Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 16, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #32,386 of 63,836
Try the KZ ZSR....I used them for Formula 1 TV broadcast (lots of motor sounds) and they impressed me in their threedimensionality for this purpose - more so than more expensive brandnames such as Focal Sphear or even big headphones such as the AKG K550. You certainly can't go wrong with them unless you have problems with fit.
Here a photo! The ZSR has a really long nozzle.

It's not about the nozzle, the case is just way too big for me :frowning2:

May 16, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #32,387 of 63,836
But wouldn't catch them all will cost hundred(s) and I should just get a hundred headphone and settle with it.

You make a good point. It depends on if you want to play with numerous new toys or, if you would be more comfortable just having something you enjoy and use all the time. I have to admit, sometimes I wish I did not have so many choices, Sometimes I don't know what I want to grab...plus they take up space.

May 16, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #32,388 of 63,836
"You make a good point. It depends on if you want to play with numerous new toys or, if you would be more comfortable just having something you enjoy and use all the time. I have to admit, sometimes I wish I did not have so many choices, Sometimes I don't know what I want to grab...plus they take up space".

it's not because of too much choices. It's because too good living and too much money we have to spent fur such stuff that no body really needs. When you don't have what to eat, you think where and how to eat. But when you have too much to eat you are buying 15 earphones and then worrying about too much choices. And china is always ready to help you there :) Let's buy one more KZ

May 16, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #32,389 of 63,836
"You make a good point. It depends on if you want to play with numerous new toys or, if you would be more comfortable just having something you enjoy and use all the time. I have to admit, sometimes I wish I did not have so many choices, Sometimes I don't know what I want to grab...plus they take up space".

it's not because of too much choices. It's because too good living and too much money we have to spent fur such stuff that no body really needs. When you don't have what to eat, you think where and how to eat. But when you have too much to eat you are buying 15 earphones and then worrying about too much choices. And china is always ready to help you there :) Let's buy one more KZ
it's all about your personal priorities. last week i went to a fancy restaurant where cocktails were like $20 and a few oysters were $15. all the while i was thinking that i would be much happier grabbing a few tacos and spending the difference on, say, that nicehck hk6 in my shopping cart, which won't fade into oblivion a few seconds after consumption.

May 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #32,390 of 63,836
all the while i was thinking that i would be much happier grabbing a few tacos and spending the difference on, say, that nicehck hk6 in my shopping cart

That's me..... always thinking that it would be better spending the money on an out of print CD so I can make a clean duplicate file in WAV or FLAC format

R-9630800-1483902942-3451.jpeg.jpg

R-8649626-1466922631-8905.jpeg.jpg

or sampling an IEM with a different sound signature.

2018-05-16 08.55.12.png

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #32,391 of 63,836

Mazlows hierarchy of needs comes to mind. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs?wprov=sfla1
For some reason I don't think I'd have the anxiety/depression issues I have if I was using all my time struggling to survive. I wonder how much of our modern mental problems and crazy habits are really symptoms of how easy we actually have the basics of life in modern society. The bad part is, it's only going to get worse. We have all this free time where our brains are left to their own devices rather than working out how to survive or not get eaten by a bear that they just after to focus on relatively unimportant stuff that we give unrealistically enhanced importance to.

I consider my obsession with audio to be a mostly positive aspect of my life, and I enjoy the collect them all attitude.

YOU very well might be better served buying one nice pair or you might not, it depends if you could adequately demo all the sets you want to hear and it you really know what you want...

Collecting a lot of cheap KZs can really help you figure out what you do and don't like and keep you "up to date" on recent technological advanced without breaking the bank.

Some may be mistakes, but they're cheap mistakes. i can tell you one of my big audio mistakes is the oppo pm-3, i'd rather listen to my kz zsr than those and I'm sure i could buy all of kz's IEMs for less than what I paid for that single pair of pm-3s. I think all of us have some audio regrets, and buying KZ is always at least a cheap mistake if it doesn't love up to the hype...

Plus, damned if it doesn't distract my crazy mind from my other issues, i'd much rather argue about whether or not the new 16 driver KZ is going to be worth it, or if the es4 truly had an improved BA, than to have my brain wondering if I encountered a bat walking under a bridge and if I'll get rabies because I didn't notice it flew into me...

There are a lot worse things to have your mind do while idling than this...

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #32,395 of 63,836
May 16, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #32,397 of 63,836
I honestly have no idea how realistic it is for them to have a modified 30095. However, if they do I would have expected a much smoother response from the ZS10 than what we got, especially after the ZSR.

Referring back to the ZSA picture, that frequency response looks like it has the peaks of the stock 30095. If they modified it, I would think the first thing we'd see is those peaks getting smoothed out. Therefore either the frequency response pictured is a lot less smooth than what we'll see in the final product or, more likely, all this "upgrade" language is just misleading marketing. After all, "New Upgrade Balanced Armature Unit" is not proper English and potentially in Chinglish it can mean a number of different things.

I won't be casting stones at KZ over semantics; I can hear the difference in the ZSR's presentation when comparing it to previous KZ hybrids, all of which did employ the 30095 BA.

10077751.jpg

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #32,398 of 63,836
Should I get the ES4 or ZSA? I'm using the ZS5 v1 right now and I like it. Is either of these an upgrade to the v1?

P.S: Can't get both

Looking at their history, I don't think that ZSA has any crossover filter so I don't think it can be that much different from their other 1DD+1BA offerings. Personally I'm more interested in the ES4. Might not look as good as the ZSA, but the new graphene DD and the crossover filter should make for an interesting sound. Still, after the ZS10 pre-order disappointment, I'll wait for some reviews before ordering this one.

May 16, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #32,399 of 63,836
Indeed Doc and I think KZ is making major headway even if they are having to release a model a week to get there:laughing:

May 16, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #32,400 of 63,836
(double posted)
Good People:
I'm informed that the mods have 86'd OttoMotor from this and the chifi thread, ostensibly for mentioning the banned seller. Personally, I think that's a big loss to this community--whatever you think of his style (his is a warlike race), he's a very well-informed guy with a great ear, significantly better than mine. I've also never known him to be abusive, profane or heretical; hopefully the mods can be prevailed upon to reverse their decree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back