Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #29,161 of 63,917
Don't want to sidetrack too much, but can you give some more impressions on it?

I've been looking to get a new dzat df-10 since my old one was defective (got a refund), but the MH1C looks pretty good

I have not had it very long and have only listened to it a few times... partly because of the cable and partly because I have too many choices. There are other members who can tell you much more.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #29,162 of 63,917
Amazon if I "have" to get them soon. GearBest if I want a good deal and can wait.

In general I go to aliexpress.com for Chi-Fi. However Gearbest has a special relationship with KZ and gets releases before other places. They also have great deals after about a month of the initial release. There is a thread here that regularly lists Gearbest deals and there are usually a few KZ deals in them. You'll need to try AliExpress for older models.

Edit: after seeing @Slater 's post below I should add that sometimes you can find items at Amazon for the same or even less than a Chinese website so if you are located where Amazon is an option always check there.

I've gotten them from Gearbest, Aliexpress, Amazon, ebay, dhgate, fasttech, and banggood.

If I'm in no rush (98% of the time), I just buy it where it's available for the best price (including any coupons, flash sales, etc).

Thank you all for answering, i try to get them from amazon (fulfilled by amazon), to get that great warranty, but now i'm thinking of getting the ZSR and don't know where to get, probably will be on GearBest since they have paypal.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #29,163 of 63,917
Mar 16, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #29,164 of 63,917
Thank you all for answering, i try to get them from amazon (fulfilled by amazon), to get that great warranty, but now i'm thinking of getting the ZSR and don't know where to get, probably will be on GearBest since they have paypal.
GearBest is my only choice in Chinese vendors precisely because they take PayPal. Some vendors on Ali Express take it too, but it's not consistent site-wide.

Mar 16, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #29,165 of 63,917
I've seen many of recabled MH1C going around in my local forum, so, it can definitely be done

I would love to see some pictures but it might be too off topic.

I do have three KZ iems :)

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #29,166 of 63,917
Try narrowing the nozzle (not wide bores).

You can narrow it with a super narrow eartip (even more narrow than the Starlines), the washer mod, a strip of silicone, a piece of heat shrink tubing, a cut off silicone eartip core (basically a glorified piece of silicone tubing), etc.

Like these examples:

Heat shrink tubing method:

Silicone strip/cut off core method:

Washer mod method:
Thanks, the super narrow eartips could be the ones that came with the KZ ZS3. Heat shrink or washers may be too hard to get a hold of. I also have micropore tape. The art is too mod it so that only the treble is tamed.

On that note, my friend dropped off a modded pair of Blitzwolf ES1 this evening. Have to read in detail how it was done but they sound fabulous. The mod tamed both the bass and treble, it effectively removed the v-shape towards neutral. Blue tackers and bassheads may be appalled.

BW-ES1 Jurgen stock vs advanced-1.jpg

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #29,167 of 63,917
… i think it's a throwback to the old time when people wear their walkmans on their belt.
Sure was whippersnapper. Back then we had to walk barefoot… through the snow… 10 miles… uphill each way… just to get to the local record store just to buy the latest cassingle

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #29,168 of 63,917
Just a note since you seem to be new in ordering from Chinese websites. Most including Gearbest have a free shipping option. If you look through the thread you'll see all sorts of humorous comments like their purchase is being swum to them because those really inexpensive shipping choices can take 8 weeks or even more for the item to get to you. E-packet is the best option in the cost versus time equation assuming you are in the USA. For something a few ounces like a pair of inexpensive earphones it should be under $5. Gearbest did then didn't offer e-packet and I've not ordered from them this year so I don't know the current availability. They generally have free, a cheap airmail option, I think it was priority line which was still cheap but more expensive than the airmail and then an expensive choice by what in the USA is overnight shippers like DHL, FedEx, etc. Look for the one that lists about 14 days as the shipping time. For the probably $3 it will cost you'll get your earphones in less than 3 weeks instead of possibly more than 2 months.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #29,169 of 63,917
Sure was whippersnapper. Back then we had to walk barefoot… through the snow… 10 miles… uphill each way… just to get to the local record store just to buy the latest cassingle

Ah, those were the days. I still remember when I bought my Thriller cassette the day it went on sale at Peaches. I wore that tape out in my Walkman from playing it so much. At least until one tragic day when the Walkman ate it like a spaghetti dinner :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #29,170 of 63,917
Ah, those were the days. I still remember when I bought my Thriller cassette the day it went on sale at Peaches. I wore that bad boy out in my Walkman, until one day when the Walkman ate it like a spaghetti dinner :frowning2:

the horror of casette tape jam :sob::sob:

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #29,172 of 63,917
I definitely don't recommend bright-leaning IEMs for commuting purposes.
The bass will simply disappear
.......which forces you to increase the volume
.......which will only increase the intensity of the BA's (regarding hybrids & BA IEMs.
.......which will only damage your hearing.

It is best to choose a warm-leaning and bass-forward IEM when it comes to commuting otherwise the bass gets lost due to the low frequency hum of bus engines and truck engines.

For commuting I'd go with one of the following:
ATE
ATR
EDR1
ZSR (maybe)
ED8
ED3 "Acme"
DZAT DF-10
BossHiFi S1 (maybe)
ZS3 (unmodified)
ES3 (perhaps)

Use the analytical IEMs at home or in a QUIET office and save your hearing.

Hope this was helpful.
Yeah, I have used many of them on my commute. Definitely ATR/ATE and ZSR/ES4/ZST (ZST and ATE worked well on intercontinental flights), EDR1/DZAT DF10 may not stay in when moving around....I like this kind in bed as they can be easily removed when going to sleep. Anything that seals well with a strongish bass and decent punch and a good hold (monitor shape with memory wire). We also had the punchy MEMT X5 here for gym use. Even the Sony MH1C work well as they have a very good isolation...if you can handle the cable.

Same selection works for listening when drunk!

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #29,173 of 63,917
On that note, my friend dropped off a modded pair of Blitzwolf ES1 this evening. Have to read in detail how it was done but they sound fabulous. The mod tamed both the bass and treble, it effectively removed the v-shape towards neutral. Blue tackers and bassheads may be appalled.

Good work, how did he tamed just the treble? With some rubber in the tip as Slater presented? When I try to dampen it on a ear side, the 3khz drops, but 5khz stays higher. The 12khz is ok, for me 5khz is the most apparent in some songs.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #29,175 of 63,917

Only 10 miles. Man you were lucky!

uphill.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back