product technology and design.
That's where KZ comes in; it seems like their goal.
This is IMHO.
A thank you to Crinacles' ranking list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back