Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 22, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #29,386 of 63,981
+1 on Podster's comment. Thanks to @rayliam80 for posting up the Rat Shack eartip deal.

While I would have loved to get the (2) pairs of M for $1, I was perfectly happy getting the full SML set for $1.50. I even used a coupon code I found online for an extra 15% off! They do have plenty of S and L in the "2 for $10" version. On Radio Shack's website (radioshack.com), the part numbers are as follows:

S "2 pairs for $1" kit: 3300783
M "2 pairs for $1" kit (sold out): 3300784
L "2 pairs for $1" kit: 3300785
SML for $1.50 kit: 3301585
15% off coupon code: RADIO15
** Free shipping on website orders over $19.

Note: Since they made the coupon code to predictable, be sure to try RADIO20, RADIO25, or RADIO30 to see if you can get an even bigger discount! I've used that trick before at other websites!

I've never even seen or heard of the Auvio tips (not sure how I missed all of the recommendations on them). Anyways, I'm glad I did because they are really nice and fit great. They are a different shape than your typical wide bore tips (such as the KZ/Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwinds). They are shaped more like a KZ Starline or Sony Hybrid, except with a wide bore. Very nice feeling and grippy!

I'm glad you enjoy them. I bought Auvio tips a couple of years ago when I got the ATH-IM70. A lot of people on a particular head-fi thread said they were a good fit and sound for that IEM. Looking through one of my junk drawers, I came across the packaging and remembered them then just decided to search for them randomly if they were still around. I paid like $7 or $8 then for 2 pairs originally.

Mar 22, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #29,387 of 63,981
ZS6 REACTING TO DIFFERENT OUTPUT IMPEDANCES.
This is borrowed from the German site headflux.de

Increasing the output impedance reduces the ZS6's piercing treble, starting at 10 kHz and peaking at 13.5 kHz.

A 64 ohm or higher impedance adapter works best.

KZ-ZS6-web-1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #29,388 of 63,981
I agree with Coil. Since releasing the ZS5, it was evident that KZ were digging the bigger money. And announcing 10 new models of almost the same simultaneously, shows a somewhat unfocused company planning (remember Apple in the early 90s?). And such quantity makes me suspicious of the quality offered. Not even a player as big as Sennheiser would do that.

And I am siding with Slater that the ZS10, 11, 12, and 15 won't be much of an "upgrade" over the current sound, considering people still have to mod their current multi-driver models to sound tolerable...as opposed to their $5 single-driver models. I speculate modding will have to continue with the new models.

And when everybody counts the money spent on their 30 KZ earphones, this could have bought them one or more top-of-the-line reference earphones.

What sets the ZS6 apart is its attractive metal body with its attractive design lifted from the Campfire Andromeda. It probably will be their company highlight in terms of eye candy and workmanship for a long time. Good I got it to work properly. The ZS10 is back to cheap plastic.

This seems like a slightly shortsighted reply. KZ has pretty much always been about quantity, having tons of models on the shelves. Often lots of redundancy across a few signature types, usually set within unique shells or variants. Right now they still have well over 10 models readily available for purchase, most of which were released within the last year or two. All the new models coming up are right in line with what they've done in the past, just now with hybrid tech that they've been testing and tweaking with the ZST, ES3, ZS5/6 and ZSR. The biggest difference I see is they've actually announced a plan, unlike before where they would seemingly at random release new models with maybe some leaked info getting out before the model dropped. If anything, announcing all those new models simultaneously could be great for generating early interest.

Considering most of them are 1+1 hybrids, prices are probably going to still be quite low which will continue to attend to their bread-and-butter market. And, going more upscale with other models has been EXACTLY what people have been asking for for years. Just peruse this thread. First it was hybrids. We've got that now. Then it was something pricier and more upscale, but still affordable. The ZS6 was a good go at it. The ZS10 might be just the thing though given its a 5 driver hybrid with a crossover. I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they do with this new lineup and will be reserving judgment till I try them out for myself. They could be a horrendous abomination, sure, but they could also be amazing.

Their plastics have also been quite good over the years, with the exception of some of their really old models like the DS. Their current plastic bodied iems still feel better than a lot of more expensive products, like those from Sennheiser, JVC, Marley, Sony, and other name brands, not to mention comparing to similarly priced Chi-Fi offerings like the BGVP DN1 which feels as cheap as it is. The ZS6 is crazy overbuilt for the price though, and I definitely wouldn't complain if they applied that quality to the full lineup. That said, as long as their plastics remain at least as dense and durable as what they're using for their current lineup, they'll be just fine.

