Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #29,401 of 63,998
Just got the kz zs6 grey bass version, I've been comparing them sound wise to the black ones I have and I can hear a small difference, the grey ones actually sound like if I have live music on or the virtualizer. I don't know if this will change with burning but I like the sound of the black much better, the gey actually feel like a downgrade on sound quality. Hopefully this will change after burning,I don't know what they've changed but it has too much bass. What new models are out so far? I'm going to buy the kz zs10 tonight, anything else out there?
Nope, only the zs10 for now.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #29,402 of 63,998
offtopic: are the trn v20 that good? kinda interested since they are pretty cheap
I have never heard the TRN v20, but I heard that they are nice.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #29,403 of 63,998
I have never heard the TRN v20, but I heard that they are nice.

iim waiting for the aliexpress offer so i can pick it for 10 euros ,also the Trn v10 cable (4.5 euro in a few days ) its compatible with kz earphones (angled pin connector ) so i bought one for my zst , it definitely looks better than the kz silver one. i would comment about it when it arrive

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #29,404 of 63,998
Oh, could you tell me, please, what about a bass there? Is it a good choice for a basshead? (I mean the v20)

I'm still burning them in, but so far I can tell the bass presence and extension is pretty good if you can get the correct seal which seems to be difficult for me with my weird ears.

The bass though doesn't overwhelm any other frequencies, its very responsive and quick. I wouldn't say that its on a basshead level though. The IEM overall actually sounds pretty balanced to my ears, although I usually prefer and listen to V shaped IEMs so thats not saying much.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #29,405 of 63,998
This seems like a slightly shortsighted reply. KZ has pretty much always been about quantity, having tons of models on the shelves. Often lots of redundancy across a few signature types, usually set within unique shells or variants. Right now they still have well over 10 models readily available for purchase, most of which were released within the last year or two. All the new models coming up are right in line with what they've done in the past, just now with hybrid tech that they've been testing and tweaking with the ZST, ES3, ZS5/6 and ZSR. The biggest difference I see is they've actually announced a plan, unlike before where they would seemingly at random release new models with maybe some leaked info getting out before the model dropped. If anything, announcing all those new models simultaneously could be great for generating early interest.

Considering most of them are 1+1 hybrids, prices are probably going to still be quite low which will continue to attend to their bread-and-butter market. And, going more upscale with other models has been EXACTLY what people have been asking for for years. Just peruse this thread. First it was hybrids. We've got that now. Then it was something pricier and more upscale, but still affordable. The ZS6 was a good go at it. The ZS10 might be just the thing though given its a 5 driver hybrid with a crossover. I'm personally looking forward to seeing what they do with this new lineup and will be reserving judgment till I try them out for myself. They could be a horrendous abomination, sure, but they could also be amazing.

Their plastics have also been quite good over the years, with the exception of some of their really old models like the DS. Their current plastic bodied iems still feel better than a lot of more expensive products, like those from Sennheiser, JVC, Marley, Sony, and other name brands, not to mention comparing to similarly priced Chi-Fi offerings like the BGVP DN1 which feels as cheap as it is. The ZS6 is crazy overbuilt for the price though, and I definitely wouldn't complain if they applied that quality to the full lineup. That said, as long as their plastics remain at least as dense and durable as what they're using for their current lineup, they'll be just fine.

Lastly, having heard lots of totl and reference gear, I'm even more pleased with my KZ collection. Would rather have multiple good earphones of varying signatures than one amazing earphone with one signature.

B9's words were well chosen and they echo my sentiments to the letter.

Regarding in-ear monitors, I am a "hobbyist".

I could have put a cork on things long ago if it was just about finding an IEM that worked for me......but being a "hobbyist", I enjoy the journey as I discover absolute gems every once in a while.

Some people collect seashells and others collect watches. If the first watch was working properly is it foolish to get another? No, because the hobby is NOT solely about utility.

Some people collect those ridiculous little spoons every time they go out of town while others collect beer from micro-breweries.

Jay Leno purchased "Rosebud", his 1955 Buick RoadMaster for $350 back in 1972. Like me, Jay finds something interesting and noteworthy about every item in his collection. Tens of thousands tune in to his show, just as many tune in here, to learn something they didn't know before. Not everyone on head-fi is a hobbyist. Some just don't have the time for it because they have more pressing issues in their life at the moment (new wife, new baby, etc.), but some of us tune in to see what's new and interesting while still others become a "Jay Leno", if you will. If you are a hobbyist then it's likely that you find joy in the journey.....and, yes, you can count me as one such "collector" of price-to-performance in-ears.

The bottom line is that few companies do "price-to-performance" better than KZ on a consistent basis.

Proof:

MicroRing
ANV
ED3 "Perfection"
ED3 "Acme"
EDSE
ED8
ED9
ED10
ED11
EDR1
EDR2
HDS1
HDS3
ATE
ATR
ZS1
ZS3
ZST
ES3
ZSR
ZS5(i)
ZS6
and counting.....

