Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #31,111 of 63,966
KZ ZS10 after 50 hrs of break in...

Still the same: the ZS10 sounds like a more refined ZSR with relatively unfocused bass and more recessed mids (with the iPhone 5S; bass tightens a bit when adding the audioquest dragonfly dac/amp). In comparison, the bass of the Focal Sphear and Fidue A65 is cleaner and more subtle with more present mids.

While people are jumping off the bandwagon, the ED15 hype train was delayed and is reaching town two days late [please forgive these silly puns].]

Waiting the hype train of the ed15 like Harry Potter waiting the Hogwarts Express :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #31,112 of 63,966
This got buried so I'll try again. Hopefully nobody minds.
Recently got a pair of ZS3's and really like them so far. One of the cables it came with was kinda ripped though so it doesn't stay in my ear nearly as well as the other (undamaged) cord. Figure I might as well get a cord replacement to remedy this. Was going to get the standard silver cable that everyone recommends (these, right?)

I can say the TRN V10 is a better option and definitely an upgrade compared to the stock cable. This cable hasn't memory wire so you don't need to play against it to get good position. Also the quality of connectors, cable are better.

but was wondering...is there a good Bluetooth cable alternative? I've seen them on Amazon but was curious if they're any good. Silver cable or Bluetooth? Interested in the Bluetooth for general convenience and running.

I'd pick up the TRN V10 cable and Xiaomi adapter Bluetooth and you can have the best of both worlds. I kind of didn't like the result of ZS3 + KZ Bluetooth, it's weak and I can't get enough volume, but it works well on ZST. And I never tested the TRN Bluetooth which apparently is good.

I'm also wondering if the ZS3's aren't staying in as well due to the poor fit of the ear tips. Tried all 3 sizes that came with the ZS3's and (with virtually all of them) I'll get a great fit initially but then they slowly pop out a bit resulting in a noticeable difference in sound. This is my first pair of quality IEMs and as such don't have any other ear tips I can try out. I know it's hard to make a recommendation and that probably trial-and-error is the best way for me to find a tip that fits me well but...can anyone recommend an ear tip that typically provides a pretty good fit (for most users) that won't break the bank?

Trying to fit them shallow over deep helps me. I've been struggling to find other tips to ZS3 too since it hasn't nozzle lip so you either need to find a tight tip or create a lip to solve this issue. But maybe others users have found good tips.

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #31,113 of 63,966
The TRN bluetooth 4.2 cable at ~$22 is very good paired with my ZS3 and will make your ears bleed at max volume.

I'm actually curious with the xiaomi bluetooth adapter as you could use other headphones or even a computer speaker for that matter without being locked into the KZ eco system. The only downside is that you have to keep your long headphone cables on your body attached to the bluetooth so comfort wise the TRN bluetooth cable would have that advantage since it's all built in.

External usability though, the xiaomi would be pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #31,114 of 63,966
Bought another 2-pin cable with three buttons recently, better than KZ one.

Which cable did you get?

I "upgraded" to a cable that will change colour to green and is devoid of "useless" ballast such as mic and buttons. But it looks kool and KZ made a few more bucks on me!

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #31,116 of 63,966
The vent hole next to the strain relief is a bass vent, and will not serve a pressure relieving function.

If you have a micro drill bit set, you could add a tiny pressure vent on the front side of the IEM. Something like 0.2 mm should be enough to vent pressure yet not affect bass. You would just have to be very careful not to damage the driver (although if you do, you're only out a few dollars).

I know what you mean about the suction effect. I get that with the ZS3, and it results in a very inconsistent experience.

The other thing you can try is foam tips. They won't allow the pressure buildup, since the air has a chance to escape before the foam fully expands. This is also a useful solution to IEMs with bad driver flex (also caused by pressure buildup).

Regardless, that's really unfortunate. You're really missing out by not experiencing what the EDR1 is fully capable of.

I don't have the EDR1, but do have the EDR2.
How do these two compare?

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #31,117 of 63,966
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #31,119 of 63,966
You know that's right, I just refer to her as the higher power. Mine actually turns 47 today! After 20 years with her and never buying what she wants or likes I thank whoever came up with the idea of the gift card as one can almost never go wrong (almost you know like that 99.9% of the population that think better sounding music is just a bunch of bunk):open_mouth: Sorry for straying gentlemen:grimacing:
Just for the Mrs…

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #31,120 of 63,966
My green KZ ZS6 from NiceHCK arrived yesterday. I finally have the mint chocolate IEMs I've always wanted :ksc75smile:

6OGc5aj.jpg

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #31,122 of 63,966
Hmm, perhaps I should stick that white braided cable on my new green ZS6. Its that one that's really soft and braided with 4 individual strands but turns green within 2 months. It'll match the IEMs

LOL, THX for the BD wish/song as I'm sure she will get a kick out of it:beerchug: When I first opened it I thought it was going to be one from Ted:open_mouth: and thinking how colorful it may have been:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #31,125 of 63,966
ED15 Hype Train Has Arrived In Western Canada

Haptic:
Heavy, feels a bit like the GR (but not quite as heavy). Same cable as ZS10 but not detachable. Strain reliefs at earpieces look basic. Standard starline tips.

Looks: Shaped like a Klingon cruiser/1960s hair dryer (retro look). Silver (chrome) is shinier than the matte on the photos.

Sound: I am going cycling now. Will try them later.

Photos enlarge when you click on them!

IMG_6401.jpg
IMG_6404.jpg
IMG_6410.jpg
overtaking-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back