Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #30,061 of 63,882
I remember tossing the shield boxes after looking at them and thinking that they would be handy if they didn't have those pillars that held the spare ear tips and the cord was wrapped around. But after I'd tossed mine I remember seeing someone making the comment that they used their shield box to hold a cheap player and earphones. Was there a way to remove the pillars and end up with a useful small box that I missed?

I guess the 3 pillars can be broken/cut with some care, it's plastic after all. The only problem I see is the box not closing firmly. It's not tight enough when closed, so stuff inside could come out easily.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #30,062 of 63,882
What box was before the white? I just received a pair in a black box, with reflective purple printing (off ebay).

You are describing the old (original) box. KZs came in those boxes many years ago. Before the plastic "shield" boxes, before the cardboard boxes with windows, before the new white boxes.

So you have the original EDR1.

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #30,063 of 63,882
Yep my ZSE were miswired too. Bought in Jan. How easy was it to open it without destroying?

Also, I don't know if this was posted before but I happened across it by accident. Someone modified the ZS6 crossover as an alternative to using the 75ohm impedance adapter. Suggested an 18ohm series resistor on the BA wiring and/or wiring the BA's in series with each other. It sounds like later he made some different mods instead.

http://www.diyhifi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2944

That article had some interesting quotes:

'The chinese manufacturer of the IEM's failed to account that the BA drivers they use are designed to be linked to the ear by a tube and require acoustic resistive termination to offer a flat response. By pointing them directly into the ear, by pointing two of them directly into the ear, they create what some have called "treble knifes". '​

From the initial description of the ZS10 it sounds like KZ has included at least the tube from the 4 BAs on that model.

'After some pen-damping on the existing measured curves scraped from Headfi to correct out the IEC711 coupler resonance, I reverse-engineering the actual "crossover" circuit and resulting likely slopes/responses etc. based on the datasheet for the BA Drivers from Knowles - I suspect at the price these IEM sell the actual BA drivers are French Croatian (Fa Ke) rather than Knowles USA but they measure like misapplied originals would, or close enough to not matter.

There is an appx. 7.5 Ohm series resistor on the 6.4mm "midrange" Driver, no crossover whatsoever on the 10mm "Woofer" and a appx. 1uF series capacitor for the dual BA "Tweeter" which is paralleled. One possible trick would be to reconnect the BA drivers in series, instead of parallel, this will drop SPL by 6dB and increase impedance four fold, but it looked incredibly fiddly to me. I might try this on a new pair, using someone else's pairs of hands to solder.

After comparing the curves to the latest Olive/Welti target for headphones I decided to add an 18 Ohm resistor in series with the 1uF capacitor which constitutes the "crossover" of the high frequency drivers. This produces a similar attenuation of the excessive treble (around 7dB vs. 5dB) as the 75 Ohm resistor without killing efficiency and it makes the IEM a more gentle load for sources to boot (the impedance dip at high frequencies is substantially filled in). '
I don't think I have the soldering skills (nor do I have two 18 ohm resistors :) to do this mod, but it sounds tempting. Although I am not bothered as much as most folks here by the "treble knives" of my ZS6s.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #30,065 of 63,882
Have the ZS10s from aliexpress stores started shipping yet?

Store who must not be named have not shipped the black ones yet

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #30,066 of 63,882
ok. i have a question, if anybody has experience switching/adding a driver (parallel vs. series)
- because changing the ohm (load) can effect the sound, what's the general change to the sound signature switching from parallel to series or vice versa?
- i know ohm's law, just curious what the general consensus is on how that relates to typical sound signature changes as the load changes (other than the obvious loudness change)

.....hmm

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #30,067 of 63,882
Have the ZS10s from aliexpress stores started shipping yet?

Store who must not be named have not shipped the black ones yet
Mine was shipped. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Can’t really believe it.

Apr 5, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #30,068 of 63,882
Apr 5, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #30,070 of 63,882
Seems like the ZSE was unburied lately... I got curious about the latest impressions and went to pick my ZSE that has been in the "KZ drawer" since last autumn and rocked them all day yesterday.

These are weird curious little IEMs. I find them dependent of everything. Tip dependent, source dependent, mood dependent, musical stile dependant... I get a lot of mixed feelings about them, really.

When I got them, I went to pick them up at the mail station and tried them with their standard tips (the black starline) and with the Benjie S5, and out of the box I found them great. Fantastic mids, good aggressive punch but not as strong as the double dynamics suggested, smooth but accurate treble, rolling off in a close signature to the original ATE. I thought I had an updated version of the good old ATE (I really love the old first version ATE) in my hands. Got home, connected them to the FiiO x3II and... the magic is gone... :frowning2: . To a Topping portable amp, and... nothing to write home about. Listened to various musical styles and the same dull sensation. Tip Rolled them and with foams the good mids were gone. I don't remember more details, but I got unimpressed with them...

Yesterday I used them with the very same settings, black starlines, Benjie S5 with Flac files, and hey, they're good. Tried them on my phone (Honor 8, nothing special), and... they're rubbish. Tried them on my DIY desktop amp (Grado clone), and they're bad. Same tips, same files...

See, when they are on they're best behaviour, they excell the old ATE. But the ATE plays with everything you throw at them, considering you have the right wide bore tips. The ZSE does not.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #30,071 of 63,882
KZ YOU HEAR THIS?!? ME TOO!!!

I want 1 more piece of that cake! ;P

I have two pairs of the ZS5(v1)! Maybe when they're value gets to three figures I'll think of selling one :smiling_imp: :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: :joy:

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #30,072 of 63,882
They are quite tip dependant as well. I can't remember if you're using wide bore Whirlwinds or Auvio tips. But obviously tip rolling might change your mind (which you may already have done).

Or it could just be they just don't sound good to your ears. Nothing wrong with that. But there sure are heaps of people that love the CM5, so if you want to sell them I'm sure you'll have no issues whatsoever.

I agree, I struggled for weeks with fit but even when they were falling out of my ears I still enjoyed them more than rock zircons lol.

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #30,073 of 63,882
They are quite tip dependant as well. I can't remember if you're using wide bore Whirlwinds or Auvio tips. But obviously tip rolling might change your mind (which you may already have done).

Or it could just be they just don't sound good to your ears. Nothing wrong with that. But there sure are heaps of people that love the CM5, so if you want to sell them I'm sure you'll have no issues whatsoever.

So I was tip rolling again this morning, and found the stock Bullet tips actually work for me. At least until my KZ Starlines arrive, which everyone says seem to work for them so I'm hopeful. I posted more thoughts about the UiiSii tips in the Appreciation thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back