With the exception of the current ATE and ATR (according to reports) I can tell you from direct experience that no two of these in-ear monitors sound the same.

In closing I will say that KZ should take advantage of the opportunity they have in the ZSR's development. It is my opinion that KZ could actually reset the bar or raise the standard for what a great price-to-performance in-ear monitor should be.

How so?
(let's dub this IEM as the ES1)

1) Improve the ZSR housing by offering it in ceramic instead of plastic.
(the ZS6's improved materials make it a vastly superior model to the ZS5's plastic housing in my opinion. Likewise, ceramic housing would make our "ES1" a vastly superior model to the ZSR's plastic housing giving the ES1 a more premium feel.)

2) Issue our newly dubbed ES1 with the ZST's 8mm dynamic driver as opposed to the ES3's 10mm dynamic driver found in the ZSR.

3) Issue our newly dubbed ES1 with a basic microphone cable and one upgrade cable.

4) Everything else remains as it is in the ZSR.

End result:

A clean and balanced sound signature displaying fast and punchy bass with a centered midrange, fatigue-free micro-details and an incredibly wide and airy soundstage.

If you own the ZSR then you will get my point because the only controversial frequency on the ZSR is the tuning of the bass. Some find it to be too much while others absolutely love it. Offer a variation with cleaner/faster bass so the soundstage gains air and perhaps width. This would also present a relatively balanced sound signature with incredible detail from 20hz to perhaps 14khz. Having a highly detailed and balanced sound signature in a high quality ceramic housing with detachable cables at the $35+/- price-point would indeed set a new standard and would be very difficult for competitors to topple. The Rock Zircon was a ceramic-bodied IEM at the $18 price-point and KZ has proven itself to be more adept at manufacturing in-ear monitors than Rock ever was. The Tinn Audio T2 is $50+/-. The BossHiFi B3 is $30+/- (permanent cables).... and so on and so on..... There is competition to be sure, but KZ is the king of consistent price-to-performance value.

The new crop of KZ IEM's about to ship out seem fine enough but I believe Knowledge Zenith would be overlooking a huge opportunity if they quickly move past the effort and time that was invested in the ZSR's development. Apparently, KZ has been working on the ZS10 for over a year, so it should be phenomenal but this opportunity could slip right through their fingers if they're not paying attention.

Knowledge Zenith's single dynamic driver ATE(ATR) has been one of KZ's most successful selling models for more than three years but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that our so called ES1 would set the new standard of what an excellent sub $40 hybrid in-ear monitor with detachable cables should be.

Bring on the new models but be wise enough to avoid spending time trying to capture the two birds in that bush when you have one bird in your hand already?

Just a thought. ....

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #29,406 of 63,998
I'm still burning them in, but so far I can tell the bass presence and extension is pretty good if you can get the correct seal which seems to be difficult for me with my weird ears.

The bass though doesn't overwhelm any other frequencies, its very responsive and quick. I wouldn't say that its on a basshead level though. The IEM overall actually sounds pretty balanced to my ears, although I usually prefer and listen to V shaped IEMs so thats not saying much.
Thanks a lot - seem to be an interesting model for me :)

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #29,407 of 63,998
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #29,408 of 63,998
Test track- LASER KISSED VIBES #055 by DJ Lifted Andreas (Ret.)... A track you may be familiar with :ksc75smile:

All testing done with New Bee Large and Medium foam tips turned backwards on the IEM nozzle to fit my weird wide/shallow ear openings. Sources; ZTE Axon 7 Mini with the so-called "audiophile" AKM AK4962 DAC/amp/CODEC and a garden variety HP PC with sound from the motherboard stock soundcard.

Trance is one of my favorites, too.

ZS5 quick comparison:
CM5 has a good amount of deep, detailed bass that makes trance or just about any genre EDM come alive. Quick A/B with ZS5- ZS5v1 is much louder on my phone at the same volume setting- my ZTE Axon 7 Mini has a auto-impedance sensing DAC/Amp in it. On the PC's built in sound card the ZS5 is quieter than the CM5- interesting. My phone must be reacting to the ZS5v11's ultra-low 4-ish ohm impedance.
Anyway, for my preferences, the CM5 wipes the floor with the ZS5- On the PC sound card, as well as my phone. Vocals are clearer, bass hits harder and lower with more detail. This is hard for a dyed-in-the-wool KZ fanboy, :triportsad: but even the soundstage and instrument separation are better.

On to the ZS6 quick comparison:
Fairly evenly matched. CM5 sub bass and bass hit harder and are more detailed. Mids are more forward vs. the ZS6, making vocals clearer in the mix. CM5 treble is extended without the famous harsh spike of the KZ. I would say that there is more treble, but smoother than the ZS6.

The KZs are good IEMS for the money, but the CM5 is gooder-er, smoother-er and better-er.