Lastly, having heard lots of totl and reference gear, I'm even more pleased with my KZ collection. Would rather have multiple good earphones of varying signatures than one amazing earphone with one signature.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #29,389 of 63,981
I agree with Coil. Since releasing the ZS5, it was evident that KZ were digging the bigger money. And announcing 10 new models of almost the same simultaneously, shows a somewhat unfocused company planning (remember Apple in the early 90s?). And such quantity makes me suspicious of the quality offered. A highly competent company such as Sennheiser would not do that.

And I am siding with Slater that the ZS10, 11, 12, and 15 won't be much of an "upgrade" over the current sound, considering people still have to mod their current multi-driver models to sound tolerable...as opposed to their $5 single-driver models. I speculate modding will have to continue with the new models.

And when everybody counts the money spent on their 30 KZ earphones, this could have bought them one or more top-of-the-line reference earphones.

What sets the ZS6 apart is its attractive metal body with its attractive design lifted from the Campfire Andromeda. It probably will be their company highlight in terms of eye candy and workmanship for a long time. Good I got it to work properly. The ZS10 is back to cheap plastic.

Well said.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #29,390 of 63,981
To be honest, i'm more contented with some of KZ discontinued model like the HDS3. I wonder why they discontinue one of the best product ever made, it's like now everything has to be big and covers your ears and looks stylish as if it's a custom IEM. But as a KZ collector, one just cannot stop to collect it all lol ...just like pokemons.

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #29,391 of 63,981
I am looking forward to your review on them, and the comparisons.

With everyone saying that the CM5 is one of the most comfortable IEMs ever, I am tempted to just place an order.

PS. Also I am curious how you thought Trance sounded with the CM5? As that is one of the main genres I listen to.
Test track- LASER KISSED VIBES #055 by DJ Lifted Andreas (Ret.)... A track you may be familiar with :ksc75smile:

All testing done with New Bee Large and Medium foam tips turned backwards on the IEM nozzle to fit my weird wide/shallow ear openings. Sources; ZTE Axon 7 Mini with the so-called "audiophile" AKM AK4962 DAC/amp/CODEC and a garden variety HP PC with sound from the motherboard stock soundcard.

Trance is one of my favorites, too.

ZS5 quick comparison:
CM5 has a good amount of deep, detailed bass that makes trance or just about any genre EDM come alive. Quick A/B with ZS5- ZS5v1 is much louder on my phone at the same volume setting- my ZTE Axon 7 Mini has a auto-impedance sensing DAC/Amp in it. On the PC's built in sound card the ZS5 is quieter than the CM5- interesting. My phone must be reacting to the ZS5v11's ultra-low 4-ish ohm impedance.
Anyway, for my preferences, the CM5 wipes the floor with the ZS5- On the PC sound card, as well as my phone. Vocals are clearer, bass hits harder and lower with more detail. This is hard for a dyed-in-the-wool KZ fanboy, :triportsad: but even the soundstage and instrument separation are better.

On to the ZS6 quick comparison:
Fairly evenly matched. CM5 sub bass and bass hit harder and are more detailed. Mids are more forward vs. the ZS6, making vocals clearer in the mix. CM5 treble is extended without the famous harsh spike of the KZ. I would say that there is more treble, but smoother than the ZS6.

The KZs are good IEMS for the money, but the CM5 is gooder-er, smoother-er and better-er.

Disclaimer time again: These evaluations are after taking about a week of getting used to the sound signature of the UiiSii. When I first started listening to them, I felt as if something was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. If I listen to the ZS6 or 5 exclusively for a week then compare it to the CM5, my preference may go completely the other way. Humans were not made for precise sound measurement, we are very subjective, no matter how hard we try to be objective.

In my subjective opinion, the CM5 is a steal at the $12 to 23 they can be had for, and certainly worth a try. If you hate them, you can sell them on, or even trash them and not be out much.

In conclusion, I likes it.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #29,393 of 63,981
Test track- LASER KISSED VIBES #055 by DJ Lifted Andreas (Ret.)... A track you may be familiar with :ksc75smile:

All testing done with New Bee Large and Medium foam tips turned backwards on the IEM nozzle to fit my weird wide/shallow ear openings. Sources; ZTE Axon 7 Mini with the so-called "audiophile" AKM AK4962 DAC/amp/CODEC and a garden variety HP PC with sound from the motherboard stock soundcard.

Trance is one of my favorites, too.

