Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 25, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #32,701 of 63,914
Duhhhhhhhhhhh. I was switching both sides! My bad.

When using IEMs (I have used quite a few), I remember:

L - Left - B - Blue or Black - B - Bump (No need for B when distinguishing sides, unless it’s vinyl or multiple-part-media)

R - Right - R - Red - C - Clean (No need for C when distinguishing sides, unless your media has multiple parts to a complete album)

If there is not enough lighting to see anything, unless you are at home or some place that you trust, you should not be listening to music, anyways. Too many people losing IEMs at a bar, car, airport, train, airplane, or other place where they are not staying or not familiar with the surroundings,

As you can see, I have used many different types of media and different types of listening tools, so this is what I currently use for IEMs and hope this can be useful for you.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #32,702 of 63,914
After some hours, what do you think about ES4? Do you prefer it over ZSR?

Haven't had much time with them yet as bought a replacement set of ZS10s (which I LOVE) after one side breaking. Have been listening to them more.

I don't own the ZSRs but after brief listening they are very similar in sound signature to the ZS10s just not as detailed with a smaller soundstage and more prominent bass.

They're definitely keepers but when I get more time with them will try and be more specific.

May 25, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #32,703 of 63,914
After some hours, what do you think about ES4? Do you prefer it over ZSR?

Haven't had much time with them yet as bought a replacement set of ZS10s (which I LOVE) after one side breaking. Have been listening to them more.

I don't own the ZSRs but after brief listening they are very similar in sound signature to the ZS10s just not as detailed with a smaller soundstage and more prominent bass.

They're definitely keepers but when I get more time with them will try and be more specific.

May 25, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #32,704 of 63,914

Ok thanks, the only ES4 review is on thephonograph and they even rank ES4 higher than ZS10 so I really curious about ES4, tempting to buy it but want to hear more review.

May 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #32,705 of 63,914
Would anybody here let me know how the kz zs10 compares to iems like ibasso it01 or fiio fh1

May 25, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #32,706 of 63,914
Would anybody here let me know how the kz zs10 compares to iems like ibasso it01 or fiio fh1

In terms of the IT01 and the ZS10, on my sources, the IT01 is much more detailed and seems more lively and more airy. Individual instruments feel much more dynamic. But the soundstage seems to be similar but the IT01 has more depth. The IT01 handles treble extension much better and in comparison, the ZS10 sounds veiled. Vocals also seem a bit more upfront on the IT01. Mids are thicker and more lush on the IT0. Bass on the IT01 feels much more present too and detailed. When AB'ing, the overall presentation of the IT01 is the clear winner.

May 25, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #32,707 of 63,914
In terms of the IT01 and the ZS10, on my sources, the IT01 is much more detailed and seems more lively and more airy. Individual instruments feel much more dynamic. But the soundstage seems to be similar but the IT01 has more depth. The IT01 handles treble extension much better and in comparison, the ZS10 sounds veiled. Vocals also seem a bit more upfront on the IT01. Mids are thicker and more lush on the IT0. Bass on the IT01 feels much more present too and detailed. When AB'ing, the overall presentation of the IT01 is the clear winner.
Mids/vocals are definitely recessed compared to the it01. Overall I think that with proper EQ the zs10 is almost as good as the it01 and in some ways better (separation, layering). But the it01 is a lot more coherent and forgiving. The zs10 takes a lot of tweaking with EQ to make it sound cohesive, the it01 sounds good with no tweaking.

May 25, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #32,708 of 63,914

In some way I would like to take back what I said. Tip roll with the ZS10. My comment was made using the stock KZ starline tips. I switched to Auvio S wide bore. The ZS10 sounds less congested and airy, now closer to the IT01. I should also mention with the impression I just wrote, I was using a black 8 core SPC cable you can find on Aliexpress. The IT01 was used with it's stock cable and Auvio M wide bore tips. I get a looser seal with the Auvio S tips with the IT01 but the ZS10 seal is just right with the S size. Maybe a difference in the nozzle diameters or the size of the shells. The IT01 now just seems slightly better now. If you can get the ZS10 on sale and use a different cable and do some tip rolling, it's really a satisfying IEM for the money.

Auvio M Tips at Radioshack.

Auvio S Tips at Radioshack.

Last edited:
May 25, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #32,709 of 63,914
The zs10 takes a lot of tweaking with EQ to make it sound cohesive, the it01 sounds good with no tweaking.

I think my ZS10 sounds good with no tweaking....and the IT01 does as well. Using stock tips with both. Maybe my ear canals just work well with IEMs... or maybe I am just not discerning enough.

May 25, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #32,710 of 63,914
In some way I would like to take back what I said about. Tip roll with the ZS10. My comment was made using the stock KZ starline tips. I switched to Auvio S wide bore. The ZS10 sounds less congested and airy, now closer to the IT01. I should also mention with the impression I just wrote, I was using a black 8 core SPC cable you can find on Aliexpress. The IT01 was used with it's stock cable and Auvio M wide bore tips. I get a looser seal with the Auvio S tips with the IT01 but the ZS10 seal is just right with the S size. Maybe a difference in the nozzle diameters or the size of the shells. The IT01 now just seems slightly better now. If you can get the ZS10 on sale and use a different cable and do some tip rolling, it's really a satisfying IEM for the money.

Auvio M Tips at Radioshack.

Auvio S Tips at Radioshack.

Definitely was not impressed with KZ ZS5 with the stock tips. Wide bore is enjoyable enough for me to switch from IT01 to KZ ZS5v2 easily. Would not walk in the rain with my IT01 and was really happy with the KZ5 today :) Isolation isn't that great on the KZ5, so I worry about the KZ6 and its open back layout.
Is isolation worse on the KZ6?

May 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #32,711 of 63,914
Definitely was not impressed with KZ ZS5 with the stock tips. Wide bore is enjoyable enough for me to switch from IT01 to KZ ZS5v2 easily. Would not walk in the rain with my IT01 and was really happy with the KZ5 today :) Isolation isn't that great on the KZ5, so I worry about the KZ6 and its open back layout.
Is isolation worse on the KZ6?

I've used my KZ6 mostly in quiet environments lately. It doesn't seem abnormally un-isolated for an IEM. Also, I mostly use triple flange tips with the ZS6 (mainly for sound preferences not fit issues) so that may be why I feel this way about them being at minimum, average, in isolation. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

May 26, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #32,712 of 63,914

Thanks for your opinion.. decided to give them a shot considering the price and the first impressions. I will report as long as I get them with the delivery from china.. hopefully before ZS18 will be unveiled. :wink:

May 26, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #32,713 of 63,914
I think my ZS10 sounds good with no tweaking....and the IT01 does as well. Using stock tips with both. Maybe my ear canals just work well with IEMs... or maybe I am just not discerning enough.
Is it worth me spending the extra on it01 or I could buy kz zs10 and zs6 for roughly same amount?

May 26, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #32,714 of 63,914
Is it worth me spending the extra on it01 or I could buy kz zs10 and zs6 for roughly same amount?

If you're saying you have a $100 budget, and would it be better to have the IT01 or both the ZS10 and ZS6...I would jump all over the IT01.

The cable of the IT01 alone is worth at least $50 by itself, and just proves the extreme quality if iBasso. I bought a spare IT01 cable just to use on other MMCX IEMs it's so nice.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #32,715 of 63,914
I have question, I think about buy KZ ES4 but I have KZ ZST now and I feel uncomfortable and fall out from ear with it. What do you think, case it's similar to ZST?

For me ZSR it's a super comfortable but left earphone play quieter now and I search something new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back