Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #30,031 of 63,915
Apr 4, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #30,032 of 63,915
Glad to see them not piggybacking off the Campfire design again.

I'm a sucker for matte black finishes, which it looks to have in the picture....

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #30,034 of 63,915
Looking at some of the renders from the KZ YZ39, it looks like they have the same housing and driver setup as the KZ ZS10.

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #30,035 of 63,915
DZ72floV4AAMl7u.jpg

How interesting (not the IEM, but the color).

The more time goes on, the more I've come to believe this hunch - that I believe KZ closely watches/reads this KZ thread. There are too many things that appear more than mere coincidence; this is one of them. Many of us were buying different colors of ZS6 bodies so we could swap around the faceplates. We were posting photos, talking about it, etc. Now KZ all of the sudden seems to be planning on offering them this way.

The nozzle lip on the newest ZS6s is another example of this. We've been complaining about that since the ZS5. So when we say 'KZ listens to its customers', I think a large portion of that listening is going on right here in this thread.

Another coincidence just happened today. I received yet another (backup) pair of EDR1 because I have been worried they are all going to be gone soon (plus I got them for $1, and was planning on transplanting the drivers into something else). Low and behold, it came in one of the new white boxes! Every one I've received up to this point has been in the ancient plain black cardboard box. Guys, the EDR1 hasn't been manufactured in a long time; it's multiple generations old. A lot of us have been recommending it and recommending it, every chance we get, and now they are making it again. Coincidence? I doubt it.

While I'm on the topic of the EDR1, please note that the "new" one in the white box no longer has the longer body vs the EDR2. The "new" EDR1 is the exact same size as the EDR2 (ie about 3-4mm shorter overall). The vent hole has moved to the same spot as the EDR2 as well. Rest assured though, the EDR1 sound has not changed in any perceptable way (verified with both my ears and with FR measurement). So this is one case where KZ did the smart/right thing - they did NOT change the sound of a much-loved IEM, even though it is technically a "new" version (only the shell has changed slightly).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #30,036 of 63,915
Yeah I find the wide bores actually make them sound worse, the best sound I've gotten out of them so far is by using Sony hybrids. I've ordered 30 pairs of KZ Starlines, but it will take a while for them to be delivered

The CM5 have a weird peak up in the higher frequencies for me, I don't know what it is.

Will see what happens after like 50 hours of burn in, if they don't change/improve I'll probably sell them on.
The CM5 are still some of my favorites at the moment, but that may change over time, (or when I finally order the ZS10:ksc75smile:). I find them inspiring and musical.

Gotta love the IEM addiction and the way we all hear things differently.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #30,037 of 63,915
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #30,038 of 63,915
The red/black colour style is probably too much of a coincidence. I agree they probably check this thread, but I wonder if the general raise in prices in KZ models in GearBest in this 2018 has something to do with that. Even the discount codes in the GearBest Discounts thread are not in the same range price offered last year. Maybe the KZ brand popularity in Head-Fi has raised prices, decreased QC and changed the company with that ambitious 2018 line-up. I really hope not, but that would be the natural step of a company growing in size. :pensive:

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #30,039 of 63,915
Hey KZ, I would love to be able to try the old ZS5 :ksc75smile:

Looking at some of the renders from the KZ YZ39, it looks like they have the same housing and driver setup as the KZ ZS10.
Aren't they the same thing? I'm feel like the "YZxx" is just the unofficial name/model

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #30,040 of 63,915
Remember when I posted about wanting to have a purple translucent one and I even included photos of that color as well as amber? hmmmm.... now it seems my purple one is being made for me... I think they should just send it to me! The KZ YZ40

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1802#post-13983806
Off topic, but if you just want purple housing,

https://penonaudio.com/tfz-exclusive-1.html
https://penonaudio.com/tfz-series-1s.html
https://penonaudio.com/tfz-series-3s-special-edition.html
https://penonaudio.com/tfz-series-1s-my-love-special-ver..html

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #30,041 of 63,915
I'm waiting myself to see if the Mi neckband gets trickled down to Aliexpress or not. Unsure how long it might take.

First sign of the Mi band on AliExpress!
http://s.aliexpress.com/zaiYzQjY

A bit more expensive than I thought it will be alas, seems to be coming in at a $10 Premium over the 299 wuan price, but then I suppose that does include shipping halfway across the world.

Before I make the leap, if I did want to convert to KZ, can I check, it is “just” a case of snipping off the ends off this, and a KZ cable and then re-wiring then it’s together? Or is there anywhere on AliExpress that sells the KZ 2 pin end connectors? (I have seen a nice silver set out there, which would go nice with the grey mi band!)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #30,042 of 63,915
First sign of the Mi band on AliExpress!
http://s.aliexpress.com/zaiYzQjY

A bit more expensive than I thought it will be alas, seems to be coming in at a $10 Premium over the 299 wuan price, but then I suppose that does include shipping halfway across the world.

Before I make the leap, if I did want to convert to KZ, can I check, it is “just” a case of snipping off the ends off this, and a KZ cable and then re-wiring then it’s together? Or is there anywhere on AliExpress that sells the KZ 2 pin end connectors? (I have seen a nice silver set out there, which would go nice with the grey mi band!)
Re-wiring is pretty much it overall. To be specific: cut off both the donor and receiver cable, carefully peel the outer sheath from both cable ends, if the enamelled wire strands have a fibre reinforcement, try to unravel the strands and cut off the fibre, use a 60w soldering iron to tin the wire ends, using rosin flux paste. 60w should be hot enough to burn off the enamel coating, and flux will keep the copper clean. Once you have both the receiver and donor ends tinned, slide on a heat-shrink tube, fuse the donor and receiver wires with just a tiny bit of solder, it should be easy cause of the pre-tinned ends. Watch for, and match the red/copper and green/copper color coding. Once the ends are fused with solder, insulate one wire with clear tape, slide down the heat shrink sleeve over the joint, use a hair dryer to shrink it down.

This is one of my experiments
RNkM1lI.jpg

Edit: before shrinking down the heat shrink sleeve, check polarity at
https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php

Edit 2: The xiaomi pistons were not half bad. Do spend some time with the stock drivers before performing surgery.

Edit 3: If the cable is long enough, soldering in a 0.78mm connector plug directly onto the neckband cable would be easier. Lots of listings on Aliexpress for the 0.78mm male connector with screw-on housing.

g09n3

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #30,043 of 63,915
Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #30,044 of 63,915
How interesting (not the IEM, but the color).

The more time goes on, the more I've come to believe this hunch - that I believe KZ closely watches/reads this KZ thread.

They would be silly not to follow this thread. It should be part of their R&D. What is new on the EDR1's housings? I am also awaiting one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back