Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 12, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #30,511 of 63,965
B9S... well we have something in common more than ANV "worship" - I`m still driving my 2001 Impreza 1.6TS AWD(hi-lo) bugeye wagon ;P No turbo, no intercooler, no raw power... but I luv this car soo much! ;P

That's awesome :D When I went to buy a new car I was going for my favorite, a 2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT wagon. Unfortunately it cost a little more than I could afford and settled on a 2008 Fusion SE. Found out afterwards that at the time the Fusion was the most cross shopped model (at least here in Canada) to the Legacy due to similar size, cost, and driving feel.

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #30,512 of 63,965
Did you ever do any house fighting in Bonnland at Hammelburg. I was stationed there.

No sir but I did tour with the Armed Forces Racquetball league while there and my oldest son was born in Landstuhl's 2nd Army hospital, that one might be akin to "I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express" last night:smirk:

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #30,513 of 63,965
finally thephonograph reviewed zs10 i think its first english review out there
KZ-ZS10-Frequency-Response-Curve.jpg

KZ-ZS6-Frequency-Response.jpg

KZ-ZSR-Frequency-Response.jpg

Even if they have measured the ZS10 without sealing those questioned vents, seeing the less bass performance, those highs seem way less emphasized than usual. Maybe the tuning is more near ATR/ATE signature. What do you think ?

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #30,514 of 63,965
KZ-ZS10-Frequency-Response-Curve.jpg

KZ-ZS6-Frequency-Response.jpg

KZ-ZSR-Frequency-Response.jpg

Even if they have measured the ZS10 without sealing those questioned vents, seeing the less bass performance, those highs seem way less emphasized than usual. Maybe the tuning is more near ATR/ATE signature. What do you think ?

That looks like it sounds underwater. Bit of a treble roll off. I learned not to judge based on graphs because most of the time they aren't as drastic as this one, but I'm definitely not expecting much at this point.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #30,515 of 63,965
That looks like it sounds underwater. Bit of a treble roll off. I learned not to judge based on graphs because most of the time they aren't as drastic as this one, but I'm definitely not expecting much at this point.
The 10kHz level has to be level with or 5dB below the 1kHz. The 3kHz peak looks good and is on target. But, the treble looks too rolled off.
I am not sure what is the point of having 4 BA drivers only to hear dark, veiled sound?:thinking:

Apr 12, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #30,516 of 63,965
The excursion seem really more similar to older ATR's graphs, than ZS5/6. Like they have try to mimic that signature, maybe using the same actual ATE/ATR driver on full range, then try to adding resolution with those little peaks spread around the highs.

It may seem a strange choice, but those highs can't be harsh tuned that way.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #30,517 of 63,965
New here. Finally created an account after years of lurking. Just received my ZS10. Treble is a little harsh.
7C8CAB63-C7D8-4BD3-99C9-7D88FD09B666_zpsi8iqnkyt.jpeg
7C8CAB63-C7D8-4BD3-99C9-7D88FD09B666_zpsi8iqnkyt.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #30,519 of 63,965
The excursion seem really more similar to older ATR's graphs, than ZS5/6. Like they have try to mimic that signature, maybe using the same actual ATE/ATR driver on full range, then try to adding resolution with those little peaks spread around the highs.

It may seem a strange choice, but those highs can't be harsh tuned that way.

I don't know the conditions of this measurement rig so I'd take that with a grain of salt:

18xDjhO.jpg

ZS10 hasn't that fat at the bass/mid-bass like ATR so it's really possible the signature won't be dark as it's looking like to be.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #30,520 of 63,965
The 10kHz level has to be level with or 5dB below the 1kHz. The 3kHz peak looks good and is on target. But, the treble looks too rolled off.
I am not sure what is the point of having 4 BA drivers only to hear dark, veiled sound?:thinking:

It's pretty much ok until 3.5K (warmish but on point still), after 3.5K it has around 10-20dB of treble reduction on average. There are easily single DD IEMs that are cheaper and with better treble extension, what in the world are all these BAs doing?
First time that I am actually toying with the idea that KZ just used BAs as a marketing tool. They probably gave BAs a lot of resistance in order to do that.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #30,521 of 63,965
Yeah, i mean neutral, but non overpowered low freqs the ones im lookin for too lol!

Yeah, neutral really isn't KZs thing. Most of what they have (that's readily available, not discontinued models) is v or u shaped.

If you truly want a neutral IEM in the KZ price range, get the graphene dynamic driver BlitzWolf BW-ES1. Then do a few simple but very specific mods to it (requiring only a few simple items like a needle, tape, etc). It is about as flat as a pancake as you're going to get without spending a lot more $$. You will be shocked by the results, with the end result punching way above it's price range.

Apr 12, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #30,522 of 63,965
the edse was highly touted a few years ago, and is a fun listen, but has been overshadowed by the more recent kz cheapos (edr2, ed3c, etc.). the hds3, for one, has the same basic signature--energetic, mid-focused and brightish--but sounds better to me. we're talking five bucks, tho, so the edse is still a worthwhile addition.

You know, now that you mention it, the EDSE does remind me of the HDS3 (especially when modded to be open backed):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1108#post-13353620

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #30,523 of 63,965
I don't know the conditions of this measurement rig so I'd take that with a grain of salt:

18xDjhO.jpg

ZS10 hasn't that fat at the bass/mid-bass like ATR so it's really possible the signature won't be dark as it's looking like to be.
Why is KZ so intent on making bright-sounding IEMs? I was hoping with the ZS10 they'd should shoot for more pronounced mids.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #30,524 of 63,965
Yeah, neutral really isn't KZs thing. Most of what they have (that's readily available, not discontinued models) is v or u shaped.

If you truly want a neutral IEM in the KZ price range, get the graphene dynamic driver BlitzWolf BW-ES1. Then do a few simple but very specific mods to it (requiring only a few simple items like a needle, tape, etc). It is about as flat as a pancake as you're going to get without spending a lot more $$. You will be shocked by the results, with the end result punching way above it's price range.

How do you compare bw1 modded with tin audio t2 ?

Apr 12, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #30,525 of 63,965
B9S... well we have something in common more than ANV "worship" - I`m still driving my 2001 Impreza 1.6TS AWD(hi-lo) bugeye wagon ;P No turbo, no intercooler, no raw power... but I luv this car soo much! ;P Almost 300K driving joy atm.

288K on mine:

dscn1725.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back