Disclaimer time again: These evaluations are after taking about a week of getting used to the sound signature of the UiiSii. When I first started listening to them, I felt as if something was missing, but I couldn't put my finger on it. If I listen to the ZS6 or 5 exclusively for a week then compare it to the CM5, my preference may go c

In my subjective opinion, the CM5 is a steal at the $12 to 23 they can be had for, and certainly worth a try. If you hate them, you can sell them on, or even trash them and not be out much.
[Snip]

In conclusion, I likes it.
I wasn't even near the fence let alone straddling it:beerchug:. BUT after the positive talk of an iem not named KZ, in a KZ thread, i just pushed the Amazon Prime, button...they will arrive on Sunday

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #29,409 of 63,998
Oh, imagine the possibilities with ZS10 - we are going to be putting all kinds of stuff in that balanced armature chamber. All the foams and cottons. Also, testing which frequencies are covered by DD will be a lot easier now that there are separate nozzles.

I've ordered two ZS10s because localy KZ sells amazingly well and currently it's possible to find some nice preorder deals. Like them - keep them, hate them - mod them, still hate them - sell them without loss.

Link please.

Or anyone else who has already ordered the ZS10.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #29,410 of 63,998
I wasn't even near the fence let alone straddling it:beerchug:. BUT after the positive talk of an iem not named KZ, in a KZ thread, i just pushed the Amazon Prime, button...they will arrive on Sunday
I'm waiting for people to tell me how wrong my impressions are, lol.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #29,411 of 63,998
Just got the kz zs6 grey bass version, I've been comparing them sound wise to the black ones I have and I can hear a small difference, the grey ones actually sound like if I have live music on or the virtualizer. I don't know if this will change with burning but I like the sound of the black much better, the gey actually feel like a downgrade on sound quality. Hopefully this will change after burning,I don't know what they've changed but it has too much bass. What new models are out so far? I'm going to buy the kz zs10 tonight, anything else out there?

Just your mind playing tricks on you: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1934#post-14098992

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #29,412 of 63,998
Oh, could you tell me, please, what about a bass there? Is it a good choice for a basshead? (I mean the v20)

For bassheads, the KZ EDR1 edges out the UiiSii CM5 in that department (especially if you use KZ Starline tips).

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #29,413 of 63,998
For bassheads, the KZ EDR1 edges out the UiiSii CM5 in that department (especially if you use KZ Starline tips).
And what about the ed9? A lot of people are recommending this model to me.

Aaand what about a sound signature of the edr1 at all? Except a bass is it a good sounding model?

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #29,414 of 63,998
I'm waiting for people to tell me how wrong my impressions are, lol.

Not that I have an overabundance of funds, but for the Azon price......worth a gamble. (Besides, Starbucks isn't going bankrupt because I didn't get my venti, quad, caramel macchiato on Saturday)
Aahhh who the heck am I kidding, not giving up over hyped, over priced coffee. BESIDES Most people know, caffeine HELPS stimulate the tiny hairs in the ears, LOL.
And at this price, most people that have the CM5, make a point of them being so comfortable.
Apparently can be used as earplugs when I want to ignore the wife!

Just to stay on topic, I just modded a new pair of ZS6 with poster tack over one BA. Treble doesn't bother me. Just Curious.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #29,415 of 63,998
I talked about uiisii cm5.. I thought its a better version of kz ate .. more like v2 or something .. I didnt mentioned the kz ate itself.. uiisii cm5 looks good imho and cheap

I think kz ate is the best bang for buck what you can get under 50 bucks... I like the sound signature.. because I listen lot of genres ... I like it more then the kz zs6 atm... I hope this helps

Yes, it sounds like you definitely have the new version.

Wow, believe it or not, I have the new "fresh" version as well! I like it a lot too.

You may be interested to know that the reason the mids and highs don't sound detailed is because there is a big piece of foam shoved inside of the nozzle. If you gently lift the nozzle screen with a sewing needle, you will see the foam piece directly under the screen. You just remove this foam using your sewing needle. Then you can stick the nozzle screen back into place. The nozzle screen has sticky adhesive on it, and it will stick right back into its original place. With the foam removed, the midrange and treble become much clearer. It improves the sound of the Piston Fresh Version by a large amount!

@Slater i tried to pull out the nozzle "cage" which i'm attaching the pic, but i can't find a way to put it out, i don't have any instrument to do that.

@zazaboy and even @Slater i saw ThePhonograph (don't wanna promote that site) made a review about the ate, saying mids sound recessed and sometimes harsh, sub bass isn't a lot present and bass bleeds onto mid frequencies, and they even wrote highs are not detailed and you can't feel the definition on the trebles.

What do you think about it? Thought ate was a well balanced iem.
I even saw hd9 was reviewed but i've read it has boosted trebles which i don't like actually.
Just wanna try something under 10 euros that sounds probably better and more clear/balanced on the spectrum than my memt x5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back