ZS5 quick comparison:
CM5 has a good amount of deep, detailed bass that makes trance or just about any genre EDM come alive. Quick A/B with ZS5- ZS5v1 is much louder on my phone at the same volume setting- my ZTE Axon 7 Mini has a auto-impedance sensing DAC/Amp in it. On the PC's built in sound card the ZS5 is quieter than the CM5- interesting. My phone must be reacting to the ZS5v11's ultra-low 4-ish ohm impedance.
Anyway, for my preferences, the CM5 wipes the floor with the ZS5- On the PC sound card, as well as my phone. Vocals are clearer, bass hits harder and lower with more detail. This is hard for a dyed-in-the-wool KZ fanboy, :triportsad: but even the soundstage and instrument separation are better.

On to the ZS6 quick comparison:
Fairly evenly matched. CM5 sub bass and bass hit harder and are more detailed. Mids are more forward vs. the ZS6, making vocals clearer in the mix. CM5 treble is extended without the famous harsh spike of the KZ. I would say that there is more treble, but smoother than the ZS6.

The KZs are good IEMS for the money, but the CM5 is gooder-er, smoother-er and better-er.

Disclaimer time again: These evaluations are after taking about a week of getting used to the sound signature of the UiiSii. When I first started listening to them, I felt as if something was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. If I listen to the ZS6 or 5 exclusively for a week then compare it to the CM5, my preference may go completely the other way. Humans were not made for precise sound measurement, we are very subjective, no matter how hard we try to be objective.

In my subjective opinion, the CM5 is a steal at the $12 to 23 they can be had for, and certainly worth a try. If you hate them, you can sell them on, or even trash them and not be out much.

In conclusion, I likes it.

Wow that is an awesome write up mate, thank you so much! I was surprised to see there are no reviews of the CM5 on Head-Fi. Hopefully yours will be the first!

PS. Earlier this happened:

IMG_20180322_182411.jpg

I couldn't resist at that price, they are even more expensive on Ali!

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #29,394 of 63,981
Wow that is an awesome write up mate, thank you so much! I was surprised to see there are no reviews of the CM5 on Head-Fi. Hopefully yours will be the first!

Oops. Well, accidents happen. Now you'll just have to live with your mistake... :ksc75smile:

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #29,395 of 63,981

offtopic: are the trn v20 that good? kinda interested since they are pretty cheap

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #29,396 of 63,981
Oh, imagine the possibilities with ZS10 - we are going to be putting all kinds of stuff in that balanced armature chamber. All the foams and cottons. Also, testing which frequencies are covered by DD will be a lot easier now that there are separate nozzles.

I've ordered two ZS10s because localy KZ sells amazingly well and currently it's possible to find some nice preorder deals. Like them - keep them, hate them - mod them, still hate them - sell them without loss.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #29,397 of 63,981
Oops. Well, accidents happen. Now you'll just have to live with your mistake... :ksc75smile:

Yeah, I guess I'll have to live with it while enjoying the graphene dual dynamic sound and excellent comfort. :p

Have to thank you and @Slater for introducing me to the UiiSii CM5!

offtopic: are the trn v20 that good? kinda interested since they are pretty cheap

To my ears they are amazing value for the price I paid. I'm still on a honeymoon period with them but so far I don't regret my purchase one bit!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #29,398 of 63,981
Oh, imagine the possibilities with ZS10 - we are going to be putting all kinds of stuff in that balanced armature chamber. All the foams and cottons. Also, testing which frequencies are covered by DD will be a lot easier now that there are separate nozzles.

I've ordered two ZS10s because localy KZ sells amazingly well and currently it's possible to find some nice preorder deals. Like them - keep them, hate them - mod them, still hate them - sell them without loss.
Btw, i've finally solved the problem with a freaky peak at 11 kHz of the zs6 - I've bought KZ ATE. Muuuahahahaha!
So, I'm ready to face new challenge. Come on, zs10! :D

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #29,399 of 63,981
Yeah, I guess I'll have to live with it while enjoying the sound and comfort. :p

Have to thank you and @Slater for introducing me to the UiiSii CM5!

To my ears they are amazing value for the price I paid. I'm still on a honeymoon period with them but so far I don't regret my purchase one bit!
Oh, could you tell me, please, what about a bass there? Is it a good choice for a basshead? (I mean the v20)

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #29,400 of 63,981
Just got the kz zs6 grey bass version, I've been comparing them sound wise to the black ones I have and I can hear a small difference, the grey ones actually sound like if I have live music on or the virtualizer. I don't know if this will change with burning but I like the sound of the black much better, the gey actually feel like a downgrade on sound quality. Hopefully this will change after burning,I don't know what they've changed but it has too much bass. What new models are out so far? I'm going to buy the kz zs10 tonight, anything else out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back