Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 30, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #29,776 of 63,966
Looks a lot like the "Mini Monitor Vault" cases by Westone that were, if I'm not horribly wrong, produced by OtterBox. Great little cases and very sturdy. The only disadvantage was that the area around the clasp locks eventually started to form cracks due to the rubber gaskets wielding too much force on the clasp.

If you don't need the cases to be waterproof (who does?), then you could just remove the gasket. No gasket = no cracking = problem solved.

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #29,777 of 63,966
This has been posted already and might have gone a bit unnoticed but as @Slater mentioned it might interrest collectors very much.

KZ ZS6 green at a great price here, might as well be the last train:
New KZ ZS6 2DD 2BA Hybrid In Ear Earphone HIFI DJ Monito Running Sport Earphone Earplug Headset Earbud KZ ZS5 Pro Metal Earphone
http://s.aliexpress.com/Zr2MvMjU?fromSns=Copy to Clipboard

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #29,779 of 63,966
I know everyone is on the ZS10 hype train, but I wanted to let you ZS5 and ZS6 owners know an easy way to maximize the bass.

Just cover the vent hole with a very small strip of micropore or transpore tape.

Or, if you don't have any of that, just use regular tape and poke a tiny hole in the tape using the tip of a sewing needle, push pin, hat pin, or thumb tack. Be sure not to poke too deep - only poke deep enough to just pierce through the tape.

ZS5-ZS6-Vent.jpg

Mar 30, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #29,780 of 63,966
I know everyone is on the ZS10 hype train, but I wanted to let you ZS5 and ZS6 owners know an easy way to maximize the bass.

Just cover the vent hole with a very small strip of micropore or transpore tape.

Or, if you don't have any of that, just use regular tape and poke a tiny hole in the tape using the tip of a sewing needle, push pin, hat pin, or thumb tack. Be sure not to poke too deep - only poke deep enough to just pierce through the tape.

I've done that (and many of your mods ofc) and my experience was muddier bass (casual listening not critical).

If I recall correctly from @vector84 (where you at dude?) this (otherwise good) mod has different impact on people due to annatomical structure - being an inner side vent it might already be partially obstructed by ear layout. I think @HiFiChris spotted this first.
I might be wrong, sorry if I misquoted ppl.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #29,781 of 63,966
I've done that (and many of your mods ofc) and my experience was muddier bass (casual listening not critical).

If I recall correctly from @vector84 (where you at dude?) this (otherwise good) mod has different impact on people due to annatomical structure - being an inner vent it might be already partially obstructed by ear layout. I think @HiFiChris spotted this first.
I might be wrong, sorry if I misquoted ppl.

If the hole you poke is too small it can be a bit muddy. But all you have to do is poke the hole slightly larger until it sounds the way you want (ie no muddiness, but >bass than stock).

About 50% the size of the stock ZS6 hole is the perfect sweet spot for me.

I did tinker with a few mods to the 10mm driver (mods inside the shell), but didn't manage to get the improvements I was looking for just yet. I'm still working on a few more ideas though.

But yes, you're right that depending on your individual ear it may already be blocked to begin with. It's not with my ears though; hence the tape mod.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #29,782 of 63,966
@Slater About to go to sleep but now that I'm feeling chatty due to many ipas how's your medical ear piercing treating you? I hope you are better. Stay well.

Edit: now that struck me as an over personal question but you are a notorious (well appreciated) poster here for whom we are rooting and you've publicly posted your condition before. Feel free to ignore me.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #29,783 of 63,966
@Slater About to go to sleep but now that I'm feeling chatty due to many ipas how's your medical ear piercing treating you? I hope you are better. Stay well.

Edit: now that struck me as an over personal question but you are a notorious (well appreciated) poster here for whom we are rooting and you've publicly posted your condition before. Feel free to ignore me.

All healed up! Cut my migraines by probably 85% Thanks for asking :)

And so this stays on topic, I wonder when the ZS4 (ZS3 hybrid) is going to be released? I've been waiting for that one.

10090640.png

What's odd is that it didn't appear on the 2018 earphone lineup material that KZ posted. I hope that doesn't mean we have to wait until 2019!

KZ-ZS4-KZ-YZ66-KZ-YZ63-KZ-YZ49-KZ-YZ46-KZ-YZ41-KZ-YZ40-KZ-YZ39-KZ-YZ35-KZYZ34.jpg

Mar 30, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #29,787 of 63,966
found a more detailed review from taobao for ZS10
"using fiio x5 as source, immediate impression is wide sound stage, then accurate positioning and imaging, lots of detail. overall very fine and detailed treble, vocal distance is spot on, lots of mids, bass and sub-bass is just right. super value for money"

I still can't find anyone who received the mic version and posted pictures yet, so can't confirm the cable. but for non mic version everyone has the braided copper upgrade cable.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #29,788 of 63,966
Well, my EDR2 was also kind of neutral sided with good mids but they sounded "intimate & foward" and somewhat warm. I bought my EDR2 long back, shortly after release.
I don`t know about current release though.
About ATE - current 5th gen ATE sounds same to current latest ATR (which has red-shelled ATE 5th gen driver inside).

I have had about 40 hours with the EDR2, newly shipped from GB. To my ears, it sounds on the neutral side.

It is the first non "custom" style KZ I have, and I really like it so far.

Mar 31, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #29,789 of 63,966
found a more detailed review from taobao for ZS10
"using fiio x5 as source, immediate impression is wide sound stage, then accurate positioning and imaging, lots of detail. overall very fine and detailed treble, vocal distance is spot on, lots of mids, bass and sub-bass is just right. super value for money"

I still can't find anyone who received the mic version and posted pictures yet, so can't confirm the cable. but for non mic version everyone has the braided copper upgrade cable.
Are you implying that if you ordered a mic version you won't get a braided copper cable? I was worried about that so I ordered the non-mic

Nothing but praise for the ZS10 so far.... I can't wait until a fellow head-fi member gets theirs so we can confirm the hype.

Mar 31, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #29,790 of 63,966
I have had about 40 hours with the EDR2, newly shipped from GB. To my ears, it sounds on the neutral side.

It is the first non "custom" style KZ I have, and I really like it so far.
Too much neutral in this discussion group that is not neutral. The EDR2 are not even remotely neutral, they have a highly elevated bass which contributes to a v-shape. The ZS5 are also not neutral. Neutrally tuned budget earphones are as rare as British dentists. The textbook example of a cheap, neutral earphone are the Fostex TE-02. Most members here would throw them in the garbage bin claiming they don't have bass - that's neutral...realistic sounding.

HifiChris writes on head-fi: "The TE-02 is very neutral sounding and might be too sterile and boring for many – however, if you want to try a fairly neutral IEM for little money, this one could be for you."

The classic premium neutral earphones are the Etymotic ER•4S and ER4 SR.

Audiophiles are looking for frequency response curves close to the Fostex TE-02 one.

Fostex TE-02n IEM Measurements | Super Best Audio Friends-1.jpg
BW-ES1 Jurgen stock vs advanced-1-1.jpg
KZ EDR2 filters comparison-2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back