1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. WalterTorino
    Nope, only the zs10 for now.

2. oyobass
    I have never heard the TRN v20, but I heard that they are nice.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Lifted Andreas likes this.
  3. Nikostr8
    iim waiting for the aliexpress offer so i can pick it for 10 euros ,also the Trn v10 cable (4.5 euro in a few days ) its compatible with kz earphones (angled pin connector ) so i bought one for my zst , it definitely looks better than the kz silver one. i would comment about it when it arrive

WalterTorino likes this.
  4. Lifted Andreas
    I'm still burning them in, but so far I can tell the bass presence and extension is pretty good if you can get the correct seal which seems to be difficult for me with my weird ears.

The bass though doesn't overwhelm any other frequencies, its very responsive and quick. I wouldn't say that its on a basshead level though. The IEM overall actually sounds pretty balanced to my ears, although I usually prefer and listen to V shaped IEMs so thats not saying much.

5. DocHoliday
    B9's words were well chosen and they echo my sentiments to the letter.

Regarding in-ear monitors, I am a "hobbyist".

I could have put a cork on things long ago if it was just about finding an IEM that worked for me......but being a "hobbyist", I enjoy the journey as I discover absolute gems every once in a while.

Some people collect seashells and others collect watches. If the first watch was working properly is it foolish to get another? No, because the hobby is NOT solely about utility.

Some people collect those ridiculous little spoons every time they go out of town while others collect beer from micro-breweries.

Jay Leno purchased "Rosebud", his 1955 Buick RoadMaster for $350 back in 1972. Like me, Jay finds something interesting and noteworthy about every item in his collection. Tens of thousands tune in to his show, just as many tune in here, to learn something they didn't know before. Not everyone on head-fi is a hobbyist. Some just don't have the time for it because they have more pressing issues in their life at the moment (new wife, new baby, etc.), but some of us tune in to see what's new and interesting while still others become a "Jay Leno", if you will. If you are a hobbyist then it's likely that you find joy in the journey.....and, yes, you can count me as one such "collector" of price-to-performance in-ears.

The bottom line is that few companies do "price-to-performance" better than KZ on a consistent basis.

Proof:

MicroRing
    ANV
    ED3 "Perfection"
    ED3 "Acme"
    EDSE
    ED8
    ED9
    ED10
    ED11
    EDR1
    EDR2
    HDS1
    HDS3
    ATE
    ATR
    ZS1
    ZS3
    ZST
    ES3
    ZSR
    ZS5(i)
    ZS6
    and counting.....

With the exception of the current ATE and ATR (according to reports) I can tell you from direct experience that no two of these in-ear monitors sound the same.

In closing I will say that KZ should take advantage of the opportunity they have in the ZSR's development. It is my opinion that KZ could actually reset the bar or raise the standard for what a great price-to-performance in-ear monitor should be.

How so?
    (let's dub this IEM as the ES1)

1) Improve the ZSR housing by offering it in ceramic instead of plastic.
    (the ZS6's improved materials make it a vastly superior model to the ZS5's plastic housing in my opinion. Likewise, ceramic housing would make our "ES1" a vastly superior model to the ZSR's plastic housing giving the ES1 a more premium feel.)

2) Issue our newly dubbed ES1 with the ZST's 8mm dynamic driver as opposed to the ES3's 10mm dynamic driver found in the ZSR.

3) Issue our newly dubbed ES1 with a basic microphone cable and one upgrade cable.

4) Everything else remains as it is in the ZSR.

End result:

A clean and balanced sound signature displaying fast and punchy bass with a centered midrange, fatigue-free micro-details and an incredibly wide and airy soundstage.

If you own the ZSR then you will get my point because the only controversial frequency on the ZSR is the tuning of the bass. Some find it to be too much while others absolutely love it. Offer a variation with cleaner/faster bass so the soundstage gains air and perhaps width. This would also present a relatively balanced sound signature with incredible detail from 20hz to perhaps 14khz. Having a highly detailed and balanced sound signature in a high quality ceramic housing with detachable cables at the $35+/- price-point would indeed set a new standard and would be very difficult for competitors to topple. The Rock Zircon was a ceramic-bodied IEM at the $18 price-point and KZ has proven itself to be more adept at manufacturing in-ear monitors than Rock ever was. The Tinn Audio T2 is $50+/-. The BossHiFi B3 is $30+/- (permanent cables).... and so on and so on..... There is competition to be sure, but KZ is the king of consistent price-to-performance value.

The new crop of KZ IEM's about to ship out seem fine enough but I believe Knowledge Zenith would be overlooking a huge opportunity if they quickly move past the effort and time that was invested in the ZSR's development. Apparently, KZ has been working on the ZS10 for over a year, so it should be phenomenal but this opportunity could slip right through their fingers if they're not paying attention.

Knowledge Zenith's single dynamic driver ATE(ATR) has been one of KZ's most successful selling models for more than three years but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that our so called ES1 would set the new standard of what an excellent sub $40 hybrid in-ear monitor with detachable cables should be.

Bring on the new models but be wise enough to avoid spending time trying to capture the two birds in that bush when you have one bird in your hand already?

Just a thought. ....

6. WalterTorino
    Thanks a lot - seem to be an interesting model for me :)

7. Lifted Andreas
    No problem, I've put up a preliminary (work in progress) review of the TRN v20 which you can check out here if you want - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-v20-in-ear-monitor.23013/reviews

For the money (I paid around $20) I think they're totally worth it just on the sound alone!

WalterTorino likes this.
  8. Strat Rider
    I wasn't even near the fence let alone straddling it:beerchug:. BUT after the positive talk of an iem not named KZ, in a KZ thread, i just pushed the Amazon Prime, button...they will arrive on Sunday

9. DocHoliday
    Link please.

Or anyone else who has already ordered the ZS10.

10. oyobass
    I'm waiting for people to tell me how wrong my impressions are, lol.

11. Slater
    Just your mind playing tricks on you: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1934#post-14098992

12. Slater
    For bassheads, the KZ EDR1 edges out the UiiSii CM5 in that department (especially if you use KZ Starline tips).

WalterTorino likes this.
  13. WalterTorino
    And what about the ed9? A lot of people are recommending this model to me.

Aaand what about a sound signature of the edr1 at all? Except a bass is it a good sounding model?

14. Strat Rider
    Not that I have an overabundance of funds, but for the Azon price......worth a gamble. (Besides, Starbucks isn't going bankrupt because I didn't get my venti, quad, caramel macchiato on Saturday)
    Aahhh who the heck am I kidding, not giving up over hyped, over priced coffee. BESIDES Most people know, caffeine HELPS stimulate the tiny hairs in the ears, LOL.
    And at this price, most people that have the CM5, make a point of them being so comfortable.
    Apparently can be used as earplugs when I want to ignore the wife!

Just to stay on topic, I just modded a new pair of ZS6 with poster tack over one BA. Treble doesn't bother me. Just Curious.

15. nxnje
    @Slater i tried to pull out the nozzle "cage" which i'm attaching the pic, but i can't find a way to put it out, i don't have any instrument to do that.

@zazaboy and even @Slater i saw ThePhonograph (don't wanna promote that site) made a review about the ate, saying mids sound recessed and sometimes harsh, sub bass isn't a lot present and bass bleeds onto mid frequencies, and they even wrote highs are not detailed and you can't feel the definition on the trebles.

What do you think about it? Thought ate was a well balanced iem.
    I even saw hd9 was reviewed but i've read it has boosted trebles which i don't like actually.
    Just wanna try something under 10 euros that sounds probably better and more clear/balanced on the spectrum than my memt x5.