1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. nxnje
    What would u tip me for having a good bass, clear mids and detailed highs from the one u've tipped me?
    Is there one of them that is in your opinion a better bang for the buck?

2. snip3r77
    I echo what you said. Life is too short to listen to issue prone iem like kz

CoiL likes this.
  3. vegetaleb
    I am gonna grab a pair of ZSR for the AE anniversary , do you know if we can use both 1 and 2$ coupons for one item?
    The ZSR cable is the same sticky one like ATES?

4. jeromeaparis
    The Ate is one of the very first KZ earphone. The last vesion I have, lacks deep bass, and real trebles. The ZS3 I have, has a much more dynamic sound, with good bass.
    The ZST after 80hrs burnin has very good bass, detailed highs ZSR is even better than the ZST

5. CoiL
    100% disagree!

When did You get Your ATE? My last 2 ATEs are over month old and saound same (5th gen).
    Seems like You got a bad quality unit... or they have revised ATE again?!?
    Anyway, ATE 5th gen is great single dynamic and very coherent, great in mids with nice open laid-back soundstage. Certainly not lacking deep bass nor natural but detailed treble.

6. nxnje
    As you see the main problem of chinese cheap manufacturers like kz is that many people have different opinions about the same headphones, which makes me think that chinese companies produce headphones on the go with what they have avaiable, and not always with Standard components and tuning.

Anyway, i think i'm gonna save something to get a zsr, even if i'm not sure it will be comfortable as i tried zs3 and it was freaking uncomfy and big to me.

7. Slater
    Assuming you want a KZ, and you want to keep your budget under $10usd...

If you want more sub bass punch, get the EDR1. It's v-shaped, great for electromic music, hip hop, etc.

If you want something more towards neutral (but not totally flat and boring) - in other words, less sub bass and a little more midrange - get the EDR2, ATE, or HDS3.

If you are willing to spend around $20, then a good KZ option would be the ZSR).

If you want to consider another brand other than KZ, you have some other good choices too:
    • UiiSii CM5
    • BGVVP SGZ-DN1 (also known as the NiceHCK Bro)
    • Urbanfun HiFi
    • Einsear T2

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Lifted Andreas likes this.
  8. nxnje
    Thanks a lot!
    Gonna see if prices go down and then i can try picking one of em.
    Edr2 heard some bad things while hds3 see good

9. Slater
    Nah, you're right Coil. I recently got a nice factory-fresh ATE and it's as good as always. Still ATE v5 (KZ hasn't changed a thing).

I think many of these ATE problems are people using the crap hard foam tips that come with the ATE (or else not getting a good seal). Those need to be thrown in the garbage can and some better tips used (specifically wide bore tips).

rayliam80, groucho69 and oyobass like this.
  10. CoiL
    Yeah... that`s possible and add revisions without notifying ppl, results totally different opinions. But this is KZ...
    Glad I have 3 units of 5th gen ATEs as backup (all sounding same) + 1 2nd gen FF-mod.

11. Slater
    There's always going to be people that say good things about any IEM, and people that say bad things about the same IEM.

We all have different ears, different tastes, listen to different genres of music, and use different sources. All of those factors have an influence on the end result.

Many IEMs sound better when used with an amplifier, and some don't improve at all with an amplifier. Some IEMs sound perfectly fine with a cell phone. Some IEMs sound terrible when used with one specific model of phone, but sound great when used with other phones.

The nice thing about many of these IEMs is that they only cost a few dollars. I mean, the EDR2 is around $4usd. That's what a good cup of coffee costs (outside of Italy of course, as Italy has govt price controls in place for good coffee LOL). The point is that if you can spend $4 to TRY a possibly good IEM, why not? You may end up loving it! And if it turns out that you don't like it at all, give it to a friend or family member or even stranger on the street as a "gift of music".

12. Lifted Andreas
    Amen.

What I love about Chi-fi though is that we can try different sound signatures without having to write a confession to why we killed our wallets.

You can spend your $4 or $6 or $10 and actually find a sound signature that YOU like.

PS. Actually interested in HDS3 lol, might have to snag one.

PPS: It looks like I won't be hanging onto the TRN v20 after all, so if anyone wants them after I finish my review then DM me. I'd prefer to send within the EU.

Slater likes this.
  13. Slater
    HDS3 has a great soundstage. It is an older model of KZ, but is very underrated. It has a somewhat unique sound in the KZ lineup. Every time I use mine, it pits a smile on my face and a spring in my step. Plus they are so tiny - you will wonder how they got such good sound out of something so small!

14. nxnje
    I'm curious to know something atm after all, assuming i will sure try something cheap from what you've just tipped me.

Is there any super cheap IEM like the fonge t01 price, that shares the same shape as the zsr?
    That would be great as i could pick it and see if the shape is ok and then spending more for the zsr which i've heard and read that sounds lovely pratically everywhere in the spectrum.

15. Lifted Andreas
    Very intrigued, always been a fan of smaller IEMs in general. I see the HDS3 were released in 2015 lol

For some reason KZ store on Ali doesn't dispatch them from China anymore so I cant get them (at least not from KZ). RIP :frowning2: